Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Looking into Car Subs

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Looking into Car Subs

Old 04-02-2010, 12:51 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Ive seen so many Blown RF punches its Hilarious. I have two Kicker SOLO-x 10's and they are decent but separate from surrounds easily. JBL is also one to check out...But still Pricey. I will tell ya tho My friend had 2 12" Jensens from back in the day that pounded and sounded as good as 2 JL w0s back in the day. I dont think jensen makes subs NEMORE but some cheapos will suprise you.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

The majority of this argument lies in what your ear likes to hear. If it isn't tuned in enough to catch subtle note changes at a high range, then yes, a lower end product will work for you.

When I install a system in a vehicle, I like to know that that system is going to stand up to some abuse. I've been around the block a little bit and have seen what brands last and don't last in vehicles whose owners shall we say, don't really rake care of it.

Things like dust, soda and other baddies will destroy any product, but it has been my expierence that lower end brands will die quicker.

I have seen a lot of JVC equipment come by my home from friends who were having issues, and in the end, I can see that the internal amps on their H/Us are very finicky. It does not take very much to pop a channel in them or get them to the point where they are just cooked and wont turn on.

Sony and Awia is the same way. The difference is that the Sony and Sony gutted decks are more common to just not work out of the box.

When we look at JVC speakers, they just can't hold a candle or decibel in this instance compared to other brands.

In the end, just listen to some speakers and see what you like. I would also recommend that you wait until you have the funds to do a complete overhaul of your audio. Again, you'll be happier in the long run.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 PM
rmorgan482

Fijitsu Ten (Eclipse products) recently announced that they are no longer going to be involved in car electronics industry. Im not recommending this brand but if your wanting their product you may want to buy it while you still can. I am an MECP certified installer and would have to say spend the money to buy a product of quality, if you dont have the money then just wait until you. I personally run a Kicker CVX 10 and a Kicker ZX1500 that I purchased back when I had Kicker accomodations at Circuit City and it is a clean, hard hitting setup (For those that think that amp is overkill, I used to run 2 CVX's on a 2ohm load with this amp, now just one at 4 ohm load). There is a guy that makes boxes for the center seat of Dodge Ram's, Boyd is his name and supercrewsound.com carries this particular box. If your going to do something, do it right so you will have products that sound good and actually lasts a while! Kicker's CVR's would be the lowest quality I would recommend (stay away from comps or CVT), the RF P3 seem to hold up since I have not seen a lot of those come back. You will get what you pay for and make sure and check online for product because you can usually find car audio merchandise at cost. Best Buy picked up kicker and polk and will start carrying their products in the next few months. It is anticipated that RF will be faded out

Old 04-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

I had P3s in my truck and I had P2s in a 1999 Surburban. Neither held up.

Interesting news on Eclipse. If true, I might have to go out and buy up what I want...

While you're here, what have you heard about Hertz by Focal?

When I got into this game, I went to Best buy and got led astray royally. I started with a set of P3 Fosgate woofers 10" and a Power Acoustik amp at 900W.

When the seals failed on the Fosgates, I went with my 500W Eclipse woofers that I have now. 10"
Then a buddy of mine was selling his Infinity Kappa Perfect 6X9 speakers so I bought all four of them. Threw two in the doors and two under the seats. Powered them off of the Awia Deck that I had.... When it died, I got a Pioneer H/U and have been happy ever since.

I got the itch for more sound, so I bought a 4 channel 800W Eclipse amp for the 6X9's.

Then Cooked the Power Acoustik, my fault, but it happened. Went with a Class D Kenwood 1000W 2 channel

A Forum friend on here offered to pick me up a set of 6 1/2" Infinity Kappas from his work so I put those in the rear wall. Powered them off of the H/U until I had the cash to pick up an Alpine 500W two channel amp for those.

I now make your ears bleed.

Last edited by Laramie1997; 04-03-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Billiam
Champion

Yea, I got a single JL 10 in mine with old Kenwood amp bridged to 600 powering it. Sounds great.

If i still had my other 5 Subs, I would have sold one to ya for shipping. I gave em all a way.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:06 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

alpine all the way. i have type-r components up front type-r coaxils in the rear powered by a pdx-4.100 and an empty fox box waiting on some 2 10" type-r subs and a pdx-1.1000 all powered by an alpine ida-x200 soon to be the w-505.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

I personally prefer to own Kicker amps, JL subs and Eclipse everything else. That's what I currently have, besides the stock Infinity speakers and the busted JL sub. I stuffed too much into my trunk....

Old 04-04-2010, 11:52 PM
X3r0a1m

Originally Posted by Laramie1997 View Post
While I usually like what Eric has to say, I just have to disagree with the Fosgate recommendation. I have never been impressed with the quality of their speakers. I have lost count of how many of their woofers that I've resealed because it's a tacky adhesive bound foam seal around the cone. I was in BB yesterday and the fosgate subs they were selling were still built like this.

Brands to look at:

Infinity
Eclipse
JL
Polk
Alpine

Brands to stay away from:

DUAL
JVC
Kicker
Kenwood- With the exception of their amps
Pioneer- With the exception of their H/Us
MTX

And just about any other low priced speaker, now I know common sense goes hand in hand with this, but really? Two ten inch woofer under a 100 is something I would ignore.

About the Kicker subs. i bought 2 12" kicker CVX an box with eclips 700 watt amp on crags list for 240 and i have to say the kick that im getting out of them is awesome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking into Car Subs

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: