Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

I need electric impact wrench refferals

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

I need electric impact wrench refferals

Old 12-11-2010, 05:13 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Default I need electric impact wrench refferals

I have struggled with unruly nuts and bolts for the last time. THE LAST TIME!! My dad won't get an air compressor for his shop, so I'm stuck with electricity. I was googling around, and became somewhat lost in the selection. Hog ring anvis vs. detent pin anvil, and all the different makes! I work on vehicles often, and I estimate I would need it around two to three times a month at least, so I'd rather not buy the Harbor Freight special. However, I would prefer to keep the cost around $150. Anyone with a preference?

Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

We have a milwaukee one at work for being electric it works pretty good im not sure of the model ill have to look wed when I go in only other thing I know is its a half inch. I know dewalt makes one too but not sure what the cons and pros are for it.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

The main brand I was looking at is Dewalt. There are two models of 1/2" drive wrenches with different anvil designs (hog ring or detent pin). What is what? Thanks!!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Pwall
Veteran

you looking for cordless or corded
i have an 18 volt cordless milwaukee with a 3/4 anvil that makes 525 ft lb of torque
or you can look at snap-on or matco they also make cordless that have more power

Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363 View Post
The main brand I was looking at is Dewalt. There are two models of 1/2" drive wrenches with different anvil designs (hog ring or detent pin). What is what? Thanks!!
I know the detent pin is like a ratchet where you have to press the button to get the socket off. I think the hog ring doesnt have that its just a push on and use deal but I could be wrong.

Snap on is great if you have the money to buy the stuff I get 25% off from them but I already have pretty much everything ill ever need But I still find it way cheaper to buy craftsman

Old 12-13-2010, 08:26 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

it all depends on the the torque really. i used a powermate that had 400ft-lbs of torque and it couldn't get the crank pulley off my honda. it ended up burning out after the 3rd day of use. i used another one that had the same torque and it popped the bolts off the bed of my truck right away. for the car i bought a Milwaukee(native for me) that had 600ft-lbs of torque(got on discount through a relative who worked there) and it took it right off.

for what your going to be using it for, you'll want to get a higher end one.

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 12-13-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

I think corded would be the best for right now. I want cheap quality with lots of power (Don't we all?). So you say Milwaukee?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:33 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Never had a problem with ours and im sure dewalt would be fine it just I never used one before.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Pwall
Veteran

you can't go wrong with milwaukee or dewalt but check that you have enough torque to take tough bolts or lugs off i would recommend 550lb of breakaway force as a minimum

Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Pwall View Post
you can't go wrong with milwaukee or dewalt but check that you have enough torque to take tough bolts or lugs off i would recommend 550lb of breakaway force as a minimum
i would definitely recomend ether of the 2 and i highly agree with the torque because anything smaller and you'll end up wearing it down faster with the tougher bolts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need electric impact wrench refferals

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: