Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Trade your Dodge for a Volkswagen Truck?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Trade your Dodge for a Volkswagen Truck?

Old 03-06-2014, 11:33 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
At my part time job we had an 83 Rabbit diesel that we used for deliveries. I could usually get out and run faster than that thing when taking off from a stop...lol, but, it would never die either, no matter how hard us college kids tried.

Mine wouldn't die either, except I couldn't afford to replace all the leaking injectors at 17 years old. I traded up/down to a Subaru wagon that blew head gaskets every other month.

Just to be fair, from my perspective ALL cars are pieces of crap.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Marlin

Originally Posted by Gary-L View Post
Your statement has merit; however, the percentage of vehicles VW manufactures with poor reliability pales in comparison to the rest of the lineup. Were that not the case, then Volkswagen would not be profitable enough to expand into other markets and thereby increase volume.

The other factor in VWs favor is that VW has accomplished what almost every manufacturer has worked toward, for decades, which is a single platform shared by a majority of models it produces.

Back to the unreliability statement -- if the vehicle was built in Germany (ie the Golf, New Beetle, or Jetta models) and imported to the US, reliability was not an issue; however, back when the New Beetle came out (circa 1998) the New Beetle and other models built in the Puebla plant had horrid reliability problems. Vehicles produced were so bad (for about four or five years) that dealers in the US would refuse vehicle deliveries if the cars on the truck originated from the Puebla plant. VW officials in Germany had had enough and ordered the plant shut down for 30 days and required every single employee to re-train and requalify for his position. Quality of the products produced increased dramatically (as expected).
citation needed

Hahaha... so you are going to try the ole "the german ones were not bad...". That song and dance has gone on for as long as I worked on cars and still is BS.

Even the VW executive vice president admitted their cars had problems back when.
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...923-145ev.html

VW sales in the US have been awful. They even thought of pulling out for a while.
"VW's U.S. sales weakness continued in February, sliding 13.8% vs. a year ago to 27,112."

Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
citation needed

Hahaha... so you are going to try the ole "the german ones were not bad...". That song and dance has gone on for as long as I worked on cars and still is BS.

Even the VW executive vice president admitted their cars had problems back when.
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...923-145ev.html

VW sales in the US have been awful. They even thought of pulling out for a while.
"VW's U.S. sales weakness continued in February, sliding 13.8% vs. a year ago to 27,112."
One article about the Golf IV, from 2008

Volkswagen has never had much market penetration, in the United States, after the 1970s.

Here's an article from 2013: VW's rise to global No. 1 remains elusive as U.S. sales disappoint

Anyway, think what you want. I would much rather drive/own a VW than most any passenger car manufactured by Ford, GM, or Chrysler.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:32 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Gary-L View Post
Anyway, think what you want. I would much rather drive/own a VW than most any passenger car manufactured by Ford, GM, or Chrysler.

Best VW EVAAAR ! (;

Attached Thumbnails Trade your Dodge for a Volkswagen Truck?-volkswagen-routan-10.jpg  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by TNtech View Post
Best VW EVAAAR ! (;

Nice rebadged Chrysler

Old 03-06-2014, 01:38 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by gary-l View Post
nice rebadged chrysler

daaaaam !!

Old 03-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Gary-L
Legend

daaaaam !!

Just telling it like it is.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:07 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

I wouldnt trade my old broken push mower for that ugly *** wannabe truck.

Walmart is the top selling retailer in the US..does that make their stuff the best too? More Great Value brand crap is sold around the US than any other brand...does that make it superior?

Old 03-07-2014, 05:18 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by BadStratRT View Post

Walmart is the top selling retailer in the US..does that make their stuff the best too? More Great Value brand crap is sold around the US than any other brand...does that make it superior?

Sam's has the bestest bag of frozen meatballs. Man those things are good in BBque sauce in a crockpot.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:23 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator

Sam's has the bestest bag of frozen meatballs. Man those things are good in BBque sauce in a crockpot.
No kidding. Those things are great for parties. I thaw them in a big pot to get some of the excess water off of them and then i throw them into the crock pot with some Sweet Baby Ray's, some A1, some Jim Beam and a touch of hot sauce...people tear through them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trade your Dodge for a Volkswagen Truck?

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: