Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Any engineers out there?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Any engineers out there?

Old 10-17-2009, 01:39 AM
zje400ex
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any engineers out there?

I was just wondering how many engineers are out there on dodgeforum. Right now i'm in my second year of civil engineering at ohio state and hoping to get an internship this summer

Old 10-17-2009, 01:42 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Civil

Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 AM
zje400ex
Captain

What kind of things do you do? Right now i'm in my second year taking the core classes...mechanical engineering (statics), calculas 254, physics 132, and a general eduacation class. I'm looking forward to spring quarter when i start my civil engineering classes. I'm not sure which kind of civil i'm going to do yet. I guess i will figure that out later

Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now I working for a company that Designs, Analyzes and Inspects large scale bridges. My office deals with mostly the NE US. I am currently in the inspection aspect of the company, where I go out and preform a field inspection and then report about it.

My job title:

Field Services Engineer

Description: Position involves field inspections and preparation of inspection reports with recommendations for maintenance and repair for all types and sizes of highway and railroad bridges, including fixed bridges, such as suspension and cable-stayed bridges, trusses, girder and beam bridges, and movable bridges. The Field Services Section also provides personnel for monitoring of new bridge construction or rehabilitation and special investigation projects. Position require some travel, especially during the Spring through Fall months. Field services are provided to clients throughout the United States and Canada; however, the Mechanicsburg office primarily serves the northeast region of the Country.

Requirements: BSCE and a willingness to utilize specialized equipment and techniques typically employed by rock and mountain climbers. Training is provided as needed for the job duties.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:20 AM
zje400ex
Captain

Sounds like fun. I have a potenial job at the ohio department of transportation in columbus this summer. I should hopefully gain some knowledge and figure out which branch of civil i'd like to do.

Where did you graduate college?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:26 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im in school for mechanical engineering, year 2 of 4,

Old 10-17-2009, 10:40 AM
zje400ex
Captain

How do you like it so far?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

there are quiet are few on here, some in school over in the 3rd gen section. i was in school to be a civil but i got hooked up with the oil field and money talks. i guess now that the boom is gone i should look back into school. maybe lean toward oil development, those guys get paid ridiculous amounts of money. i was pulling 90k a year being a low level grunt only working six months out of the year. the company man or consultant was making aroun 300k for the same amount of time. but it is a very touchy job field

Old 10-17-2009, 02:17 PM
zje400ex
Captain

Yeah. I've heard of the chemical and petroleum engineerings making some serious money. I believe the average starting salary for an Ohio State graduate with a bsce is around 45-48K. That was the average last year so i'm sure it has gone down some. Still that won't be bad to start off.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:24 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zje400ex View Post
How do you like it so far?
so far im loving it, fortunately my school takes a hands-on approach to learning, we have a 3 hours "lab" class every week which is linked to what we learn in class, so we get to start applying what we learn in the classroom to something tangible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any engineers out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: