Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Hurricanes / TS's I've been through in my life

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Hurricanes / TS's I've been through in my life

Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn guys, I don't have fires to deal with or hurricanes (except for the extreme rain leftovers), but what I do have is tornadoes. We live right in tornado alley. We get at least two a year, and a few years back, we had two of them follow the exact same path, only 1 year apart. That little incident made a lot of people move.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:14 PM
deranged
Record Breaker

If there's some good to be said about hurricanes it's that you get warned days in advance that it's coming. Tornadoes on the other hand can form in a matter of minutes so you just never know. There were at least 2 tornadoes that started about 50 miles southwest of us yesterday afternoon taking out parts of 2 small towns (3 injured, 2 motorcyclists blown off their bikes and a church wall collapsed on a person inside). One of them began skipping and setting back down several times near 3 other towns before petering out. Bad thing is they were southwest of us and these systems normally travel northeast so we were on our toes when the tornado siren sounded here.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

^ Yea, I know what you are saying there. The several that have been through here in the last few years; we just sit on the front porch with a case of beer and watch as they go by. Knock on wood though, (pause) our place has never had damage from one yet.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:21 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen View Post

I have seen lots of video of roofs being ripped off in hurricanes, but I have always wondered if tile roofs would hold up to these winds or if they would get ripped apart also?
It is not whether it is barrel or shingle that helps keep a roof on. It is how the roof was built that take its away.

After Hurricane Andrew, new building guidelines went into effect. Houses needed to have the trusses closer and there needs to be more cross members for support. Needless to say, any house built post after 1996 doesn't have a very usable attic. Also, the roofs have to have smaller over hangs so the wind can not build up underneath it and lift it off. Most the roofs that you see getting pulled off are from lack of maintenance or poor construction or a roof that was already damaged because a tree fell through it.

There are shingles that are rated up to 150 mph winds, barrel tiles that are rated up to 200 mph winds, and a few years ago, flat aluminum roofing that makes your roof look like a huge steel satellite that is rated upto 250 mph. Now keep in mind that on each of those, I said UP TO. You have to pay to get the good stuff and when the insurance companies go to pay, or the person just doesn't have the money, they go with the minimum rating that will be allowed by the state (unless they are fixing it themselves and buy whatever)

Old 08-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by deranged View Post
If there's some good to be said about hurricanes it's that you get warned days in advance that it's coming. Tornadoes on the other hand can form in a matter of minutes so you just never know. There were at least 2 tornadoes that started about 50 miles southwest of us yesterday afternoon taking out parts of 2 small towns (3 injured, 2 motorcyclists blown off their bikes and a church wall collapsed on a person inside). One of them began skipping and setting back down several times near 3 other towns before petering out. Bad thing is they were southwest of us and these systems normally travel northeast so we were on our toes when the tornado siren sounded here.
Hurricanes create many tornadoes... while over water and when they hit land.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:35 AM
deranged
Record Breaker

Yep, true that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hurricanes / TS's I've been through in my life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: