Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Any drywall experts in here?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Any drywall experts in here?

Old 01-10-2010, 04:22 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any drywall experts in here?

So I bought a house a couple months ago and I'm doing the usual paint, patch nail holes, replace flooring etc. Well the drywall on ceiling has some nail pops as I would call them. Any how, I'm assuming it happened because they used nails, ring shank I'm assuming. But I'm sure that gravity and the heat/cool thing is making them pop out a bit. I already planned on putting up crown molding around the room to cover any of them up, but is there something I should do to repair it permanently. When I had the home inspected my inspector told me I could remove the nail and put drywall screws in its place. Is that what I should do? Hoping a pro drywaller or someone who does general building will chime in. When I get a chance I'll try to post a picture up.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

I'm not a pro at it, but we have had the same thing happen on a few houses the family has bought in the past to flip before the market died.

We just did exactly what your inspector said to. Pulled the nail out, put a screw in its place. Actually put it in at an angle to get a new bite on it, and spackle over it. Wait about 30 minutes and sand smooth.

It works great as long as the sheetrock hasn't had water damage.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:39 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

okay...Truss up lift.

Roof truss's expand and contract in winter, and summer, your ceiling dry wall is attatched to the roof truss's, expansion and contraction will cause nails to pop.

screws are less likly to pop, but they still do, stiffing up the truss's with 1x4 in continiuos lengths will help, but, you have to get ino your attic, not fall threw your dry wall and nail the 1x4 on to the top of the bottom 2x4 portion of the truss.

you fix the nail pop now, and next year, you fix it again, thiers lots of how to info on the net, goggle truss up lift.

Verry commom problem in new homes, esp Calgary new homes..

Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i've fixed a lot of nail pops.

stick a generous piece of blue painter tape about 4 inches from each spot.

using a utility knife, cut out the cracked drywall compound. i usually cut out about a 1 inch square around the old nail head, plus any other thats cracked. try not to cut through the paper - only the old joint compound. i cut a square around the head, and then an X across the top. if you go through the paper, don't fret, but then sort of chamfer the edge and don't leave any loose paper exposed or it mess up the smoothness of the spackle.

use a nail set, drive the popped nail up about 1/4 inch. this nail is no longer holding anything, so just drive it up out of the way.

following the orientation of your joists above, place a 1-5/8 drywall screw on each side of the popped nail, in as close as possible. this is whats going to hold it up. i like to actually pinch the old nail between the 2 screws.

note that now it looks pretty bad... use either joint compound or spackling compound to fill the holes. allow each coat to dry and then sand it with 150 grit and a flat sanding block. the compound/spackling will dry and shrink, so you'll have to repeat about 3 or 4 coats. when sanding, hold a piece of cardboard under your work to minimize dust. keep your putty knife damp and clean. i use about a 4 inch blade.

when you get about done, the blue tape will become obvious, as the spots begin to disappear. without the tape, you'll lose some of them and miss sanding. these you find after painting

i've tried joint compound and spackling. i think i like the dap quick dry spackle the best (faster). or maybe i like a thick glob of joint compound. i can't decide.

i've found it covers better not to use real primer. sometimes the primer spot tends to shine through. it seems to do better to just prime it with the ceiling paint your going to use.

some do re-pop, but i've got about 90% or better success that stay fixed. i think the secret is to get a really thick layer of compound over them so they have some strength.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any drywall experts in here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: