Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Modern Warfare 2 screws over PC gamers

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Modern Warfare 2 screws over PC gamers

Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Modern Warfare 2 screws over PC gamers

It was announced in an interview that Modern Warfare 2 will have no support for dedicated servers. Instead, all multiplayer will be through what they are calling IWNet and use matchmaking. This is absolute bull as far as I'm concerned.

More information and a link to the interview: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/18/mo...cated-servers/

Those unfamiliar with PC gaming may be wondering what the big deal is. With every PC shooter i can think of that has online multiplayer capability people have the ability to host dedicated servers and run a game. This allows for things like clan servers, servers with certain rules if you want something different, and servers for mods of the game for a completely new experience. Modding is pretty big with shooters on the PC, in fact CounterStrike started out as a Half Life mod. There are also community-created maps, textures, etc...

Ideally I would like to see a way for the consoles to take advantage of this as well in the future, especially modding and community-created content. A well-made mod can give a second life to a game you've grown bored of. This is moving in the exact opposite direction, they are crippling something the PC has always had and limiting it to what is available on the consoles. I can only think of greed as a reason. Without the ability for users to make maps, mods, etc they will have greater pull to try and get PC gamers to pay for DLC.

Now I was planning on picking it up for 360 but them acting like this plus Borderlands coming out soon and I'll hold off for awhile at least if I get it at all.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

PC gaming is getting less and less and less important. I love it!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:32 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

pc gaming is the most popular by far.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

Most incorrect statement of the day! Sorry dude!

There's only 5 PC games on the top 50 games sold list of all time! The highest one is the original Sims at #18.

You won't ever find a PC game in the top 10 weekly sales. This week is 4 XBOX 360 games, 3 Wii, 2 DS, 1 PS3.

In 2008, PC games only made $701.4 million, while "the industry set a new record of $21 billion in sales of video game hardware, software and peripherals."

Last edited by Midnight SRT; 10-21-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 AM
de8212
Professional

This does suck. Even if you PC sales aren't as much as xbox/ps3/wii sales, that's not the point. The dedicated servers make the games way more enjoyable.

For example, I don't have a console (well, I have a wii but I don't use it too much) and a coworker I know has a 360. We both play COD:[email protected] and there have been tons of map/mods for it on the PC since one of the patches was released. We'd be at work talking and I would mention all the maps/mods and he had no idea. He would always play on the same few original maps. Eventually he got bored and quit.

I was going to pre-order MW2 but now I am not so sure.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

my bad i meant most common. almost everyone has a pc at work or home and they have games loaded on the and you can download all kinds of games for free. also pc games are almost alway cheaper to buy. with thousands being under 10.00 on any given day. just think all the games from the older systems NES.Snes, etc you can down load emulators and play for free. i know you can do this on consols too im just saying that more people game on pc than is recognized. no they dont cost as much and aren't as popular all the time but they are more common

Old 10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

de8212 - I was just being mean to PC gamers as they have been cocky with console owners in the past. I know that has to suck for you guys.

Last edited by Midnight SRT; 10-21-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

We own a Wii and a playstation,and I have a Gaming PC, I play Battlefield 2/2142,& Cod WoW, I log about 90% of my gaming time on the PC, Once you've played games online on a good PC you will never want to see a console again! The battlefield franchise has been catering to consoles lately too and it pisses me off to no end! PC Gamers made the Battlefield franchise what it is and DICE is letting EA ***** them out to consoles now,it is just a disgrace and a slap in the face to all thier loyal PC customers!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

It won't just be PC feeling the hurt down the road if Activision's CEO gets his way. Bobby Kotick is on a mission to rip as much money out of our pockets as he can, starting with this move that seems designed to force PC gamers to pay for extra content since they will not be able to get any from the community. Not to mention raising MW2 to the $60 dollar price point for PC (traditionally $50 for PC games). For those who haven't heard of his now infamous investor conference call check this out: http://www.geeks.co.uk/7282-activisi...heap-games-you The actual conversation can be listened to here: http://investor.activision.com/events.cfm

Some of the highlights from the article:

Kotick:
“In the last cycle of videogames you spent $50 on a game, played it and took it back to the shop for credit. Today, we’ll (charge) $100 for a guitar. You might add a microphone or drums; you might buy two or three expansions packs, different types of music. Over the life of your ownership you’ll probably buy around 25 additional song packs in digital downloads. So, what used to be a $50 sale is a $500 sale today.”
Activision, Kotick said, has no interest in games that “don’t have the potential to be exploited every year on every platform with clear sequel potential and have the potential to become $100 million franchises.”
Talking about upcoming and expensive Activision titles such as Modern Warfare 2, Kotick said: “if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further.”
Maybe the choice quotes of the event, though, came when Kotick talked about Activision’s developers; you know, the guys who actually make the stuff he gets so rich from. You’d think he’d have a bit of respect for them, right? Oh no, Kotick’s goal over the past 10 years has been – you couldn’t make this up – “to take all the fun out of making video games.” How? By instilling a culture of “scepticism, pessimism, and fear” amongst the company’s staff based around the economic depression and an incentive program that rewards “profit and nothing else”.

Even worse, Blizzard is now part of this nutjob's company.

While I won't say I've never bought DLC on the 360 it truly is ridiculous how much they charge for a few maps or a few cars, etc. When they have a proper engine and all the gameplay mechanics already in place multiplayer maps are child's play compared to the game yet a few more often cost 1/6th the game's total cost. I remember not too long ago PC game developers actually giving away new maps they'd created themselves at points after release. Not to mention there were enormous amounts of fan maps to choose from.

Most people who have never gamed on a PC but play on consoles never had this so it's easier for the game studios to convince them to pay for these things without feeling ripped off. It's hard to know what you're missing if you never had it. I'm not putting down console guys at all, but just think wouldn't it be nice if you could have that too someday?

If anyone is having a hard time understanding why many PC gamers are up in arms about this imagine if MW2 prevented you from playing with your friends in a party (or whatever the ps3 equivalent is) and you could only hope that the random matchups put you with them knowing it will likely never happen. It's not the same thing but what they've done to the PC version is even harsher.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

Altair,Nicely said,I think all CEO's today try to run companys the same way,it's getting to a point where the customers will become so jaded that they will quit buying,that's exactly what's happening in the automobile buisness right now,I've seen it trying to creep into the place I work,they are definately milking this recession for all it's worth!

If any smart companys will step up and cater to the hardcore PC Gamer they will make money faster than they can count it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modern Warfare 2 screws over PC gamers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: