Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Steam Cleaning the Internals

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Steam Cleaning the Internals

Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steam Cleaning the Internals

Its involves introducing a mist of water (yes H2O!) through the intake while the engine it running thus steam cleaning the internals. Its not just dumping water into the intake, its a mist. Most should knwo that dumping water into the intake would cause a hydrolocked engine. I was conversing a few days ago with my Dad and a good family friend before I finally figured out I had a burnt valve in my Phuckus (Ford Focus), when the topic had come up. It was initially thought I had a stuck valve or such, and that a steaming might free it if the rislone didn't do so. I figured out the burnt valve before trying this technique out though. I have never done this nor have I seen it done. Anyways, how many of you have ever seen it done, heard of it done or have done it yourself? Be HONEST!

Heres a decent write up on it, as well as a video:

http://www.berrysweb.com/steam_clean.htm

Btw this video sounds like this car needs more than this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt7IY0keOD0

Old 12-07-2009, 12:46 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad told me that "back in the day" the racers used to mist water through the carb to clean the engines out at the track...

Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

I have heard about it, just like Pat mentioned with carbed cars but never seen or heard of actually doing it.

The thing that confuses me about hearing things like this is that mechanics and others will chaulk up rough running engines to bad gas or moisture in the gas from whatever. In that video, that guy put alot more water through than just a little bit of mist/moisture and it seemed like he was going to put 1.5 gallons through. That car even idling at that RPM range won't burn 1.5 gallons of gas by the time he gets through his water. A little scary I think.

I personally wouldn't try it.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:51 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

i know that diesel trucks will run water injection setups to keep EGTs down and they dont have problems,
but personally id rather just seafoam, i dont think steam would do anything noticeable

Old 12-07-2009, 08:04 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

I'm with batman on this, Seafoam instead of the water.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:43 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

i used to put methanol in my tanks when it was accessible, and free. i liked it

Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 AM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

I too heard back in the day from an old school mechanic about slowly pouring a cup of water down the throat of the carb to steam clean the internals. I've seen it done once with no ill effects.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:32 AM
1fast2liter
Captain

i used to do this to every car i bought.. a 20oz bottle of water then un hook a vacum line and take some tubing put one end in bottle the other would be big enough to fit the throttle body or intake mani were ever i disconected the hose.... raise the rpm's to about 1800 and find away to keep it their. then let it suck up the water.. keep engine running about 10-15mins after you do it.. even drive it... the last car i took the head off was squeaky clean

Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Its a legit solution to cleaning the inside of the cylinder and the valves. Not so much from steam but the water vapor does not ignite in the chamber (obvously) and the water creates a small harmonic disturbance inside the walls and will basically knock loose any carbon deposits inside the head.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steam Cleaning the Internals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: