Mahogany - DodgeForum.com

Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Mahogany

Old 11-18-2004, 01:18 AM
2004sxt
Veteran
Default Mahogany

Just curious as to the following(I'm always asking people one of the following questions or sometimes all of them)

1. What do you all do for a living?
2. What do you want to be doing for a living?
3. Do you enjoy what you do?
4. How did you get to where you are?
5. Any advice for someone living paycheck to paycheck?

Sorry if the question is too fourthcomming, I'm just a curious cat

1. I work two jobs; bussing tables at O'Charleys and making pizza at Hungry Howie's
2. I wish I was working at a job that was a little higher class, more prestigious I suppose. A job where people respect me and where I would get rewarded for doing a better job than others who are in my same position. I'm going to school at ITT Technical Institue right now to become certified in the CADD field. Anyway, basically what I am hoping to become is an automotive design engineer.
3. I don't really enjoy what I do for work but it pays the bills.
4. I've been working at Hungry Howie's for about 3 years and I got that job through my older brother. I've been working at O'Charley's for about 4 months and I got that job through my cousin.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:24 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member
Default RE: Mahogany

ORIGINAL: 2004sxt

1. Im stock at Farmer Jack, been doing it for 3 1/2 years, and im only 17.
2. I want to go to Kettering, get some sort of engineering degree then work for one fo teh Big three except gm or ford.
3. Farmer Jack has been kind to em tahts why i stay there. they let thigns slid with me so i get away with more...
4. My nieghbor worked there and hooked me up.
5. ummm dont do what i do, which is pay off teh debts from teh month before btu be so short on money i start new debts for teh enxt month.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:29 AM
LilMzRam
Record Breaker

1. I'm a Receiver at Lowe's
2. Work for the NWS, something to do with storms/ storm tracking, I love the weather
3. Not really, it's just a job
4. A friend of my mom's was working as a manager, got me the job
5. Not really...I'm doing the same! Ok, so I try not to spend too much and start a savings account, you really don't miss the money you put in there, I put $100 in a month, and it's nothing I miss.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:48 AM
[email protected] Squ33

1) I'm a fire alarm technician. I'm the guy who makes sure the building you enter every day for work is safe for occupation. I'm also the guy who shuts said building down if I deem it unoccupyable (is that even a word?)
2) In all honesty, I like what I do. It's fun. But what I'd really love to do is work where I am at and have my own publishing company. I'm tired of turning in manuscripts to publishers an dbeing told no. Granted, I finally found one but it would be so cool to have my own company. I've even got a name and a company logo already, it'd be called Industrial Publishing. The logo is a picture of squares and rectangles made to look like buildings and smoke stacks of factories. Then mI put smoke coming from the stacks. And underneath the buildings I've got the words "Industrial Publishing" but it's in words that look like they were written by a machine.
3) I've been doing it for about 6 years. So, yes.
4) My fatehr worked for the same company I do for 38 years. Ever since I was old enough I'd go to work with him so I got to learn about what he did at a young age. About 6 years ago I was delivering car parts (my other favorite thing) and he called me at work and told me there was an opening, he told me he got me an interview (I was also informed that it would not guarantee me a job; so he did not get me the job) Ever since I was little I wanted to do what he did. The three things that got me the job were: A) I was an electrical apprentice for 3 years working on becoming an electrician, B) I am certified in AutoCad 2000 (its an $8k drafting program), and C) since I had an electrical background and my favorite hobby is cars, which means I can self teach my self things and I can work with my hands. I didn't go to school to learn any of what I know with the exception of AutoCad.
5) Nope. No advice. I do the same thing and I'm 27. But I have been told that once you get married it helps a lot.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:59 AM
LilMzRam
Record Breaker

Sweet, you're an electrician? I had briefly thought about doing that, I took a class in high school where we were trained in house wiring and plumbing, and I really enjoyed the electrical part of it. But then I figured I really wouldn't enjoy it, having to work with nasty, pervy men, and the idea of working in attics, or on narrow beams scared the heck outta me. I wired some lights in my ex's garage, and had to lay on top of 2x4's, in the attic, and it scared me, thinking I could fall through! Ok, so I'm a girl..lol. Anyways, I'll let you all get back to topic.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:27 PM
queenHEMI
All Star

1. Dairy Farmer & Mom
2. See above
3. Yes , most of the time .... ( like 98 % happy ) DRINK MORE MILK
4. FSA Loan
5. I'm 26 and doing the same thing .... it sucks but I'm trying to pay down my debt
(doing that eat what I grow thing helps...that and not going out or blowing money on Crap that I don't really need )

Old 11-18-2004, 12:45 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

1) Quality Assurance engineering supervisor for a defense contractor, and a call firefighter.
2) Would have been a full-time firefighter (too late/old to change now).
3) Not enthusiastically, but it's a good paycheck.
4) Too long a story to get into here.
5) You have 2 options- increase income or decrease outgo; whatever it takes to accomplish one or the other.

Old 11-18-2004, 03:55 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

2. I want to go to Kettering, get some sort of engineering degree then work for one fo teh Big three except gm or ford.
AHHH... I went to KU... just finished with my ME degree with an emphasis on Powertrain... AHHH!!! RUN!!! STAY AWAY FROM FLINT!!! AHHH!!!!

1) Mech. Eng. (Detail/Design/etc.) for a Machine tool company
2) Something more automotive... work for big 3 (in a cool job) or at Honda R&D, or something more related to powertrains
3) I do it... enjoy??? they call it work for a reason... haha
4) Education, hard work, and the good Lord above...
5) Advice: Save more, spend less... cut out things you don't need (and yes, there are things... cell phones, eating out, etc. I am just as guilty here, so I am pointing this finger at myself)

Old 11-18-2004, 04:06 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

1. Manufacturing Engineer, did what Crazy Squee did before this
2. Robotic Enginner would be my ultimate job
3. It is ok, pays the bills and looks good on the resume.
4. a year in a half
5. I too went to ITT, and got my degree in Automated Manufacturing. I worked most of my career as an Engineering Tech and finally landed this job as an Engineer.
6. I am working paycheck to paycheck because I was stupid when I was younger with credit cards, My advice, don't use them. Have just 1 for emergencies. If you want something, take out so much from your check that you can afford not seeing and when you have enough, then get it. If you have the many cards and are trying to get them down, concentrate on 1 by paying more than minimum, get it payed off, then the next you start concentrating on, the money you were paying on the previous card, ad that to you minimum of the card you are working on because you are already use to that payment. If all else fails use a non profit credit card counseling like I am doing.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:46 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

1. Cop
2. Already did it (U.S. Air Force for 21 years)
3. Yes, except for the weirdo's I come across from time to time.
4. Followed orders, kept my nose clean (most of the time!), took my job(s) seriously.
5. I still live from paycheck to paycheck, but I have $$ put away each payday that I never see, so I don't miss it.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: