Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Arduino or low cost OBD1 scanners?

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Arduino or low cost OBD1 scanners?

Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM
niceoldram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arduino or low cost OBD1 scanners?

Hi, not sure where to ask this but I wanted to make the request as widely general as possible, so apologies to the mods for posting here.

I would like to get an OBD1 scanner that does live codes and does not cost an arm and a leg.

Anyone have links to a low cost commercial scanner for OBD1 Dodge/Chrysler vehicles? It seems nuts that I could get an OBD2 scanner for under $80 but an OBD1 starts at $300.

If not, I have been programming professionally for 40+ years but electronic hardware is not my forte. I am well versed in programming the Arduino range of micro-controllers and would like to join forces with someone who can handle the electronics side.

Let's make an Open Source OBD1 scanner that can be built for $25 and put it all on github for anyone to use.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:02 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

There is various software packages available for OBDI, and with the right cable, you can talk to the PCM. The "if" there, is the "mask" file, that tells the software what everything in that data stream means... and for the Chrysler products, those are difficult, if not impossible, to find. Your best bet might be looking for something like a Snap-On MT2500 on ebay.... yeah, they run north of 300 bucks with all the cartridges, but, they will do quite a bit as well.

Might check out Craig Motes site too. He deals with mostly GM stuff, don't know if he has mask files for the chrysler or not.....

Old 07-10-2019, 03:31 PM
niceoldram

Thanks, I think what you are referring to is the transmission protocol and that is not all that hard to figure out if I have the data stream flowing. I can force a code error by disconnecting the throttle position sensor and then read the stream. From there it is a fairly simple matter to decode digital stream knowing that error (code 4.27, or whatever) then write code for all other engine codes. It's just software.

But, I am reluctant to hook a 'scope to my truck connector until I understand what those 3 connectors do. I believe I need to short one connetor to another to start the data flow and for that, I first need a hardware guy.

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Might check out Craig Motes site too.
Do you have a link? I tried several search engines and while they returned lots of close results, none involved OBD scanning.

ETO: OK, found it, it's Moats, but he appears to be selling stuff.

Last edited by niceoldram; 07-10-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: No link needed
Old 07-10-2019, 03:54 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

These guys. I don't see chrysler listed anywhere though... GM, Ford, Honda, and Nissan......

Old 07-10-2019, 06:57 PM
niceoldram

Thanks, no Dodge that I can find either. But, I am more interested in building one as the prices for OBD1 are just greedy nonsense.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:27 AM
Moparite
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it have to be a commercial scanner? There are blue tooth readers you can use your cell phone to read live data. At least there is for OBD2 i would imagine someone makes one.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 AM
ol' grouch
Amateur

Originally Posted by niceoldram View Post
Hi, not sure where to ask this but I wanted to make the request as widely general as possible, so apologies to the mods for posting here.

I would like to get an OBD1 scanner that does live codes and does not cost an arm and a leg.

Anyone have links to a low cost commercial scanner for OBD1 Dodge/Chrysler vehicles? It seems nuts that I could get an OBD2 scanner for under $80 but an OBD1 starts at $300.

If not, I have been programming professionally for 40+ years but electronic hardware is not my forte. I am well versed in programming the Arduino range of micro-controllers and would like to join forces with someone who can handle the electronics side.

Let's make an Open Source OBD1 scanner that can be built for $25 and put it all on github for anyone to use.

The OBD I is built into the vehicles. Do not start the car or bump the starter. Turn the key on, off, on, off, on and leave it on the third time. Your check engine light will start flashing out codes. Code 12 means the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 to 100 starts. 55 means end of session. Any codes will be in between those. If for instance, the CEL flashes 3 times, then 2 times, that is code 32. A good repair manual will give a list of trouble codes. If you're using a Haynes manual, they will be in section 6 for emissions. This is one of the reasons I liked the older Mopars. With the advent of computers in the late 80's, they all have that feature. Even with an OBD II vehicle from '96 up, you can still check it with the key. The odometer will show the code instead of flashing.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 AM
Moparite
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the key dance, I think he is looking for live data not codes.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Arduino or low cost OBD1 scanners?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: