PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Interesting Lack of Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:25 PM
Dodgeliterate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Lack of Fuel Problem

I have an '88 Dodge D150 pickup with a 318 that is about to drive me to drinking! The one thing that I like, and at the same time, dislike, is the TBI it's got.
Ok, here's the history. This truck was a gift from my grandfather. At the time he gave it to me it was bogging out when ever I gave it gas. It idled like a champ, but the minute I gave it, it bogged and farted. I replaced all the sensors except the O2. I tested the O2 by removing it and reinstalling it. When I removed it, I got the classic symptoms. Put it back and it was ok. I then replaced the fuel filter and pressure regulator. It didn't work, so I had it put on the OBD tool by an old man with a well known shop. He told me that the computer was bad. I said, "This old man is getting too old!" Because I knew the computer was not bad, I didn't follow his advice. I got desparate and cut out the Cat. Converter. That gave it power, but didn't resolve the problem. Well, after several head aches, I replaced the fuel pump. That was it!!! I ran perfect. It had power and ran smooooth! Until about a month ago! While running at highway speeds it started to misfire, but only on occation. It did that for a couple of weeks until one day it died in the bank drive thru. I had to push it out because it would crank but wouldn't start. I removed the gas cap thinking it vapor locked, but that didn't work. We, to make a long story short, after sitting for awhile, it started right up. I drove it for awhile after that with no problems. Slowly but surely, the problem got worse. Now, when the weather is hot, it won't start. When it's cool it will start, but when I drive it for about 10 - 15 minutes, it dies and it won't start. It won't start until the truck cools down and the weather is cool. Any ideas??? Help!!! []

Quick Reply: Interesting Lack of Fuel Problem