Modern Warfare 2 screws over PC gamers - Page 3 - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Modern Warfare 2 screws over PC gamers

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Modern Warfare 2 screws over PC gamers

Old 10-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Nofrag
Champion

I know there are more consoles in homes than there are gaming rigs, consoles are simpler and cheaper. But some games are begining to add up to the cost of the consoles themselves. I don't care about expansion packs down the road, It keeps you from buying a sequel. What troubles me is being sold half of a game, just barely enough content to make it work, at full price, and then being forced to buy more later or my game is a coaster.

One fine example of that is a game like Warhawk. Great game, online only, which I didn't mind. The problems started coming when they decided to release DLC 3 times in a year that add up to what I paid for the game in the first place, and the nature of the DLC is that you can't play with people that are using it, if you didn't buy it.

I bought battlefield 2 about 5 years ago, there have been 3 expansion packs. 2 have been map packs, and one was a map/equipment pack. I could still play with people who had the new gear, and in the most recent patch they give you the two map packs for free.

Another thing I don't like about consoles is exclusivity bull**** and publishers choosing to sidle up to a specific console because the boss used to work for that company. When a PC game comes out, I can play it, forgive me if I'm wrong but that's important to me.

But chase I want to go back to the contradiction thing for a second. It's just that you used sales as an accurate guage of popularity, but at the same time you said most pc games are pirated. That looked like a contradiction. This post has gotten too long, sorry if it seems like a rant. I'm just saying I have a somewhat dusty "next gen" console. BTW a 22" lcd looks pretty big when it's 18" from your face.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

and my 55" HDTV looks big playing PS3, 360, or Wii from anywhere in the living room. i have a 22" lcd monitor..its brand new, and its very nice, but I would much rather play games on the big screen.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by BadStratRT View Post
yet no one addresses my points about the number of households with gaming consoles compared to computers used for gaming.
Console makers are willing to sell their consoles at a loss or for minimal profits just to get the units into people's houses to jack up their playerbase numbers. In some ways they are easier on the developer since it's a standardized piece of hardware, the dev doesn't need to worry about making sure it runs on different cpus video cards, etc. However, PC's have their own advantages. Up until now PC games were often modded by the gaming community and maps were created by players as well. This adds a lot of value and variety to the game and most developers realized this.

Some popular games like World of Warcraft actually have an interface for people to develop in-game addons and some of the ideas first seen in those addons have been incorporated into the game's interface over time. Some people like Bobby Kotick can't see the benefits for both parties in these kinds of situations. One major disadvantage of consoles is that it's impossible for the mod community to offer up anything for games on those systems, instead game studios and the console makers try to squeeze every last nickel and dime possible out of you. Microsoft gouges horrifically on it's accessories (the hard drive prices are an absolute joke), I can't speak to Sony as I have very little experience there.

Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Funny that most of the games you buy are probably the same games we buy from the SAME stores; and I bet you couldn't tell the difference between a PS3/XBOX screen shot and a PC screen shot. Not to mention that a 50 inch Sony Bravia LCD HDTV looks way better than a little computer monitor.

Have fun with your hackers.
Chase to be 100% fair while Bluesman certainly comes across as anti-console you come across as rather anti-PC yourself. I can tell the difference between a game on the various systems if the game is capable of taking advantage of all the hardware on a PC. Keep in mind you sit closer to a monitor than you would to a TV, you can still get a very immersive experience with a decent monitor. Another advantage is someone who knows what they are doing is far less likely to experience hardware failure on a PC. You can pick higher quality components and customize the setup to how you want. Gaming overall is great, I own a decent PC, an Xbox 360, and now a PS3 as well, I don't hate consoles but it's maddening to see the studios treat PC gamers as second class.

Without all the advancements in PC gaming over the years the current batch of consoles would not exist. PC gaming has driven hardware development over the years and the technology derived from that is used in the consoles. Consoles alone would not drive the pace anywhere near as rapidly given that the specs are mostly locked across a generation of the unit. I enjoy some games more on console and some more on PC, I think it's a mistake to ignore either.

The console players are getting raked over the coals on accessory and DLC cost, believe me $10 for a few maps IS greedy and overpriced. Before DLC was around PC games had a way to add more content that people paid for, expansion packs. Usually though these expansions would be 1/3 to maybe 1/2 the cost of the original game and add a significant amount of content. Something small like a map or two would be released for free to keep people interested and keep excitement up. I have no problem paying for extra content when I don't feel like I'm being gouged for it.

The piracy argument has no grounds as far as I'm concerned. Most people who want to play the game online will buy it, getting a pirated game to work online for multiplayer can be a huge hassle and limits your server choices. Not to mention consoles have plenty of piracy as well. I can point you to a few tutorials that can have you playing torrented games on xbox live without being banned with an hour or two of work. I haven't done it because I try to support game developers but keep in mind it's something that exists on all systems.

As for cheating, VAC works decently and PunkBuster is extremely effective. Plus dedicated servers on most games means whoever is in control of the server can kick people that somehow sneak by the anti-cheat. A well run server has next to no cheating and often they will kick the people who are just trying to be royal jackasses to everyone else as well, something you don't see on live or I suspect on psn (again I have no personal experience there). People will always find ways to try and cheat on any system, lag switches anyone?

Again, I have no issue with game prices when they are reasonable but DLC in the current market is going overboard.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

I am sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers I din't mean to put anyone or any console down,I am sitting here with a bad case of the flu and honestly a little delirious.

The point I'm trying to make is that I have played both console and PC games for years, I'm an old fart, I've been around since the days of the Atari 2600, Bently and Colecovision. I have owned just about every sytem that has come down the pike and after all these years I have come to realize online gaming is best done on a PC and the games seem to have a much longer shelf life. You just get alot more bang for your buck on a PC.

Look at it like this if you grew up on an island and all the women on that island looked like Ugly Betty you wouldn't know any other women existed and you would be perfectly happy bangin' Ugly Betty! Then one day you are rescued from your desert island and brought to America Where we have Super models and Pop tarts like Megan Fox(PC Gaming) Then you would never want to bang Ugly Betty again!(console Games)

Old 10-23-2009, 11:07 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

but i dont see how you get more bang for your buck with a PC?

id like one of the PC guys to post a link of the CHEAPEST PC that i could get, that would play every major newer game without any modifications or upgrades. say that i was going out to get into PC gaming, and i wanted a box that could pretty much play everything for me...lets see a link. dont argue with me, just give me a link here...keep in mind, i dont want a link to a place that sells parts to build one, i want a link to a box that i could plug in, and it would play say, MW2.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Billiam
Champion

Great point there Pat. I highly doubt there will be one cheaper then a console.... Unless you some how find someone that is sell their old one to you, even then it might be more the a console of some sort.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

They aren't initially cheaper than a console but by the time you buy all the peripherals and DLC your gonna be right there on par with a PC and a PC can do so much more than a console! Look here..... http://www.ibuypower.com/ there's a pretty good one for $419,and whenever it gets outdated add some cheap RAM or a new video card and you are back in buisness for a fraction of what the latest greatest console costs. Here's where I bought mine.... http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ They have one for $399

Last edited by Bluesmanjesse; 10-23-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Billiam
Champion

Last time I check, computers are out dates within 2 years or so. The console wont be out of date till they bring out the next gen console. So still, even if you could upgrade it time to time, its still going to be even more then the normal console.

Now, also most people already have a TV, those $399 puters, still need a monitor. Which its going to be at least another $150 prob, depending on which one you get. So there goes another $550... comparied to a $299 Console. Which you dont have to get DLC..

Old 10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

So buy a $300 console a $200 Rockband/Guitar hero,a $40 extra controller,and you already have spent close to the same money,plus you are typing on a computer right now! I'm sure it wasn't free! If you are gonna have a computer anyways why not spend an extra $200 or so and get yourself a gaming rig that can still do all the other tasks your computer is doing now and you are actually ahead on money! You don't have to get DLC on a computer either and many times the extra content is free on a computer!

I know my wife has more money wrapped up in our Wii than I do in my computer, $300 for the Wii+ $60DDR =3 guitar hero games at $100each + $200 Rock Band,4 controller with charging docks,etc,etc,etc......

I have one computer game that I have played for over 2000 hours, it cost me $49 new,I'll bet you have never gotten that kind of longevity out of a console game.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Billiam
Champion

Originally Posted by Bluesmanjesse View Post
I have one computer game that I have played for over 2000 hours, it cost me $49 new,I'll bet you have never gotten that kind of longevity out of a console game.
Wrong. I still have my regular Nintendo, N64, Playstation. Still works like a charm.

Not all console gamers buy those games. If they do, Im sure they find deals like I did. I got, GH2, GH3, and GH Areosmith with 2 Guitars for 100$. Besides that, its not 200$. lol All you did was use the most expensive game out there to try to prove that Consoles are expensive like PC's. Plus, think about what comes with Rock Band Or GH. Game, Controller, Mic, Drums.. its a whole lot of stuff for that price... and more then one person can play on it at a time.

When it comes down to it, its all preference. And 9 times out of 10, Consoles normally win.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modern Warfare 2 screws over PC gamers

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: