flat tvs, what does it all mean? - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

flat tvs, what does it all mean?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

flat tvs, what does it all mean?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:33 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default flat tvs, what does it all mean?

ok, im rather ignorant about all of it. looking at LCD tvs, but what the heck? whats a good resolution and such. i know a 42" that is far more expensive than a cheap 50" must be better picture. but how do you know what 'good' is?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Night_Runner
Champion
Default RE: flat tvs, what does it all mean?

this should help you...its far worth it to take the time and read the whole thing, it is VERY informative. if you dont want to read the whole thing, scroll down to "stage three" to read about the dif between dlp's, lcd's, and plasmas

http://www.seatstaysup.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10473

Old 12-19-2007, 11:59 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

typically the "best" TVs out right now offer 1080p. the next step down is 1080i, then 720i.

there are companies that make the different types, and they are just as clear as the next type, but the biggest price-increasing item is the thickness. the paperthin TVs are all the rage, and you pay out the **** for them...my mitsu 56" is DLP, and although its about 18" deep, i love it...and i feel that it is as nice as some of the thin TVs that cost 4 times as much.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Billiam
Champion

A lot of people go with brand, not really caring for price. I was that way, I actually wanted to get a Sony, but their prices were too high for the size of tv I wanted. So I waited and found my 42" Toshiba DLP tv, for 800$ For the most part, again, it comes down to personal opinion. I forgot to mention, my DLP is like 14" deep, not very big at all.

I didnt want a plasma to burn the image in to the screen...they still do it. Suposedly they got fix on that probalem.A friend of mine plays guitar hero a bit too much and it already burned in to the screen after 3 months. I didnt want that, I watch a lot of ESPN and play games too, I didnt want to have anything burn in to the screen. Its was a Samsung tv.

I also didnt want LCD, I didnt want the crystal pixels to burn out either, my aunt and uncle have a LCD and after 3 years, pixels started to burn up. It looks like water is on the tv at all times, it sucks. This was a Panasonic.

I'm not going around saying all plasmas and LCD's suck, I just dont trust em. So I went with my DLP. Oh and another thing that sold me on DLP, is you can get them fixed. Plasma and lcd you might aswell buy a new tv. The amount of money to fix the problem, for a few bucks more you can buy a newer tv.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:37 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

with a DLP, the "lights" inside burn out...they are very expensive to replace (i understand around 500 dollars), but in our case, we bought a warranty whch specifically mentions bulb replacement. i believe that the bulb life is supposed to be something like 18,000 hours.

18,000 hours would be watching the tv 8 hours a day, every day, for 6.1 years.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Billiam
Champion

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

with a DLP, the "lights" inside burn out...they are very expensive to replace (i understand around 500 dollars), but in our case, we bought a warranty whch specifically mentions bulb replacement. i believe that the bulb life is supposed to be something like 18,000 hours.

18,000 hours would be watching the tv 8 hours a day, every day, for 6.1 years.
Yea, I got the warrenty when I bought mine too.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:47 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

the store where we bought it...the salemen get commissions on things like warranty sales, so he knocked a TON of the price of the TV so that we would buy the warranty

Old 12-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Billiam
Champion

Thats cool, I think Sears is the same way. Thats where I got mine at. Eventhough around here our Sears employees are major idiots, they really dont want to help out people if they're not going to buy. My dad and I were in there the other day, he was going to buy a air compressor, well the one he found he bought, but he also asked if he could get someone to help carry it out to the truck. The salesman said yea sure. So we waited for about 10min, my dad, being the dad that he is, got pissed...made ME grab it and pack it out there myself. And what was even funnier, he found a better one at Home Depot, so we took it back, set it outside the door and made them come and get it. Then after he got his money back, we went to Home Depot and got the bigger better one for cheaper.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:30 PM
hokiefan104
Record Breaker

here's the short of it (others feel free to correct me if i made any mistakes)

the number designates the number of vertical lines in the resolution. so a tv that is 720p or 720i has 720 lines. at this point in time 1080 is the best you can by.

the letter tells how the pictures will be displayed. the letter p stands for progressive scan. a tv that uses progressive scan draws out each frame in sequence. the letter i stands for interlaced. a tv that uses interlacing alternates between drawing odd and even lines of each frame. progessive scan is the better of the two.

so it goes something like this

1080p is better than 1080i is better than 720p is better than 720i.

__________________________________________________ __

Plasma tv's tend to have the best picture quality but tend to be more expensive. You also have to worry about the plasma burning out or burning images into the screen.

Projection tvs tend to be little cheaper then LCDs. You can get a much larger projection tv for the same price as a smaller LCD. A downside with projection tvs is they are a little bulky (compared to flat pannels) and the bulb is expensive to replace.

LCD's have good picture quality and don't take up a lot of room. It's your middle of the road tv. picture isn't as good as the plasma and have to pay a little more to get the same size as you could if you got a projection tv.

i recently bought an LG 47" 1080p and i am happy with it. a big thing to consider is regular tv channels won't look any better, in fact depending on the tv and your cable/satelite service they may work worse. i highly suggest having HD programming to fully enjoy your purchase.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:41 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

what type is that LG, hokie?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: flat tvs, what does it all mean?

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: