Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Geo-Caching

Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 PM
chevyguy1973
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geo-Caching

Anyone try it? The wife came up with this as something we could do together. It gets us out of the house, I get to use my GPS, and depending on location, maybe see some beautiful scenery. I'd never heard of it before she mentioned it, but looking at the website, obviously it's fairly popular.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Yes I do it. It is fun. If anyone doesn't know what it is Ill give a brief description.

Geocacing is when you use a hand held GPSr to find a hidden container, some with logs, some with other goodies. You go to www.geocaching.com and find some in a specific area. Thousands all over the place. Most you never would of thought were there. It is a great way to find new places in your home town or anywhere.

It sounds like the GPSr will give you the exact spot and it will be easy. Some can be tough the GPSr can only get you within 20ft. And it can be hidden anywhere. Trees through off the GPSr.

There are a lot of back roads out here. It is nice to be able to use the 4wd to drive up to the spot. The caches in the city are usually very small like a 35mm film tube. You can find larger caches outside the city. Like an ammo can or a larger tub. You can find cool thing within.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 AM
chevyguy1973
Professional

Yea, I couldn't believe how many caches there are pretty much all over the country. There were several within walking distance of our house. Going to Moab for Jeep Safari in March, maybe we'll add geocaching to the list of events for the week. Thanks for the insight.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

my wife is also into geocaching. her sister got her involved. it is fun and a family activity. we go to caches by truck, boat, and hike. SIL lived in Fla and she has geocached all over. really fun activity.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Yes it is a great family activity. I bought a simple GPSr for my 8yr brother to use. He loves he can do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: