Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

NOT dodge related SORRY!! motorycle..

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

NOT dodge related SORRY!! motorycle..

Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

I beg to differ with the wheelie comment with a 600. My bike wheelies just fine for blocks at a time, no clutch involved at all. I have ridden damn near every and most all sport bikes and owned more than most people will ever look at. I have also raced for 2 seasons (road coarse) and maybe doing my 3rd year this year if it all works out right... I am 6' foot and currently own a 636 Kawasaki Ninja, it is modded up for racing but it keeps up right along side my buddy who races a 2008 GSXR 750. Yes experience is a factor when it comes to speed and F'ing around, but remember they both can kill you in a split second. The speed limit is the same on any bike....Don't care if your tall, a GSXR1000 is a crazy machine (especially if your thinking of getting one of the new Generation models) Most guys that upgrade to this end up selling it because it is just to much for them. I would stick with a starter bike, the 636 is my most favorite bike I have ever owned. Extremely quick, nimble and you can really throw this thing down in the corners. The KawI is rock solid also, that is why you see a lot of stunters using this bike. Honda makes a really nice machine. As far as Yami goes, well nice looking but a lot of fuel injection issues with these bikes, especially the 600 class. What ever you do dodgeblackedout, make sure you respect what your riding or it will kill you if you don't!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Do what RH and Pat said.

My best friend through HS and college got into bikes in 2007. He started with an 87 honda bike, and now drives a bugatti. You just have to get experience first. I know he's glad he wrecked the old Honda instead of his Bugatti. Even if I still had to rush his *** to the ER with a cracked open skull.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
rickmeseke
Professional

i'm 17, never ridden a bike until a few months ago, got to drive my cousins ninja250, it was his starter bike, now hes on a gxsr 600 IIRC, and maybe just because it was my first time, but that 250 was PLENTY for me, i mean im not a bike rider by any means, but ill try anything once, and that lil bike had enough get up and go that if i were to ride id probably be happy on that. and im sure yeah, as you get more confident and experienced you can slowly upgrade, but im just saying, that 250 was good for me and that was my first time.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

all i will say is if you get a bike dont go riding down the lines on highways btwn cars or speeding and switching back and forth btwn lanes or being an overall dick on the bike, they dont own the road, and its not cool to ride em like an ***

(i only say this because on my way back to school tonight there was a group of about 7 or 8 jackasses on sport bikes doing just that, cutting off cars, trucks, semi rigs, you name, even a cop, and then flew off squeezing between cars doing wheelies and all that crap)

now that iv said that i agree that the smaller bike is the place to start (i have worked with a number of the <600cc engines for the fsae competition) and they make plenty of power to learn on, they make more than enough power for our car (essentially a go cart sized formula car)

Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

I don't seem to understand why going from a 600cc to a 1000cc Super Sport is a "move up." It's not a "move up," it's a "move over." Both bikes have different purposes. Yes, they are both designed relatively the same with the same goals in mind, but I will tell you, if you think the 1000cc is somehow a "bigger boy" bike then it's "kid brother," you are sorely mistaken. The 1000cc bike is a powerhouse of epic proportions, I don't care what brand. I had a GSXR 1000 and wish I bought the 600. It was so powerful that it limited what I could do with it because I couldn't control the power as well as I could on a 600cc. Anyone who knows how to ride a sport bike (no, wheelies don't count here...I said RIDE the bike, not stunt it) will tell you that a 600cc will out-corner a 1000cc on a tight technical course/road any day of the week. And anyone who says this is correct.

A 600cc sportbike is still able to haul 230lbs of large gelatinous man up to 160-170MPH in just a few seconds. THAT'S NOT FAST ENOUGH FOR YOU?

A sport bike is a very different animal then a dirtbike. I've ridden both for many years and have 30,000 miles or more on two wheels. A sport bike is a finely tuned precision machine that requires the same from it's rider. Everything from the brakes to the suspension to the throttle are TOUCHY and sensitive responding to the slightest input, and let me tell ya, that panic grab on the front brake lever while banked in a curve because you saw an animal cross the road will ensure that you barrel roll off the high side of that curve with the bike tumbling after you.

"LOL OMG I cnat weelie my 600???!!!1" <---If that's you, start on a Honda Rebel and save all of our insurance premiums.

Sorry for the rant, but too many do not take riding, especially riding sport bikes, seriously and give the rest of us a bad name...not to mention DIE in large numbers.

Last edited by audiomechanic; 04-05-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

an r6 and an r1 are two different bikes similar but the r1 is noticably bigger

the yzfr6 and r1 from the early 2000s are roughly the same size. So this isnt about small bike big bike based on CCs its about the r6 or r1. And a big guy on an r6 looks funny if it were a cow or honda wouldnt be an issue

Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

I'm with audiomechanic...

Here's my 2 cents now. I would take a grand and find a used 250 anything to ride around for a few months. Riding in the road is nothing like dirt. Get used to how cars/trucks respond to you, how the bike turns, runs over RR tracks, rain driving, night driving, etc. Once you you feel REALLY comfortable driving on the road, then you can upgrade.

Now, what audio was saying about the 600 1000 difference is dead on and in reality, most 600's to 1000's within the same company are pretty close in size. The 1000 will just look a little fatter compared to a 600 because of the engine size. As far as control, audio nailed it with the 600 being easier to handle.

I have been riding since I was 16 (now 35). My first bike was a Suzuki 250 gsx, kinda like the rebel back in the day. Paid $500 for it and rode it for a year. Bike only did 85 mph's sure, but after a few months, I was handling it pretty good. Then I jumped to a honda Shadow 750 and a couple other cruisers before I ventured into the sport bike area. When I bought my first sport bike, the dealer I went to actually let me drive a 500cc Suzuki sportbike for a week to make sure that I want to get into it. I did and I got a gsxr 1000 for my first bike. It seemed like a boat for me at first, I babied her, was a little scared going into corners, but eventually got it under control. Switched to an R1 and one of things I had to do was extend the swing arm so the front will stayed on the ground. I was not a stunter, but I liked to go fast and when you can drop 3 gears at 120 mph's and rev to 13k rpm's, the power of the 1000 will pull the front wheel up if you don't know what you are doing.

As you can see, I have been riding for awhile have experience across the board on all types of bikes. What I left out was how car drivers may not see you and mention how many times I have been run off the road, slammed on my brakes to avoid cars pulling in front of me, and many other things. If you in anyway, don't know what to do with the power, you can and will make mistakes. Not even the best drivers can avoid everything. I, too, got hit by a car and was taken out of commission for 6 months. A car was driving beside me, I made sure that I was in direct sight of the driver by placing myself just to the front right of the car, and the lady still made a hard right to try and get into a plaza and drove right through me. Nothing I could do, cars in front of me so I could not accelerate.

You have to be careful, pay attention, and KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Buy a 600, drive it for a while, and if you think you need to go faster, buy a 1000. You could even split the difference and go with a 750. Hope I helped a little.

BTW, I'm done with my sport bike running. I am going back to cruisers...LOL

Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

just dont buy an r6 if you are worried bout bein too big. LMAO @ the buy a 250 comment...why? A 500/600 is perfect starter bike especially for someone with dirtbike experience. A 250 is like a popular starter bike for girls. If you are worried about how to ride just do an abate course on motorcycle safety. They start you off on smaller bikes anyways. All my motocross friends started with a 600cc ...some even bought 1000cc bikes for their firsts and never had the problems with the handling. To be honest I think there is a higher percentage of atv dirtbike accidents/ fatalities then Motorcycles 55 per 100000 for motorcycles...and 177 per 10000 for atvs and I think dirtbikes falls into the motorcycle category.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Here's another reason to start on a 600cc vs a 1000cc: you will learn how to properly ride a sport bike SLOWER on a 1000cc than you would on a 600cc. Why? Let's say you were learning how to shoot rifles. You have some pistol experience (dirtbikes) but never shot a rifle (sportbike on the street). Would you begin with a .230 (600cc) or a Barret .50 cal (1000cc)?

A 600cc sportbike's power is much more manageable than a 1000cc. So, with a 600, you'd be spending more time hoaning your rider skill, then keeping the front end down, or trying not to wash out the rear tire by getting on the throttle too hard out of that apex on the 1000.

It's your choice and you're going to do what you're going to do, but you asked for opinions, and I'm giving you mine, which is based upon thousands of miles of experience, not to mention, reading and listening to those with far more experience than me.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Oh, one more thing, make sure you include quality gear in your purchase of the bike. This means, a full face helmet, a leather jacket (armored mesh jacket at minimum), armored pants, boots and gloves.

If you plan to ride without a lid, in flipflops, shorts and a wife beater (because skin grafts look GREAT this time of year!) please keep your two-wheeled adventures in the dirt.

I'm not trying to be your dad, although I probably sound like it. Truth is, I'm 26 years old. But I've had a couple spills and grew up a bunch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NOT dodge related SORRY!! motorycle..

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: