Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Well, I'm gonna do it...

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Well, I'm gonna do it...

Old 12-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, I'm gonna do it...

Within the next week I plan on meeting with a recruiter from the USMC and enlisting in their DEP (delayed entry program.) I'm 17 and a Junior in HS. I attend an online academy that gives me the option of working ahead, and I could graduate about six months early if I work at it. I know being 17, I need my mother's consent (she's not crazy about the idea, but oh well.)

My best friend is currently enlisted and is coming home for two weeks before he gets deployed (January 14th) this Sunday (I'm picking him up from the air port, couldn't be more excited!)

Anyways he wants to go to the recruiters office with me which I'm extremely grateful for. I've heard plenty of horror stories about recruiters BS'ing you to meet their quotas.

I feel this will help me get a head start on my mental and physical training. I do things better when I'm committed to something, and to me this is the ultimate commitment. This will give me around a year get into shape and get my affairs in order.

I haven't taken my ASVAB yet. My buddy told me that they can help me at the recruiters office.

Anyone have any advice?

Last edited by Jr. Mechanic; 12-17-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
batman13
Grand Champion

good luck is all i can say,

Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

With many friends who have been in the Armed services and two of my very best friends in the Marines... I just have to say... make your decision wisely... take your time.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:08 PM
ksiiqtaboo
Rookie

Good luck.. i have joined the canadian forces. and i leave for basic in feb. im not sure how the USMC runs their recruiting but ours is pretty much you drop off your paper work with the trades/jobs you want they give you a call for your apptitude test interview and medical then your put on a waiting list... but again good luck.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:56 PM
deranged
Record Breaker

Damn JR I didn't even know you were so inclined but I agree with what was said above. Really think it through which I'm sure you are. I myself wouldn't want either of my son's enlisting but that's just me being protective of them which I'm sure is the case with your mother. If either of them decided that is what they wanted I would be extremely proud of their decision even if I was apprehensive. I am proud of any American who chooses the military especially. Good luck in whatever you decide though.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

get your *** in the motorpool!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Frenchy
Banned

My brother in law wanted to go into the Marines since he was 3 years old... and now that he's in it, he hates every single day of it.

He's been to Afghanistan and Iraq, and ya. He doesn't like it.

At all.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

Same thing with my two friends in the Marines and my cousin went in the Navy wanting to make a career out of it. Decided halfway through that was not what he wanted to do. But he was stuck.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Frenchy
Banned

Yup, Zach realized he wanted out after his first journey...

Well, he still has another year... and has been in it for two...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, I'm gonna do it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: