Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Trade your Dodge for a Volkswagen Truck?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Trade your Dodge for a Volkswagen Truck?

Old 03-05-2014, 01:31 PM
AutoAnything
Former Vendor
Default Trade your Dodge for a Volkswagen Truck?

Would you trade your Dodge for a Volkswagen Truck?

We want to hear your thoughts!

Image Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/05/v...ay-come-to-us/

Tom
AutoAnything

Attached Thumbnails Trade your Dodge for a Volkswagen Truck?-mzizuab.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator

No. That is not a "truck". It's a unibody Ridgeline clone. If they put a diesel in it, there may be a small market for it. I'm sure it will come nowhere near the new Colorado in hauling/towing.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
No. That is not a "truck". It's a unibody Ridgeline clone. If they put a diesel in it, there may be a small market for it. I'm sure it will come nowhere near the new Colorado in hauling/towing.

It does come with a diesel.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:09 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

120 odd horsepower, 300 ft/lbs in the bi-turbo flavor. Cargo capacity of just over 2600 pounds as well. Not too bad really...... but, no two speed transfer case.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Marlin

VW/Audi is one of the most unreliable makers out there, no way I would buy a truck from them.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
VW/Audi is one of the most unreliable makers out there, no way I would buy a truck from them.
Is that why Volkswagen is poised to be the #1 auto manufacturer in the world?

Old 03-06-2014, 08:59 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by Gary-L View Post
Is that why Volkswagen is poised to be the #1 auto manufacturer in the world?
Poised to be the biggest automaker in terms of volume in the world.....just because you make a lot of things does not necessarily mean you are making the best.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Poised to be the biggest automaker in terms of volume in the world.....just because you make a lot of things does not necessarily mean you are making the best.
Your statement has merit; however, the percentage of vehicles VW manufactures with poor reliability pales in comparison to the rest of the lineup. Were that not the case, then Volkswagen would not be profitable enough to expand into other markets and thereby increase volume.

The other factor in VWs favor is that VW has accomplished what almost every manufacturer has worked toward, for decades, which is a single platform shared by a majority of models it produces.

Back to the unreliability statement -- if the vehicle was built in Germany (ie the Golf, New Beetle, or Jetta models) and imported to the US, reliability was not an issue; however, back when the New Beetle came out (circa 1998) the New Beetle and other models built in the Puebla plant had horrid reliability problems. Vehicles produced were so bad (for about four or five years) that dealers in the US would refuse vehicle deliveries if the cars on the truck originated from the Puebla plant. VW officials in Germany had had enough and ordered the plant shut down for 30 days and required every single employee to re-train and requalify for his position. Quality of the products produced increased dramatically (as expected).

Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Agreed. I had a 64 bug when I was in college in the 80's. I drove the livin **** out of that thing, took it offroading, etc. I could not kill it. I hated it though cause of that dang 6 volt electrical system. At my part time job we had an 83 Rabbit diesel that we used for deliveries. I could usually get out and run faster than that thing when taking off from a stop...lol, but, it would never die either, no matter how hard us college kids tried.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Agreed. I had a 64 bug when I was in college in the 80's. I drove the livin **** out of that thing, took it offroading, etc. I could not kill it. I hated it though cause of that dang 6 volt electrical system. At my part time job we had an 83 Rabbit diesel that we used for deliveries. I could usually get out and run faster than that thing when taking off from a stop...lol, but, it would never die either, no matter how hard us college kids tried.

A friend of mine picked up a diesel Rabbit pickup that had under 70K miles and a 4-speed transmission (about 6 years ago). It was a complete dog in first and second, but once it went into third that thing took off like a raped ape.

The newer turbo diesel injection setup is in almost every vehicle of VWs lineup and will plant both driver and passenger firmly in their seats from the word "GO".

The Amarok is an interesting truck, but only in the smaller truck segment.

And, like I said, it can be equipped with a diesel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trade your Dodge for a Volkswagen Truck?

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: