Dodge Truck - Page 2 - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Dodge Truck

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Dodge Truck

Old 01-29-2006, 05:45 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Default RE: Dodge Truck "Night Runner" Package

ORIGINAL: QuickSilver05

Oh boy oh boy! Another sticker package! Yay!
It's not just a sticker package... [&:]

Let's say you bought a Durango HEMI Night Runner... It would include...

Brilliant Black grille surround
Brilliant Black bumpers
Black headlamp surrounds
Exterior Night Runner decal
Gloss Black interior pull handles
Black center stack bezel overlay
Gloss Black instrument cluster rings
Black Chrome wheels
Unique head restraints with Night Runner logo
New cluster overlay with Night Runner logo

So it isn't much, but definately a cool package...

ORIGINAL: SinCity R/T

With the lethargic 4.7L V8 in the Dakota, I hightly doubt that. Only when DC pulls their heads out of their butts and puts the Hemi in the Dakota will anyone even remotely think that the Gen IV Dakota has anything resembling performance under the hood.
I really don't see why people keep complaining about the truck with the biggest engine of all small/mid-size trucks... Besides, I don't think "clean_sx" was speaking of a Dakota...

Old 01-29-2006, 03:25 PM
SinCity R/T
Veteran

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon
I really don't see why people keep complaining about the truck with the biggest engine of all small/mid-size trucks... Besides, I don't think "clean_sx" was speaking of a Dakota...
BIGGER doesn't always mean BETTER.

Dodge 3.7L V6: 210hp, 235tq, ~4300-4400lbs vehicle, 16mpg
Dodge 4.7L V8: 235hp, 290tq, ~4300-4400lbs vehicle, 15mpg
Dodge HO 4.7L V8: 260hp, 310tq, ~4300-4400lbs vehicle, 14mpg

Toyota 4.0L V6: 236hp, 266tq, ~3480-3700lbs vehicle, 18/22mpg
Nissan 4.0L V6: 265hp, 284tq, ~3675-4139lbs vehicle, 17/21mpg

Why would Nissan or Toyota need to put a V8 in their truck when their V6 trucks have MORE horsepower, LESS weight, and BETTER fuel economy?

Am I the only person who has noticed that every single magazine review of mid-sized trucks has bashed the Dodge Dakota for feeling lethargic, underpowered, "this is a V8?", etc? Is anyone else completely unimpressed that the 4.7L V8 is only -25hp- more than the 3.7L V6? This engine was a massive step in the wrong direction from the old 250hp/345tq 5.9L V8.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:18 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

The nightrunners are very impressive. It's about time Dodge has given some info out about them.

-Matt-

Old 01-30-2006, 02:16 AM
QuickSilver05
Veteran

Those V-6s may have a slight edge on HP, but they fall short in the torque department, and that's what you need most in a truck. I agree, the Dak has the largest towing and hauling capacities of any truck in it's class, and has more grunt. What's not to like?

Old 01-30-2006, 02:27 AM
SinCity R/T
Veteran

Those V-6s may have a slight edge on HP, but they fall short in the torque department, and that's what you need most in a truck. I agree, the Dak has the largest towing and hauling capacities of any truck in it's class, and has more grunt. What's not to like?
Dodge 4.7L V8: 235hp, 290tq, ~4300-4400lbs vehicle, 15mpg
Nissan 4.0L V6: 265hp, 284tq, ~3675-4139lbs vehicle, 17/21mpg

Let me get this straight - you think that giving up 30hp to buy a truck which weighs 700 pounds more and gets 2+ mpg less just so you can have 6 more torque is the right thing to do? You're as brainwashed over this "Only V8 in its class" mantra as the Daimler-Chrysler marketing idiots I constantly bump into at SEMA/etc.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:16 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator

I don't think he brain washed and neither am I...

This sums it up right here... I agree... more torque=good...

We aren't talking about it being "bigger". we are saying it out tows and hauls all the others... using the torque from the V8...

The Dak is also a more heavier/beefier truck...

Old 01-30-2006, 05:39 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Well since I've owned two Dak's....and neither of you have....unlike SinCity.....I'm going to agree with him. I've driven the Toyotas....and while the interior is really crap....they are comparable to the Dakota's in many ways. They have plenty of power under the hood...and they can perform quite well in the hauling bit. Also, NOT everyone and their damn mothers is going to be hauling an 8000lb boat with their truck....

Most people are only going to throw some crap in the back like drywall or dirt and use it for daily stuff....not pulling boats or 6500lb objects. I know I pulled two things with my truck in 18 months of having it....but I threw a bunch of dirt and drywall in the bed....and while my Dakota hauled more in the bed then a Tacoma would.....it wasnt such a large number that I was doing backflips over...

I loved my Dakotas and it's one of the few trucks I would willingly buy, but the current model is sorely lacking and its starting to look and feel more like a fullsize each time I see one or drive one....the only positive about the Dakota is its built like a fullsize truck...but the fact is...it outweighs most trucks in its class by a good 5-800lbs.....

The Tacoma's are a good truck despite the interior. I'll tell you this much.....the current Tacoma X-Runner would in fact be my next truck if I bought one...because the looks are good, and the driving is just as good.

I owned a 3.9L V6 and a 4.7L V8 Dak.....and let me tell you something....the V6 sucked for acceleration and power....and the V8 was a great truck...and I test drove an 05 Dak....and I was disappointed...it felt slower then my 01 Dak......

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

I don't think he brain washed and neither am I...

This sums it up right here... I agree... more torque=good...

We aren't talking about it being "bigger". we are saying it out tows and hauls all the others... using the torque from the V8...

The Dak is also a more heavier/beefier truck...

This is gonna sound bad Chase....but you sound like a Mustang GT driver talking about an SRT-4 right there......because bigger doesnt always mean better....nor does it always mean you should be able to do this or do that.... I mean look at the stats on an SRT-4 and then compare it to the GT.....the GT should be walking the SRT-4....but it doesnt.....and the same applies here....

The bottom line that I think most of you are missing....is that the V8 in the Dakota is underpowered for being a V8....there isnt any reason a V6 engined truck should be performing at a similar level to our V8's....in fact....if you look at the H.O. 4.7L V8....the numbers are insulting...would it have killed them to produce maybe a 280hp engine?

2006 Tacoma

4.0-liter DOHC EFI V6 with VVT-i
236 hp @ 5200 rpm
266 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm

2006 Dakota

4.7-liter Magnum® V8 engine produces 230 horsepower at 4,400 RPM and 290 pounds-feet of torque at 3,600 RPM.
4.7-liter V8 high-output engine makes 260 horsepower at 5,200 RPM and 310 pounds-feet of torque at 3,500 RPM

How is a V8 only producing a whopping 24 more hp at the same RPMs??? And yeah torque's all the latest rage....but really 44ftlbs is not that huge a gap....and the Tacoma comes with a 4.10 gearing standard on the 4x4....

And honestly, if you really, really needed to haul alot of crap....why in the f*** would you buy a midsize truck that's almost as heavy as a fullsize truck and gets the same frikkin gas mileage as a fullsize? I got my Dakotas because I liked the size and I liked the look....and they did what I needed them to do......but if I had done my homework and could have bought an X-Runner...I would have...

It's time for the Dakota to get the Hemi...

Old 01-30-2006, 02:52 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

DevilsReject is providing a strong arguemebnt and I agree that the Tacoma is the obvious better choice compared to the V8 Dakota.

-Matt-

Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

I went back and forth on the Tocoma Vs. Dakota. I found owners complaned alot about the Tocama gas milage in real life it's less then 13 mpg and that 92 octane. And I haven't read a Mag yet thats liked the frame on the Tocoma when it come's to haling and towing. Plus the Tocoma has a plastic bed WTF.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:56 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: 2coff

I went back and forth on the Tocoma Vs. Dakota. I found owners complaned alot about the Tocama gas milage in real life it's less then 13 mpg and that 92 octane. And I haven't read a Mag yet thats liked the frame on the Tocoma when it come's to haling and towing. Plus the Tocoma has a plastic bed WTF.
Lots of people grumbling about the mpg's on the Daks too...and how you drive and take care of your vehicle will directly affect it.....and if you base your opinions on magazine's.....well...sorry...but that's just stupid...and i would like to think you dont

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Truck

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: