Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Went to the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:44 AM
lugnuts
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to the track

Badstrat asked me if I'd ever had my truck on the track. NowIhave had the engine on the track, same motor, different combination, different truck. 12.91 @ 107.Won a few rounds over the years, kinda mademe miss it, so I went. 5yrs ago this truck was reasonably quick with the old combo[FOR THIS TRUCK],but the one time I went with the truck running it's best I bent/broke a few parts on the 1st pass. Bought this house,wife crashed my '83, needed a truck to work around here with. So the combo had to change. [Ever go to the dump ground in a lime green/black hotrod?]

The current setup is Comp cam, [suckyFord grind, I change cams like most people change their shorts] .488/.491 276 dur. [cant find the cam card,.050 # ?] less valve spring, Edelbrock RPM, vac sec 750 Holley w/76s frnt,80s back, 1 7/8' headers, still got the 3000 stall. 452 heads w/ minor cleanup/ stock valves. Added A/C while I was poking around under the hood. . When the 9' frog let go,I was forunate enough to find an 8 3/4 under a boneyard truck, but it's a 3.23 pegleg chunk. Haven't changed the plugs in 3yrs. Checked the timing and went. No jetting, sec. spring changes etc. Still has the bent left rear spring,stock shackle on left, 2' drop shackle on right.

Went on bald 31.5-10.5/15 radials,track was slick and dusty,and no amount of trying to come out easy helped the 60' times. Tried no burnout,light burnout,and smoke show. Air pressures 20-40 psi. The pegleg just woudn't hook. Half throttle in 1st,roll the throttle in second,still broke loose.
The best I could muster was a 2.78 60', spin horribly in second , 14.91@ 101.7. Shifting @ 5700. Embarrasing as hell,but there it is. Still had a blast. Sub 2 sec 60' should be in the low/mid 13s

The old[FOR THIS TRUCK]MP .590 solid cam,MP single plane,850dpW/ spooled 4.88s,[a little too steep but they were free]30/13.5 ET Street combo was considerably stouter. Guesstimate mid 12s shifting @ 6700. Had about 1600 bucks total in the motor when I built it,had some of the stuff laying around.

btw what heads on on your Mirada?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:12 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Went to the track

12.91 in a first gen ram? thats awesome. id really really like to make a project racer ramcharger at some point...i think that your truck is awesome...

the heads that the mirada has right now are stock heads from a 1988 360...1.88/1.60, 528 purple shaft.

i would think that your truck weighs quite a bit more than the mirada (3690ish track weight), as amandas 94 ram was 4451 with her in it...

Old 03-18-2008, 11:28 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

12.91 is deffenetly respectable good run

Old 03-18-2008, 08:32 PM
lugnuts
All Star

Ol blue is now reincarnated as a 3/4 ton, headache rack,tool boxand all,you'd never guess it's 12.90 days. I think the bent springs on Greeny has the right rear unloaded. Never had that severe of a traction problem with ol blue when it had the stock pegleg rear. 2.78s/14.90s suck. I have an A-body 8 3/4 waiting to go under it. It measures 57' overall compared to 64' for the pickup rear. Will tuck the ETs up under the fenders. Haven't decided what susp. to put under it yet, but the leafs are history. Probably an Alston 32' ladder bar setup, it's not mean enough to warrant a 4 link. The 440 is due a going over, zero deck this time,lighter rods,and maybe some of Eddy's RPM heads,do a little scratchin' around in the ports, and as muchsolid roller as the Eddy's will take with a 1.6 rocker.Would love a stroker,but can't afford the heads to feed one.

Strat, 12.30s/40s from a stockheaded small block is cookin @ 3600lb It's all mtr? What rear susp. are you running? Would really like to hear more about your combo.I read your reply in another post about the 60' etc. Ol blue would cut 1.60ish 60' with the 4.88s, [1.63 best.67-8 mostly]but only went 90s. 4.56s might have been a little quicker to the other end,the4.88shad it sucking wind by the 1000'.But damn what a hoot on the street. BTW Greeny weighs 4060 with my 220 lb buttocks in it. The A/Cwill behistory, along with any thing else I can **** can.

Sorry if the orig post doesn't make much sense, the wife's overheated fleabag of a cat woke me up @ 2 am howling. Was half asleep. Looked at it after the coffee kicked and thought 'What the hell!?' Don't tell the wife but I'm gonna kill that sonofabitchin' cat.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:14 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

yessir, all motor. i considered going with a zex 55-75 kit a few years back, but i did not. those 12.30s/40s were towards the end of the season, so it was cooler, perhaps in the 50s, but it was at 1300 feet...earlier in the season, in the heat of a summer day, i was running 60s and 70s, with some richness issues, which were also fixed prior to getting into the 40s.

my rear suspension is a set of the cheapest 7 leaf springs i could find, adiff. snubber. i believe that it has monroe shocks, but nothing special. in the front, the sway bar is gone, but thats about it..no 80/20s or anything...it really launches hard.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:43 AM
lugnuts
All Star

What stall converter,intake? Gimme details unless it's a matter of national security.440-6 says they have a 1st gen in themid 12s with a 380 crate mtr. You small block guys are plumb disgustin'. Might build me one. Gimme the lowdown.
The 12.90s .509 hyd. combo I had in blue would lay down. Didn't have a windage tray,thinking the oil was aerating. Had a Holley blue pump at 7psi,1/2' fuel line etc.but would just cease to pull. Would go 6700with ease 1st/2nd,pulling hard,go through the traps at about 6000 sucking wind.Aeration sound right to you?Bottom end isold school,loose side of factory spec,[which also cancontribute toaeration I found out later] 20-50 Valvoline.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

the intake is an edelbrock airgap...flowtech 1 5/8 headers, through flowmaster 40s. the carb is a barry grant 750dp, but with a proform center section, advertising 800cfm. the heads were not completely stock, they were ported and matched to the intake, and im running a 1.5 roller setup over the 528 cam. 3500 stall, manual valve body, 4.56 gears. it went 12.60s with 4.10 gears.

the motor was built in 1995...it has seen over 1300 track passes and around 25,000 street miles..hard street miles...and last spring it finally let down, spinning a bearing on #5. the car coasted through with a 13.00...no block or head damage, but the crank is bad. luckily, i have a new crank and rodslaying around, and a set of trw aluminum pistons...and it might end up being closer to 380cu when its done...but that is once the demon is completed.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 PM
lugnuts
All Star

My mtr was screwed together in '97. In hindsight I wouldhave done things a little different. Oil press is down 10 psi hot at idle from what it used to be. [Now35 psi,still runs at 65]It's been raced,driven 70 mi rt to work for a couple yrs, hauled lumber trash etc. went on vacation with it twice with a gear swap. It's a steel crank, 6 pack rod forged piston bottom end that's never been apart since '97. Been in the family since '77. Came out of Dad's '74 3/4 ton. '73 block. Unfortunately, it got some water in #4 cyl during storage, took a .060 cut to clean it up. If the bores are worn [Pretty sure they are] it'll be dressed in chrome and have a place of honor in the corner of the shop. That ol motor bitch slapped many a Ford an 'Chevy pickup when Dad had it. Don't care what he's driving, at 78 he'll still race you at the drop of a hat. Motors kind of a family heirloom. I actually should retire it before it self disassembles. Got another block, 575-600 hp would be alot of fun.

Mopar made some damn tough drivetrains.

Quick Reply: Went to the track