Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Fighting a bill?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Fighting a bill?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:41 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Default Fighting a bill?

So, a month ago I got a letter in the mail from a Pest Control company saying to call and set-up my yearly termite inspection. This would have been the first one since I moved into the house.

Anyways, since I don't care, I never called.
So, two days ago, I get a invoice in the mail. And today, I get a bill.
$139. I never called them for this service. Aside from the letter from one month ago, no other contact was made from them to me concerning this. They didn't even leave a note at my house saying, "We did this inspection, a bill will be arriving shortly."

What would be the "proper" way to go about this, because the way I want to, probably wouldn't solve anything (calling them up, and saying "Shove this $139 bill up your ***.")

Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Politely tell them that you never gave them permission to step foot on your property, and tell them that if they want to pursue the issue, that you can easily sue them for trespassing.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:18 AM
04 neon
Rookie

^^^+1 A company can't just up and charge you for this stuff without discussion. BTW in the future when you get a call like this resond with 'No, i don't want your services, and I refuse this offer' so it's clearly understood you'll save a few headaches

Old 06-06-2009, 07:18 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

start by calling and tell them they've made some kind of mistake and that you did not order their services. tell them you did not respond to their offer letter. make a note of the date, who you spoke with, and what their response was.

if they don't cancel their billing, then write them a formal letter explaining that the charges are disputed and that you didn't order the service, and that you've already explained that by phone to so-and-so on such-and-such date. keep a copy.

if you ever get a letter from a collections agency, send them a copy of your letters disputing the charges. they will not/cannot pursue disputed charges.

sooner or later, the pest control will drop it.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

What company is doing this illegal activity? Did you sign for anything?
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...-wi-carrepairs
This is what wisconsin has to say about stuff like that happening to car owners...

~Nate

Old 06-06-2009, 08:34 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Being a service company they can not bill for any work that doesn't have a signature on file or have a work order signed at time of service.

Like mentioned above, just call the company and tell them that they have made a mistake that either they billed the wrong person, or they provided a service that was not ordered by anyone in the household.

If they begin to badger you, just ask to see a service contract WITH your name that says they can do the work without notification. If they will not stop just hang up. If they pursue the matter themselves with phone calls and letters, you can just call the local PD for harassment.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:20 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

I wouldnt give them a dime..

Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator

yep, just ask them for a copy of any invoice or work order with your signature on it, when they can't produce it, tell them to stick it up there a$$ or sue you for it...

Old 06-07-2009, 07:04 AM
whitealexander
Professional

pick up evidence.. the letter that was a month ago... then the bill.. if they have leave a message on the phone save it.. and then go to court and file a trespassing case.. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fighting a bill?

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: