Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Dash camera opinions.

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Dash camera opinions.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:34 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash camera opinions.

Just wondering what everyong here thinks about dash cams. I saw a video on YouTube about how a guy with a dash cam saved himself from getting scammed. He was on a highway and the car in front of him stopped, then backed into him. The guy was looking for a quick score and told him for a few hundred bucks, he would forget the whole thing. Said that since it was the dash cam guys front that hit the back of his car, that he was at fault. The guy pointed out the dash cam and the scammer was pissed. He didn't get away with it... so the story goes. NOW my wife just got a new car for work. Had 1000 miles on it. Was driving in a parking garage in Hartford Ct the the car in front of her started backing up. There was another car behind her blocking any exit. She burried the horn but the person kept backing until he hit her. First thing she did was call 911 and ask for the police. The guy came out and was giving my wife a hard time saying he didn't have time for this. She told him she called the cops and if he left, he was leaving the scene of a accident. This really pissed the guy off. He called "someone" and she heard him telling them that she called the cops. As he hung up, the ONLY witness (car that blocked her exit) took off. so now NO witnesses. The guy told the cop that my wife was speeding and smashed into him. my wife told them what really happened. no one was ticketed, and both have gone to the insurance. Right now, it is her word against his. SOO she now have a dash cam. I got one to see how it would work and I really like it. Like it so much, I got 2 more. One for me and one for our son also. for 32 bucks, I think it is good insurance. What is your thoughts on the dash cam? legal in your state? I also have read and seen where the cops don't like them. I guess if the cops are doing their job, they shouldn't have any issue with it. There is no expectation of privacy when you are out in public. so that argument dosen't wash either.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM
dsolorio
Professional

I think its a pretty good idea. I have cameras around my house, why not my car?

Old 03-31-2012, 07:17 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

Thats not a bad idea, wish I had one when the 5th Ave got whacked 3 years ago. Where did you get yours? Rosen's Police Supply on Central.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have been thinking about a contour HD gps model with the windshield mount for the simple fact that it would also give me a speed record alond with a visual record of what is going on, therefor also have proof that no i wasnt speeding if something like that ever happened to me. however the contour cameras are on the expensive side.

I would like to see a link to the one that you got because for $32 i would jump on it.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used my phone several times as one...

heres the last video I did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZnaN9EnvcU

Good idea none the less, what cam did you get?

Old 04-01-2012, 12:20 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

I got this one first...

http://www.carcameradirect.com/

then found the other 2 for 28 bucks each, no shipping cost on ebay. they are shipped from China, takes 3 - 4 weeks delivery. but it really works great. the SD memory that comes with it sucks and wasn't recognizable. so I had to get different SD cards. have a 2 gig in my wifes, thinking about getting bigger ones and swapping out my wifes for more storage. so for 1/2 the price, you can get this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320851570401

same as the one I got online...

28 online at ebay, and a sale at staples for the new SD card.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Renegade3
Default Dash cam

Hey Paul...the 2 dash cams you bought after you bought yours..were they equipped with AUDIO recording capabilities...? If so how good is it and if not was the first dash cam you bought equipped with AUDIO...??/ Thanks

Old 06-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Nubison

yes it is really works and perfectly prevent you from getting scammed, it is very popular here around me, most of my friends have one for their cars, I got this one last Christmas: http://www.szswill.com/car-camera-hd...mera-d220.html but now I feel that it looks not nice, and now considering change another one

Old 06-16-2013, 02:22 PM
magnethead
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, would have been better off letting the guy go, getting his license plate, and have him tagged with leaving the scene. Retaining the witness would have helped too.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 PM
LAKOTA169
All Star

Unless the "witness" was part of the deal and was intentionally blocking her from backing up. She may have been very lucky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash camera opinions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: