Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

First Toyota, now GM issues recalls

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

First Toyota, now GM issues recalls

Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lots of companies are issuing recalls right now and its really well timed. toyota is taking up so much of the media with their seemingly endless bad news...the cars are killing people and we know now that their recall fixes dont work...nothing that GM, chrysler, ford or honda can do right now as far as recalls will even crack the first page of most auto columns with toyota being so deep into their own crap. GMs recall would have been BIG news two years ago but right now its just ignored with toyotas killing people...

Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

Well, their looking into those cases.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/05/auto...ttal/index.htm
Here is an article about the possible electronic throttle problems.
Please note towards the end of the story:
"Exponent was also able to replicate the same sequence of short circuits, with the same result, in other automakers' cars, which would undercut the allegation that the problem would be somehow unique to Toyotas."

And remember, Chrysler/Dodge have electronic throttle systems too.
(They just haven't used faulty pedals that stick "open")

Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Chrysler's issues are usually fuel rail related or airbag related for the biggest recalls. Usually such a small part as an O-ring and clockspring/sensory parts for airbags. On some limited models with their heated seats. And I think the biggest recall was 330,000...not millions!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

Well, as has been said by many, Toyota's problems probably haven't been helped by it's great growth. (Which they probably should have just grown at a slower rate: they didn't have to ramp up production, just because there was demand for 2M cars/year, doesn't mean they needed to produce).
As you sell more and more vehicles, by definition, if you receive bad parts, the number of effected vehicles will be larger.

Also, as has been PROVEN thus far, at least with the gas pedal, it's a manufacturer defect. (Yes, some say, "Well, the pedal was made exactly to Toyota's spec," but than why isn't the Denso pedal, made to the same spec, suffering from that problem?)
Toyota didn't manufacture the gas pedal.
Just like, I'm pretty sure Chrysler didn't manufacture an o-ring. And chances are, another company made the airbag components.

But I'm pretty sure you'd be there defending Chrysler if they had to recall 4 years worth of vehicles after a defect finally showed up.

Now, in the case of the Prius' brake issues, that is not a hardware fault. That was a software (programming) fault which they denied was a safety issue at first (bad move 1), and than, they were slow to fix (bad move 2). In those cases, I think the people that suffered accidents deserve to sue Toyota's *** off. Plain and simple.

Another thing that the government needs to (and I think is) looking into, is: how long has Toyota known about issues specific to IT'S electronic throttle? (i.e. those faulty pedals covered by recall where they add the shims; not those situations pointed out by some where they purposefully short-circuit the pedals electronics).
How long did Toyota know about it? Why didn't they do anything? Why is that, along with other safety issues that didn't have to be addressed, listed as "wins" in an internal memo?

Yes, Toyota has kinda had a "Goody Two Shoes" perception, and hopefully this will hit them right where it hurts (which is the pocketbook/sales) and get them on track.
But let's not forget that Toyota has climbed it's way to the top (well, it was) of sales, and does have a LOT of satisfied customers. I've got 18,000 trouble-free miles on my Toyota, which, is good compared to some.

Sure, Chrysler and GM have it's satisfied customers too, but which one's almost went broke? ... A sign of a good business is not almost going broke, but increasing your market share, and being able to weather bad economic times, as well as learning from your mistakes.

As for that last one, hopefully Toyota can. And maybe, one day, GM will. (Haha)
As for Dodge, well, we'll see how their front ends and steering boxes hold up!

Old 03-08-2010, 04:10 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Of course im going to defend chrysler when there is a recall...there are always recalls on most vehicles be it 12 or 12 million. The problem with toyota is that they buried 12 or more years worth of recalls and still seeing court time and massive recalls and government probes because of this! Kinda reminds you of another incident several years ago doesnt it?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

lets also look at the fact that when any of the big three have had security issues, they have generally owned up to it right away and fixed the issue. toyota knowingly and willingly avoid recalls about issues that they knew were killing people...especially from a brand that holds itself above the rest of the automakers in the world for being so perfect. too many consumers bought into that crap, which is why they sell so well.

toyota's issue is similar to nothing in my lifetime or my dad's automotive career, stemming back some 60 years. he cannot ever recall a company having issues that has spread across basically an entire lineup like this...or a time when a company has been caught intentionally avoiding recalls for safety issues. just because lots of people in this country buy into the BS spewed about toyota's flawless quality and bought their trash is no excuse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Toyota, now GM issues recalls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: