Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Question for computer geeks

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Question for computer geeks

Old 02-07-2010, 04:39 PM
xray99
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newegg rocks, I gotta stay away from that place before I get carried away.
Thats where I got the video card, and my coming bluray.
I'm going to try Breastbuy for the cable tho, if they have any under $20.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

i think tigerdirect is a little better then newegg. the bad thing about tigerdirect is that there is an outlet in raleigh and that is only a 1 hour drive for me. the last time i went there i spent about 550$ on parts.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

newegg is cheaper in my experience, but i have to pay tax on anything from newegg since their warehouse is about 45 min away from me

Old 02-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Newegg is great, but always shop around since they might not always be the cheapest.

As for HDMI VS: DVI, I would personally go with the HDMI. The cables are more widely available and cheap. Not to mention, just about everything these days has at least one HDMI port....

If you paid more than $15.00 for a length of HDMI, then you overpaid. These stores amaze me with what they want to charge for a 6 foot section of it. Hell, I paid $25.00 for 60 foot of it when I put in the 42" plasma in our hot tub room. That way we could watch blurays and hidef from my laptop with out the moisture worries.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 PM
xray99
Banned

Well, went out shopping for an HDMI cable, and I have confirmed what I suspected - The HDMI cable market is a racket.

Best buy - Had none of the $8, $10 & $15 offerings they have plastered all over their web site.
Not 1, and they weren't just out of stock, they don't put them on the shelves, period.
I suppose their rationale is that when people buy some bluyray or playstation that needs one and comes in to get one, they are going to walk out with one no matter how much they have to pay.
Cheapest one was $29.99, for a 3 footer, what a joke. They were stocked full of the cables in the $40-$150 range ,,, And if you want a $12.99 cable like this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/6'+HDMI+Cable+-+6'+HDMI+Cable/9343061.p?id=1218088202342&skuId=9343061&st=hdmi cable then you'll just have to wait 3 to 5 days, and pay a $5 shipping charge to boot.

So off to walmart, apparently they are no better at standing up to the HDMI cable mafia than bestbuy.
They had one for $19.99, also a 3 footer.
$7 per foot sounds a bit extreme to me, plus 3 ft would barely make it to the monitor.
They did have a 6 ft with gold plated contact for $30, but I was convinced I could do better.

Went by gamestop and officemax, both were closed.
So I went to targets - They had a 2 pack of Belkin 6 ft'ers with gold contacts for $35, so thats what I got.
Now I got an extra so I don't have to go through this crap again if I get another device that needs one.

Hooked it up, it actually looks pretty bad compared to the DVI.
Everything looks a bit squished, text looks blurred, and it seems to stutter just about every time I click something or try to change windows, so switched it right back to DVI.
Granted, maybe I have to tinker with settings though to get optimal performance.

All in all, an experience I would not want to repeat any time soon.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

It shouldn't have looked any worse, that sounds like a settings issue. HDMI will not give you any better picture quality on that monitor than DVI will though, both are digital and both have more than enough bandwidth to fully handle a screen of that size. HDMI will also carry the audio but as the speakers on monitors are utter garbage 99% of the time I don't see that as a consideration.

As you've discovered HDMI cables are basically a gigantic scam at the box stores, especially Monster cables. It's a digital signal, if the cable works a more expensive cable is not going to work any better, it's sickening how badly places like best buy rip off the average consumer for these. For future reference Monoprice.com is my favorite site for cables, hard to beat their prices and cable selection.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 PM
xray99
Banned

I can see where perhaps superior shielding might yield better results, and may be worth a bit more.
Also, I have seen it argued that the flat ones are better than round ones.
Not sure about the gold plated advantage, but in any case I hardly think the difference in price to manufacture a good cable vs a very good cable warrants the astronomical markup. These things all probably cost a few $ to make in Asia, and not only is it a racket, but collusion is involved as well.

Manufacturers of products that need these cables don't included them in the box, simply to make you go out and buy one separately.
Outlets that sell them don't stock the cheaper ones, simply to make you buy a more expensive one.
I have no doubt they are scratching each others backs with this, its price gouging, collusion & racketeering in its most basic and obvious form - And the fact that governments are more corrupt than them even precludes any effective intervention on behalf of the raped consumer.

Same concept can be seen with just about anything computer related.
I remember the first time I bought a printer, Wow !, I thought.
Great deal ! Only $60, thats chump change, now I can print my own stuff !
Learned quickly that the printer cable wasn't included, $30 for that.
Then I found out the ink cartridges were $40 a pop, and my smile quickly turned into a frown.
Don't know how it is now, this was back in 2001 or so, and I still got the same printer, cartridges are getting mighty hard to find, so I'll be forced to upgrade at some point in time, unless I start using those refill kits.

Last edited by xray99; 02-08-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:21 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

about the wiring, it does yield results but unless you have a clean power filter it will always have some sort of signal problem...especially with sound. TV broadcast studios and music studios all run for the most part with this stuff optimizing visual and auditory qualities.
In my studio its what i use.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for computer geeks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: