Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

You better be sick when you use a sick day!!

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

You better be sick when you use a sick day!!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks
Default You better be sick when you use a sick day!!

Read this on Yahoo news:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...7093635068.htm

I cant believe that's even ethical, goes to show how much trust an employer has in its employees, arent we all guilty at least once of using a sick day when we weren't sick?

Funny thing about it, I found a job to apply for, I am thinking of a career move, something more in the law enforcement area, and one of the companies mentioned in the article is in Clifton Park N.Y. about 20 mins from me and they are looking for field investigators.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Sadly, I get the impression that these companies are paying more for this private detective a day than what they probably pay their employee...

That said, you do understand that many businesses are stalking social networking sites for the same reasons? Did you also know that it is also legal for our government to use our social data against us for taxation and in some cases civil/criminal suits?

I have heard horror stories about people who claim this or claim that on their taxes or claim to be making much less than what they actually did and getting convicted of tax evasion because of their facebook activities... OR my favorite: People complaining about the place they work for only to have forgotten that their boss is on their friends list...

Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator

When I worked for Southern Data Systems in the early to mid '90s they could care less what you did when you called in "sick". You got five days a year with pay, called "personal days". When you used them up, that was it, any more days you needed off, you didn't get paid...

Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

I agree with what the article is saying. The examples they used are people blatantly abusing the system costing the companies money. In the car accident recovery example the employee may have been collecting workers comp and short term disability pay. When you are working for a company, you are expected to do your job. If you are manipulating the system, then you should be gone.

The company I work for is HUGE. They offer all the benefits available to an employee that you can think of. I would be ticked off if I am there bustin my hump while the next person is abusing our benefits package that is there to take care of us no matter what happens.

The only example that I thought was a little weird to hire a P.I. on was the woman that took 3 days to goto the park. Unless she does that alot, I can't justify seeing spending out the money to catch her, unless they REALLY wanted to get rid of her.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

some one got fired from my previous job for calling in sick. he kept doing it and it was pissing the rest of us off. the boss finally told that if he didn't show up, he would lose his job. well, the next he never showed up. btw it wasn't me

Old 12-09-2010, 11:39 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I can see ok a worker that calls off like once a week or something but I say if you only get so many sick days and thats it after that then you should be able to miss so many when you want. I remember before my dad left his old job he had like a month of paid personal days and he used every single day until he had none left(he didnt do much at his job anyway lol) I rarely call off only because winter time is our off season unless we get snow and so far i've gone to work to put plows on and went salting 4 days lol

Old 12-10-2010, 04:47 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by HammerZ71 View Post
When I worked for Southern Data Systems in the early to mid '90s they could care less what you did when you called in "sick". You got five days a year with pay, called "personal days". When you used them up, that was it, any more days you needed off, you didn't get paid...
This is how my current job and boss is. He knows that people rarely use sick days because they're sick. I don't even pretend to cough and whatnot when I call in. My boss understands that those days are the employee's to use. If they squander them on stupid stuff, then they're s*** out of luck when they do get sick.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 PM
motorider228
Champion

My employer requires us to go to the clinic and have a doctor sign off that we are in fact sick. We then get the days off that the doctor approved for us to rest. It works out very well I think. It kills our daily operations if someone is too ill to show up to work. We get no personal days, but we do get 30 days of paid leave per year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You better be sick when you use a sick day!!

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: