Snap On vs. Craftsman Torque Wrench - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Snap On vs. Craftsman Torque Wrench

Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Snap On vs. Craftsman Torque Wrench

Old 06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Default Snap On vs. Craftsman Torque Wrench

I'm in the market for a new torque wrench. Anyway the price of the Craftsman ones are pretty nice and it's not something I will use everyday just something for use working on the cars and stuff. I'm right now looking at the Snap On QD3R250 which is a 50-250ft lbs torque wrench. I haven't look at Craftsman ones really so don't know what model to consider. I've just heard that Craftsman don't seem to last long past the 1 year warranty and that they aren't ever really super accurate. This has me concerned. While I don't know that it being off a little would hurt too much for what I use it for right now it may in the future and I'd like it to be as accurate as possible. I also want it to last so that hopefully I will never have to buy another torque wrench unless it's for a different ft lbs range. I don't mind spending the extra for the Snap On if it's worth it which from what I've read so far it seems like it is. Which would you guys go with? I am waiting for the Snap On man to call me back and let me know if he has one instock. Snap Ons site doesn't have any instock.I eventually want to get a 3/8" torque wrench thats more like 5-50ft lbs but I don't think I'm going to get it yet. Thats the one I want to be accurate more than this one but I want both to be close. It seems the more critical bolts are usually the smaller ones. I originally thought I'd get a Snap On 3/8" and a Craftsman 1/2" one since I would use this one for tightening lug nuts and stuff like that mostly but now I'm thinking I might should get both from Snap On. What do you guys think? Worth the extra? Here is the link to the one I'm waiting for a price on and to see if he has it on the truck.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog...talog
I used a buddys that I think was this model for a month or two and liked it. His agreement was to buy it back shortly after for $50 more when he had the money. So I made $50 off of it and got to use 2 of his torque wrenchs for a few months. I Then just used my cheap old style craftsman after that a little but now want something better.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: Snap On vs. Craftsman Torque Wrench

Hands down, snap on is the best when it comes to tools. However, for backyard mechanics like you and me, Craftsman is a great, relatively inexpensive alternative. I would just go with a decent craftsman, however, I am not sure if they carry the lifetime warranty, for some reason im thinking their torque wrenches only have a 1 or 2 year warranty. If the cost isnt too big between the two, go with the snap on, but I dont see you having any regrets about going with a craftsman.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:31 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

ORIGINAL: Jr. Mechanic

Hands down, snap on is the best when it comes to tools. However, for backyard mechanics like you and me, Craftsman is a great, relatively inexpensive alternative. I would just go with a decent craftsman, however, I am not sure if they carry the lifetime warranty, for some reason im thinking their torque wrenches only have a 1 or 2 year warranty. If the cost isnt too big between the two, go with the snap on, but I dont see you having any regrets about going with a craftsman.
I put lifetime warranty in the post but meant to say 1 year warranty as the Torque Wrenches don't have a lifetime warranty. I agree with you on the Craftsman stuff and I think in most cases thats true. I'd say a good 90% probably of my tools are Craftsman. Maybe not quite that many. I have a few from other brands like Kobalt, Matco, Snap On, and so on but most mine are Craftsman. However I just don't hear the best things about thier torque wrenches and I want a quality one. I worked in a shop a year and a half or so back but now am just mostly a backyard mechanic I just want something that is accurate and a quality tool.

The Snap On is about $270 and the Craftsman ones seem to be about $80 or so. I however am really leaning towards the Snap On in this case. I'm thinking Snap On may be worth the extra when it comes down to stuff like this that needs to be precise.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:50 PM
RamItOne

craftsman have lifetime warranty right, what about snap on.

If youre working on cars you dont want 50-250 range, a 0-50 would be used far more frequently. Best would be 0-100. But if youre having to torque something at 200# and you go over you dont really risk stripping it. Whereas the 25# oil nut could easily be stripped.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

I'm not going to argue the fact that Snap-On torque wrenches are probably made better than Craftsman, and for that matter, may provide a more accurate reading for longer.
The most important things with torque wrenches are to not drop them or mistreat them (handle them hard). Whenever your done with them, turn them back to their lowest torque setting. Also store them away from your normal tools (such as a case, this prevents 'accidental' mishandling or it being banged against other tools)
Also, all calibrated deivices loose their calibration eventually. It's never a bad idea to send the torque wrench away to have it calibrated every so often.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 PM
spencea15
Record Breaker

RamItOne the torque wrenchs have a 1 year warenty.

The truth is the snap-on is calerbrated to a higher standard then the craftsman torque wrench. Unless you are plaining on using it every weekend i would go with the craftsman. The majority of torque wrenches that are brocken are due to missuse and/or droping. I have only seen a hand full of the craftsman that were broken because of defect/quality(I worked at sears when the warenty change over was going on). As long as you store it properly(set it back to zero) and use to properly you should not have a problem with the craftsman.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I agree a 0-50 or 0-100 would be used more often but I want this bigger one for wheels and stuff mostly although I hope to eventually get both.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Gageguy
Rookie

I work with the maintenance of torque wrenches on a daily basis. Sturtevant-Richmont are the best I've seen. Snap-on is second then Craftsman is last. If you buy a Craftsman only buy the click type, where you set the torque you want and it "breaks over" at that setting. I would not buy a Craftsman tracking/sweep style, where you watch the setting until it's at the torque level you want,ever. They simply do not last. Snap-on, click typework real well and are real durable even if accidentially dropped. The tracking/sweep type are very accurate but are less durable. Sturtevant-Richmont, I've seen people use them as breaker bars ( because they don't know any better) and don't lose their accuracy. They are extremely durable and are what we use for every day multiple use on the shop floor.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:52 PM
RamItOne

spec on dodge 5-5.5 wheels (which is what you have) is 135#/ft, Ill push it to 150, but rarely do I need a torque wrench. Just put some ***** into it and youre good. I would like a torque wrench for my diffs as you dont get good leverage on some of the screws and hard to guess how much force youre applying.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:13 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

Or transmission pan bolts. I thought I could get one of the bolts a little tighter, and ended up stripping the threads on my brand new transmission. [:@]Nothing a longer but thinner bolt and a nut couldn't fix, but its just the fact my dumbass broke it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snap On vs. Craftsman Torque Wrench

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: