General Motors interesting GTO advertising for the now soon to be DEAD GTO

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Hemifyd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Motors interesting GTO advertising for the now soon to be DEAD GTO

Check out this Road and Track article on how the SRT-8 flat out beat the GTO by 5 mph...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=2905

R/T quote "but for this duo the drag strip is still the happiest place on earth. They flat smoke down the quarter mile...each in the 13s. The edge goes to the Charger with a fleet 13.3 seconds at 108.2 mph, with gearchanges from its 5-speed automatic so crisp it feels like it's been fitted with a speed-shop shift kit. The GTO leaves equally hard, but the long throws and somewhat imprecise action of its 6-speed manual prevent extracting those last tenths of a second — it clocked a 13.7 at 103.9 mph. "

Granted this is a limited run SRT-8 vs. GTO but with simple mods all Chargers can easily turn 425 HP.

Where in the @#!* does Pontiac (AKA Pile of Yak) they get off saying buy the GTO for the KO over Charger???

Old 04-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Rivalry
Professional
Default RE: General Motors interesting GTO advertising for the now soon to be DEAD GTO

Let him buy the GTO, I will stick with my Charger that seem to of won all but one of his "events"...the price tag

Old 04-29-2006, 01:46 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: General Motors interesting GTO advertising for the now soon to be DEAD GTO

ORIGINAL: Hemifyd

Check out this Road and Track article on how the SRT-8 flat out beat the GTO by 5 mph...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=2905

R/T quote "but for this duo the drag strip is still the happiest place on earth. They flat smoke down the quarter mile...each in the 13s. The edge goes to the Charger with a fleet 13.3 seconds at 108.2 mph, with gearchanges from its 5-speed automatic so crisp it feels like it's been fitted with a speed-shop shift kit. The GTO leaves equally hard, but the long throws and somewhat imprecise action of its 6-speed manual prevent extracting those last tenths of a second — it clocked a 13.7 at 103.9 mph. "

Granted this is a limited run SRT-8 vs. GTO but with simple mods all Chargers can easily turn 425 HP.

Where in the @#!* does Pontiac (AKA Pile of Yak) they get off saying buy the GTO for the KO over Charger???
That's easy....the GTO is a fully loaded model at like $32k.....so for the price....its far cheaper then the SRT-8. Also, this is the BASE model LS2 model V8.....and it only puts out 400hp...while still getting much better mpg then the 6.1 SRT motor....

I'd take either one....but the big difference is the trannies here...

Old 04-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Chryco4Life
Rookie

When this article first came out I wrote to them saying that they are on glue! All they could say was, Oooh the GTO is cheaper... I said before and I say again: if I could afford the soft cheese-looking GTO then why the heck wouldn't I just get the edgy, attention-grabbing SRT-8? I quote them as saying that ten grand swayed their descision. Give me a break, guys. Also, since these are high performance V8's, I personally don't care about fuel economy, or I wouldn't be in the market for one in the first place.

To me, the GTO looks as if it was designed in the '90s. And if I'm not mistaken, it's basically a re-badged (albeit outdated) Holden? Sorry, but I can't remember the name of that car.

Now, I AM a Mopar nut, but I can still be objective (I give every car a chance). So, with all this test data at hand, I would have objectively chosen the SRT-8.

Just my opinion, but I'm sure that as you read this you are thinking the same thing!

Old 05-24-2006, 06:23 PM
gpzjack
Veteran

Both are ugly. I think the charger would look great as a 2 door but otherwise think its ugly. The GTO Looks like a bar of soap...Looks like something Ford would make. LOL

Old 05-24-2006, 07:26 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

The GTO IS ugly. That explains why I've only seen a few around town.....

Dusty

Old 05-24-2006, 08:57 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

They wrote this article so GM didnt have to keep giving the GTO away for peanuts. So some lucky reader would say hey I want a GTO over a Charger b/c they said it was better. DER not even the same class but cheaper!

Old 05-24-2006, 09:58 PM
b3nzyme

I AM ROTFL! HAHAHAHA!! I absolutely LOVE it that we beat them with an automatic. that's so funny. think of how much more ownage we would have caused with a manual. It's like i say to all the mustang drivers that tell me "you beat me barely" in my 4.7. Ihave to remind them. DITCH! YOU JUST GOT PWNZED! by a QUAD cab and on top of that, an AUTOMATIC! and not just any automatic, its the slow 5-SPEED! ROTFLMFAO! then they try to speed off in anger and then shift into second all screwed up-style and i just laugh harder.

Quick Reply: General Motors interesting GTO advertising for the now soon to be DEAD GTO