DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing Talk (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/racing-talk-130/)
-   -   drag race (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/racing-talk/124307-drag-race.html)

clive 09-12-2007 03:06 PM

drag race

tacking my baby drag racing next week end any tips?. or just turn thr over drive off put it in drive and nail it!!!!!. to do a burn out shoul i have it in drive or first or second

[IMG]local://upfiles/37514/E15A694EFDEF470389C450723BBD1430.jpg[/IMG]

OlsenG_360 09-12-2007 04:15 PM

RE: drag race

2nd gear for the burnout, leaving it in first kills the transmission bands i've heard...probably don't need much of a burnout though unless you'reusing slicks or drag radials, just a quick spin to get the rocks & crud off your tires

O/D off, shifter in drive for the run.

raise your front tire pressure to the max recommendation, lower the rear pressure some to help with traction. make sure you leave your a/c off until the ride home, dripping on the track is the quickest way to get kicked out for the day. that goes the same for coolant, oil, trans, differentials, etc...

clive 09-12-2007 05:12 PM

thanks for that. my a/c seems to drip even when im not using it when, i turn the engine off. i live in the uk and the event i will be going tois held quite alot here. Its called run what you brung.!! just turn up get in line and go for it!. its a good laugh.

IndyRamMan 09-12-2007 05:48 PM

Make sure a/c is off...also radio, for better concentration. Try to go arround the water burnout box if possible, if not, do a real quick burnout just to get the water off your tires. They are radial tires and will hurt your take off when you do a small burnout, unless you absolutely roast it to the point where the rubber melts and chunks off the tires (i made the mistake of doing that the last time i was at the track). Try to stage shallow, meaning when the second staging light comes on, stop immediately. Hold the brake and rev to about 1500, and then when the tree gets to the third yellow, GO. If you have traction issues with a full throttle start, ease into it. I usuially do an 1/8th throttle start for a millisecond and then go WOT. Manually shift the truck with overdrive off. Try to shift at 5k, so that it shifts by about 5200. and DONT let off till after your through the traps.

clive 09-12-2007 06:15 PM

my trucks an auto so i can only select first or second or drive. thank for the advive tho will let you know how i get on. got some new performanceplug leads , coil and distributer cap to go on first. hope it helps

aim4squirrels 09-12-2007 09:52 PM

Yes, but you only have 3 gears without the OD so you can shift 1st, 2nd, then Driveto hold the shift off high into the RPMs

OlsenG_360 09-12-2007 11:44 PM

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

Yes, but you only have 3 gears without the OD so you can shift 1st, 2nd, then Driveto hold the shift off high into the RPMs
i'd go this route if i had a floor/ratchet shifter with reverse lockoutin my truck. but trying to manually shift on the column in the excitement of racing can easily put you into reverse (guess how i figured that out)

IndyRamMan 09-13-2007 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: OlsenG_360

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

i'd go this route if i had a floor/ratchet shifter with reverse lockoutin my truck. but trying to manually shift on the column in the excitement of racing can easily put you into reverse (guess how i figured that out)
i did that the first time i tried it and then came up with a solution that hasent failed me since. Prop your right elbo on the bench top (put it down of course) and just pop each gear. Try it and youll see how well it works. Depending on how long your arms are i guess. I have long arms so I can reach the column while my elbo is on the bench top. Though Iv gotten pritty good with manually shifting so that now i just prop my wrist against the wheel and use that as leverage.

clive 09-13-2007 02:06 PM

thanks i didnt know you could do that i will give it a go. been used to a mauual. im great full for any tips and help. living in the uk not many people are able to help .been trying to up the hp and porformace but shipping and import tax is costly!!.