Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

I need some persuasion Points

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

I need some persuasion Points

Old 06-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Default I need some persuasion Points

Okay, I am in the process of trying to persuade my stepfather into buying a 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually.
He has always been a GM person, but in 2005, he bought a 2004 F-350 6.0 Powerstroke. Due to some personal reasons, he is selling the 04 and is going to buy new.

I almost had him convinced that the Ram was the only way to go, but yesterday he saw a 2009 Ford super duty Kingranch. He is really leaning towards this truck.....

Here is his reasoning for not buying Dodge.
1. With Plants being down right now, he can't find a Laramie with bucket seats/ Automatic Transmission/ and right gearing.
2. He refuses to buy a truck that only has a basic 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.
3. The Dodge Transmissions scare him to death.

He is seriously considering the ford for the following reasons
1. Can get a full no limit 100,000 mile powertrain warranty
2. Can get the bucket seating.
3. can get the proven Torque shift transmission

I have nit picked against Ford with the following points
1. Ford has yet to find a proven dual turbo setup ( way too many issues with their current set)
2. The emission control on them are very well known to catch fire during the soot burn cycle.
3. You cannot get a loaded out dually with certain options that he wants with a 4.1:1 gearing. Instead they offer a 3.5 gearing, and lets face it, in a truck like that that is going to hauling massive loads, a 3.5 ratio is not going to cut it.
4. Ford may be in a better condition than GM and Chrysler right now, but their finances are a house of cards. They could very well be in the same pot of chit that the others are in in a very short time.
5. Sadly the dual Turbo 6.4 Diesel is still not making the same amount of power as the 6.7 cummins.
6. The engine bay is cramped beyond belief. It is nigh impossible to do any kind of engine work on these diesels with out either pulling the motor or removing the whole cab of the truck.

I really need some help with this guys. So if you can think of some other legit points that I haven't listed let me know. It is an embarrassment to be seen in a Ford, and I fear the new powerstrokes are complete pieces of ****.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, and Duramax not a consideration, for obvious reasons.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:39 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

start hitting FORD forums hard looking for common issues.

The cummins is a proven diesel with a long track record of 300K+ on an engine.
Not many guys ever griped about the 48RE tranny, it was the 46RE that took the brunt of the tranny complaint issues. I can't speak as to what they are putting in the '09's.
Ask DF member Part/Service if Dodge dealerships ever do an extended warranty promotion and when that typically happens.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:31 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion

"Least Dodge didn't have fireballs coming out of the tail pipe setting things on fire" I know thats been fixed by Ford but still

Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by neoncrazy101 View Post
"Least Dodge didn't have fireballs coming out of the tail pipe setting things on fire" I know thats been fixed by Ford but still
I have to say, if I had one of those I'd have been tempted not to get it fixed

The engine alone should be enough to convince him, Powerjoke vs. Cummins, no competition...

Old 06-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
start hitting FORD forums hard looking for common issues.

The cummins is a proven diesel with a long track record of 300K+ on an engine.
Not many guys ever griped about the 48RE tranny, it was the 46RE that took the brunt of the tranny complaint issues. I can't speak as to what they are putting in the '09's.
Ask DF member Part/Service if Dodge dealerships ever do an extended warranty promotion and when that typically happens.
Well you have good points, but I do know that in the last few years, Dodge has offered a 6 year 60K mile warranty. Every dealer I have talked to has told me that they are doing away with the extended warranty option.
There in case lies another plus side for ford. They offer a program that allows you to wait until the very end of the warranty period and extend it another 6 years 75K miles.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

The new F series trucks are great... Why try and change his mind about something that would prolly be perfect for him.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

^ Because I know him. I know that when he adds a tuner, does the intake, and exhaust, he is going to start blowing **** up with it. The man is an absoulute genious when it comes to a gas motor, but he really lacks in the diesel department.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:29 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

haha I was damn close to posting this exact same topic. My dad is in need of a new 1 ton diesel. He's leaning towards Ford but is willing to consider Dodge. No Dirtymax. 1 is enough for him.

For my argument, I was going with the CTD history and mentioned the PSD problems, past and present. It didn't go over so well since he's been lucky with his 2 current 6.0 PSD's and hasn't encountered any of their countess problems.

OP, did you mention that the 6.4 PSD gets the worst fuel mileage in its class?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris

Let him know that Ford is now using fewer head bolts in their engines, and it has caused a few powerchokes to blow head gaskets or crack heads.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM
sarguy01
Record Breaker

My buddy's dad went through two tranny's in a diesel Excursion and his brother went through one in a F-350. Those were 2004 and 2003 if I remember right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need some persuasion Points

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: