Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Hurricanes / TS's I've been through in my life

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Hurricanes / TS's I've been through in my life

Old 08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of Indiana and my area are under a tornado watch. The only Tornado I remember we had around here was a small F1 in 1999 that came over a hill hit a house, boat, jumped across a road then died going up another hill. There have been plenty of tornades north of Cincinnati around Dayton, though.

Last year, because of the jet stream and Hurricane Ike, we got a major windstorm with winds of 70 MPH. I think the highest wind was 84 MPH.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 08-19-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Billiam
Champion

Looks like its time to move to Seattle and deal with rain only. lol

Old 08-19-2009, 07:36 PM
1996Ram318
All Star

Originally Posted by PurplDodge View Post
Most of Indiana and my area are under a tornado watch. The only Tornado I remember we had around here was a small F1 in 1999 that came over a hill hit a house, boat, jumped across a road then died going up another hill. There have been plenty of tornades north of Cincinnati around Dayton, though.

Last year, because of the jet stream and Hurricane Ike, we got a major windstorm with winds of 70 MPH. I think the highest wind was 84 MPH.
We had winds over 100 MPH for 13 hours. The TS force was for the better part of a day. I think the max gust in my area was around 140 MPH. During Rita, it was measured at 161 MPH.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

^^ See, this is why I stay on the West Coast, all we have to deal with are Earthquakes every so many years. No big deal, just gotta grab your coffee cup before it spills.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:02 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Damn NWS just cut off my Lynyrd Skynyrd because of hail and strong winds!

We had winds over 100 MPH for 13 hours. The TS force was for the better part of a day. I think the max gust in my area was around 140 MPH. During Rita, it was measured at 161 MPH.
Well, you guys got the hurricane! We got the aftermath!
Here is a report of it from the NWS:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/iln/sept14_2008/sept14wind.html

Last edited by PurplDodge; 08-19-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:27 AM
thebean
Professional

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen View Post
^^ See, this is why I stay on the West Coast, all we have to deal with are Earthquakes every so many years. No big deal, just gotta grab your coffee cup before it spills.
Dude, don't forget about the fires.

I had one "mandatory" evac from a fire that made its way to my neighborhood, got within maybe 100 feet of our house... it was amazing watching the firefighters defending one of the neighbor's houses as flames two stories high reached their property line. The fire started 6 miles from us, caused by a red-tailed hawk hitting a power line. Felt sorry for the bird; at least my family is still alive!

My wife was nearly killed in a house fire when she was a kid, so naturally we had to move somewhere else that wasn't new construction on the edge of flammable wilderness. So we ended up in a more mature neighborhood, away from the foothills and in a valley that's pretty green by SoCal standards. The crispy grass and brush of the wilderness was at least a half mile away. Unfortunately that wasn't far enough.... not more than a year after we settled in, I woke up one morning to see neighbors from up the road hauling and walking their horses down the street, there was a fire just about to crest the hill into our valley. By mid-morning, the TV stations declared the fire "100% contained" so I went to work. Not more than an hour after I finally got to the office, my wife calls and says that the Super Scoopers and Sikorskys are buzzing past our house and the sheriff is knocking on doors telling everyone to get ready to evac. So I get back in the car and fight traffic. Of course, by the time I got home the fire was officially knocked down.

It's been a few years since, expecting another one anytime now...

Old 08-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by L and R Two View Post
My list would start at the 1997 year. The only ones that I remember though are the ones that actually caused problems for me.

Hurricane Irene, just flooded the area down here real bad with a direct hit. I ended up sinking a company car in 6 feet of water because I thought the road was there and it wasn't. Ended up being a sunken median and I drove right into it.. LOL...

Hurricane Katrina came through on a direct hit, but did not do that much damage at the time. Katrina just weakened everything up 2 weeks later, Hurricane Wilma hit us direct and that is where the damage came into play.

Tropical storms, we are getting hit with all the time, they don't do nothing but rain alot.
Probably had about 6 cause problems. Left the city for two... For the rest, I usually sat outside and enjoyed mother nature.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:59 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
For the rest, I usually sat outside and enjoyed mother nature.
Heck yeah!!! When Katrina hit, I was outside with the kids trying to play football in the streets. Not one pass completed... LOL!!!!!

Wilma was another story. I spent most of the day/night running out side and grabbing debris that would have hit my cars. I was playing the protector on that one. The winds were real bad.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

I always make sure I have a safe place for my vehicle.

I remember sitting outside in Tallahassee for a Cat 3. That was thrilling. I even stood out in the street and looked up in the sky.

Last edited by Midnight SRT; 08-20-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by thebean View Post
Dude, don't forget about the fires.

I had one "mandatory" evac from a fire that made its way to my neighborhood, got within maybe 100 feet of our house... it was amazing watching the firefighters defending one of the neighbor's houses as flames two stories high reached their property line. The fire started 6 miles from us, caused by a red-tailed hawk hitting a power line. Felt sorry for the bird; at least my family is still alive!

My wife was nearly killed in a house fire when she was a kid, so naturally we had to move somewhere else that wasn't new construction on the edge of flammable wilderness. So we ended up in a more mature neighborhood, away from the foothills and in a valley that's pretty green by SoCal standards. The crispy grass and brush of the wilderness was at least a half mile away. Unfortunately that wasn't far enough.... not more than a year after we settled in, I woke up one morning to see neighbors from up the road hauling and walking their horses down the street, there was a fire just about to crest the hill into our valley. By mid-morning, the TV stations declared the fire "100% contained" so I went to work. Not more than an hour after I finally got to the office, my wife calls and says that the Super Scoopers and Sikorskys are buzzing past our house and the sheriff is knocking on doors telling everyone to get ready to evac. So I get back in the car and fight traffic. Of course, by the time I got home the fire was officially knocked down.

It's been a few years since, expecting another one anytime now...
Yea man, I know what you're talking about. Every years these constant fires are really ticking me off. I have lived here my entire life and fires were really not an issue. I think an occasional fire like what you said about a bird hitting a power line is normal, but we are having way too many fires and they are getting way too predictable. I think all the wackos that live here now are getting their jollies starting fires every year. LA may seem like a normal place, but there are way too many weirdos living among us, soon to be increased by thousands since Ahole Arnold is now going to release some 30,000 prisoners from state prisons. Lock up your doors and get your guns ready (I know I am). No one that enters my house uninvited will be leaving in one piece.

Originally Posted by L and R Two View Post
Wilma was another story. I spent most of the day/night running out side and grabbing debris that would have hit my cars. I was playing the protector on that one. The winds were real bad.
I have seen lots of video of roofs being ripped off in hurricanes, but I have always wondered if tile roofs would hold up to these winds or if they would get ripped apart also?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hurricanes / TS's I've been through in my life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: