Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Zmax

Old 10-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Nofrag
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zmax

Anybody use it? is it good? is it a gimmick?

Old 10-30-2009, 02:47 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

My buddy put it in his stang he said the car felt better.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:24 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

gimmick. The additives in it don't hold up at high heat. Might clean the cylinder, but that's about it.

If you feel like your vehicle is dragging a bit. Try a can of Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner down the TB, and a bottle of Chevron Techron in the tank.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:16 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

i dont know anyone with a reputable vehicle who uses zmax stuff. i had a college roommate who swore by it, but he drove a beretta, soooo...yeah.

i use lucas products...and i feel that it does among the best job on the market. when we got the aries, the PS reservoir was bone dry. i filled it and it leaked back out quickly. i added two bottles of lucas ps fix in a bottle and it fixed the leak. i understand thats not the same thing, but i use lucas in every vehicle (oil additives, fuel treatment) and i know lots of people with fast cars who use their stuff.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:22 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

ya i use lucuas on all my vehicles.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Nofrag
Champion

Yeah I've used the lucas fuel treatment, and I was happy with it. So I was just thinking of something to reduce friction and wear.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:33 AM
deranged
Record Breaker

Gimmick. Regular maintenance is good enough along with running good gas that will keep the fuel system clean. I went from running a discount brand gas to Shell and after a few tank fulls our vehicles performance increased significantly. The Dakota had fallen from around 18-20mpg to about 16 or less and now it's back up. The Neon went from 28 to 33 after switching brands. I've tried many "snake" oils over the years and unless you're racing, I've found that additives are useless in a well maintained street driven vehicle.

Ever wonder how much ole Carrol makes off those commercials?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Gimmick.

Yeah, Lucas products are great. Personally I don't use their oil additive, just because I feel that in a properly running engine, there's no need for anything except straight oil and a filter. However I've used their transmission Stops-Slip countless times and the only time it's ever failed me is if there are hard parts worn out inside the transmission.

Actually in my Jeep, I run plain old Dexron III with a bottle of Lucas as the friction modifier. My buddy did the same in his Jeep and my dad did the same in his Ram and they're all shifting just fine. For the average person, I still recommend sticking with what Chrysler recommends though.

Edit: Deranged, I can tell you first hand that "discount" gasoline is a joke. All gasoline is the same, some companies claim to put their own additives in, however I doubt they do, and if something is actually added, it's just snake oil. Here in Lima, Ohio we have a large oil refinery. You can drive by the plant and literally see every different gas station's truck in line waiting to be filled from the same place.

Now, this isn't saying that some of the cheaper gas stations have lower quality gasoline because they have a slower turnover rate, or old tanks that allow contaminates to leak in.

Last edited by Jr. Mechanic; 10-30-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by BadStratRT View Post
i dont know anyone with a reputable vehicle who uses additives.
Fixed.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:50 PM
deranged
Record Breaker

Not to argue the point, but I just know from first hand experience that switching brands did make a difference in performance and mileage in both these vehicles. Also in '95 I rode my 1100 Kaw from central Illinois to Atlanta Ga. to the Super Bike races (Road Atlanta is awesome by the way) and had ALWAYS ran Amoco premium in the bike. As I got farther south Amoco stations became non existent so I started refueling at Citgo. Mileage on the bike went from 34 mpg to almost 40 (at a steady cruise speed of 80 mph). The only difference on the trip was the fuel being put in. I guess it's as they say "your mileage may vary".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zmax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: