Legal Tint %'s in your areas - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Legal Tint %'s in your areas

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Legal Tint %'s in your areas

Old 05-25-2005, 03:58 AM
Cici22499
Default Legal Tint %'s in your areas

Hey guys,
Well its getting super hot already here in florida and I want to get the windows tinted to help fend off the heat. Here's the thing.. i currently live in Fl, but could be relocating with in the next few years to possible different places, including but not limited to VA, NC, and SC, and i dont want to deal with re-tinting b/c of legalities and what not. I know in va only 20% and below is legal, here in Florida I believe it goes as dark as limo.. any feed back from where you are is greatly appreciated. I dont want to pay for this twice

Old 05-25-2005, 04:05 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Default RE: Legal Tint %'s in your areas

No you can't go LIMO in FLA, lol.

Here, this has everything!

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Old 05-25-2005, 04:09 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

in pa ive been told by several officers that "nothing that isnt stock is permitted on the front widnows"....here in michigan, i guess it is the same, but i have seen cars that appear to have windows painted black...i guess the cops are too busy catching murderers here than worrying about window tint

Old 05-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

(EDITED AND UPDATED)

Window Tint Laws

Percentage Numbers represent amount of light transmission.
Example : 35% means 35% light transmission.
Also known as VLT or Visible Light Transmission.
Film - Amount of light that is required to pass through window film.
Example : 35% Film means that the film must pass through at least 35% visible light.

Net - Amount of light that is required to pass both the car window and the tint film.
MPV - A vehicle such as a recreation vehicle such as a pickup truck including GMC Suburbans, Nissan Pathfinders, Extra Cab Trucks

When info is given, it is in the format of :
Windshield / Front Side Windows / Rear Side Windows / Rear-Back Window / Year Passed
Where :
NO - No Film is Allowed
ANY - Any degree of tinting is allowed
AS-1 - On the windshield, there is a mark that says "AS-1" toward the top that defines that the tint cannot go below.
UnDef - Nothing defined in the law.
FMVSS 205 - A regulation that is found in the Code of Federal Regulation. The regulation is found in 49 CFR 571.205
35 % Film - Light that is measured on the film alone
35 % Net - Light that is measured both through the film and car window

Example

4 inches / 35 % Film / 15 % Net / 5 % Net / 1994

A tint brow on the windshield cannot go no lower than 4 inches, 35% film may be applied to the front side windows, 15% light must go through the combined window film and windows for the rear side windows and 5 % light transmission is required on the rear back window and film combined. The year 1994 is the year that the law went into effect.
---------------------------------------------------

Florida
AS-1 / 28% Net / 15% Net / 15% Net / 198?

Note : MPV Vehicles windows behind the front side doors must allow for 6 % Net light transmission.

Enforcement Note : Law enforced by the use of light meters and can apply to out-of-state motorist.

Michigan
4 inches / 4 inches / ANY / ANY / 198x

Note : Changes to the law has been discussed such as allowing for 35% tint on the front side windows but the State Police would push hard for a complete ban on tint if it got through and they have the political power to do it.

Enforcement Note : Michigan State police will give the 3rd degree look to any car that is not in compliance with MI tint law but will usually leave out-of-state motorist alone.

North Carolina
AS-1 / 32% Net / 32% Net / 32% Net / 1996

Enforcement Note : Illegal tint is a reson to fail state safety inspection. Out-of-state cars must be in compliance with tint law in the state where registered.

Pennsylvania
NO / NO / NO / NO / 1996 for 1998 model year and after NO / NO / ANY / ANY before 1998 Model Year

Enforcement Note : Illegal tint on cars can be a reason to be failed in the state safety inspection which was struck down in court.

South Carolina
UnDef / 27% Net / ANY / *27% Net / 1993

Special Note : If the rear-back window was tinted darker than 27% VLT before 1/1/93, it continues to be legal as long as it is the original tint. There was also a bill to require 50% VLT on front side windows and rear-back effective 1/1/99. If the Rear-back window was done before 1/1/99, it must have at least 27% VLT. It never got out of committee but with many sponsors, it can be counted on to be back.

Virginia
AS-1 / 43% Net / 35% Film / 35% Film / 1993

Enforcement Note : Tint law may technically be applied to out-of-state registered cars. There is HB 1563 which would make the law apply to VA registered cars only. The bill did not pass. VA State Police opinion on out-of-state cars with tint that does not comply with VA law.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:23 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

lol.. dont know where youre getting that for PA chase...cars cant even pass the yearly safety inspection with window tint.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:27 AM
DeletedUser01

I got Limo on mine all around, even a strip on the windshield. I had to sign some paper at the place i had it done at so i signed my name along with the 50 other people on the sheet did.

If you check my pics out you can see that you can't even see thru my truck on a Sunny Day in SW Fla.

Catch ya later.

Jim.

P.S. my avatar was before i had it tinted. fyi.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:29 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

The Law about Window Tinting in Pennsylvania. The Law says it's legal. Police say it's not! Who wins?

TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

Note that the law only prohibits tinting which prevents a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the vehicle. It does not prohibit all tinting or tinting below 70%.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:36 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

hmmm..thats what sucks about PA..the police around my area nail anyone they want for tint..its never state, always local morons...

as for the inspection code, it used to be a failable offense, and while its not anymore, an inspector can fail any vehicle which he or she deems to have "additions that cause the vehicle to be unfit or unsafe for public roads, based on the inspectors discretion"

funny, but mustangs had an AWFUL pass/fail ratio when i was an inspector...lol

Old 05-25-2005, 01:30 PM
vlsun
Veteran

only allowed 50% in front windows here =\

Old 05-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Cici22499

Hey Chase, thanks so much for the site! So, when it says just "Legal" with out a % that means you can get anything? Thanks for the help,
Cici

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Legal Tint %'s in your areas

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: