Go Back  DodgeForum.com > The DF Lounge > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Eat Less, Drive More.......

Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Eat Less, Drive More.......

Old 10-25-2006, 06:24 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eat Less, Drive More.......

CHICAGO — Want to spend less at the gasoline pump? Lose some weight.
That's the implication of a study that says Americans are burning nearly 1 billion more gallons of gasoline each year than they did in 1960 because of their expanding waistlines. Simply put, more weight in the car means lower gas mileage.

Using recent gas prices of $2.20 a gallon, that translates to about $2.2 billion more spent on gas each year.

"The bottom line is that our hunger for food and our hunger for oil are not independent. There is a relationship between the two," says University of Illinois researcher Sheldon Jacobson, a co-author of the study.

"If a person reduces the weight in their car, either by removing excess baggage, carrying around less weight in their trunk, or yes, even losing weight, they will indeed see a drop in their fuel consumption."

Other experts say even if the calculation isn't exact, the study makes sense.

"If you put more weight into your car, you're going to get fewer miles per gallon," Emory University health care analyst Kenneth Thorpe said Wednesday.

The same effect has been seen in airplanes. Research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that heavy fliers have contributed to higher fuel costs for airlines.

The obesity rate among U.S. adults doubled from 1987 to 2003, from about 15% to more than 30%. Also, the average weight for American men was 191 pounds in 2002 and 164 pounds for women, about 25 pounds heavier than in 1960, government figures show.

The study's conclusions are based on those weight figures and Americans' 2003 driving habits, involving roughly 223 million cars and light trucks.

It will appear in the October-December issue of The Engineering Economist, a peer-reviewed journal published by the American Society of Engineering Education and the Institute of Industrial Engineers.

Jacobson, an industrial engineer, conducted the research with Laura McLay, a doctoral student in his Champaign-Urbana lab who now works at Virginia Commonwealth University.

They estimated that more than 39 million gallons of fuel are used each year for every additional pound of passenger weight.

The amount of extra fuel consumption blamed on weight gain since 1960 — 938 million gallons — would fill almost 2 million cars with gas for an entire year. However, that is only 0.7% of the total amount of fuel consumed by U.S. passenger vehicles each year, Jacobson says.

The estimates "are probably pretty reliable," says Larry Chavis, an economist at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. "I don't know if it's going to encourage anybody to go out and lose weight to save gasoline, but even for individual families, it could have an effect on their budget."

Dr. Jeffrey Koplan, former CDC director and chairman of an Institute of Medicine report on obesity, says the findings are almost beside the point.

"The wrong fuel is being focused on," says Koplan, now at Emory University. "If you're heavier, the most important fuel you use more of is food."

Eating less, driving less and choosing more active means of transportation would reduce gas consumption, and also help reverse rising obesity rates, he says.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Minion
Professional
Default RE: Eat Less, Drive More.......

no offence but me losing 30 lbs won't mean better gas milage.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:10 AM
dubvipers
Record Breaker

what if im already underweight?

I've been like this for a year or two, 115 lb for 5'7"

Old 10-26-2006, 04:53 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

haha, Im 130 and im 5'8. Im STILL under weight.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:15 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

Uh huh. I get what their trying to say, but, like most everything else these people come up with, its works only on paper.
Lugging around an extra 30 pounds in most cars/trucks will not have a noticleable effect on fuel economy. Now, if you have 4 friends the size of large cows, yes, that will effect enough to notice.
So, according to these people, when doing mileage statistics, do we now need to carry a scale with us, so we can record our weight at the pump?
I'm about 6' 3" and weigh (around) 155. I ain't losing any weight (and according to the last few years, I won't be gaining any either).

I wish I could get government funding to "research" these things. I would do a study that would find that if everyone would skip just 2 meals per year, we would no longer have to depend on foreign oil. (Because, of course, the gas used in the manufacture, delivery, cooking, etc. of the food is so great...) Of course, I would use "fuzzy math," and never actual show people how I got to those conclusions.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:06 PM
QuelleVoiture

ORIGINAL: dodgerules86

Uh huh. I get what their trying to say, but, like most everything else these people come up with, its works only on paper.
Lugging around an extra 30 pounds in most cars/trucks will not have a noticleable effect on fuel economy. Now, if you have 4 friends the size of large cows, yes, that will effect enough to notice.
What about Geo Metros one sees that hauls around 4 fat cows of women looking for guys?
And the car with its 3 cylinders still trucks along? I have respect for the Geo metro.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eat Less, Drive More.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: