DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing Talk (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/racing-talk-130/)
-   -   Kahne is Rookie of the Year! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/racing-talk/13604-kahne-is-rookie-of-the-year.html)

redriderbob 11-24-2004 03:40 PM

Kahne is Rookie of the Year!

http://i.a.cnn.net/nascar/2004/news/...p/kahne_xl.jpg

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Kasey Kahne, who narrowly missed out on his first victory five times this season, was selected NASCAR's Nextel Cup Rookie of the Year on Tuesday.

Kyle Busch, younger brother of Nextel Cup champion Kurt Busch, was the top rookie in the Busch Series. David Reutimann earned top honors in the Truck Series.

Kahne, 24, is the youngest rookie winner in NASCAR's top series since Jeff Gordon won it as a 22-year-old in 1993. Kahne finished the 2004 season with 13 top-five and 14 top-10 finishes in 36 starts, and was the highest scoring rookie in 19 events. He beat Brendan Gaughan by 120 points for top rookie honors.

While Kahne had several chances to make it into Victory Lane this season, he finished second five times. He was also the most dominant car in several races, most recently at Charlotte in October, only to have bad luck or an accident keep him from the winners' circle.

Kahne finished 13th in the final series points standings after he just missed out on a spot in NASCAR's 10-race championship series.

At 19, Busch is the youngest top rookie in series history. He finished second for the Busch Series championship to Martin Truex Jr. He led the series championship standings for three weeks, and tied Greg Biffle's rookie record of five series wins.

Reutimann clinched the Truck Series rookie award in the season-ending race at Homestead-Miami Speedway. He won the pole and finished fourth in the race to beat Tracy Hines for top rookie honors by 67 points.

Reutimann finished the season 14th in Truck Series points.

NASCAR.com

redriderbob

dustyloins 11-24-2004 10:21 PM

RE: Kahne is Rookie of the Year!

Yeah, I was watching the Sunday morning NASCAR shows and they all but admitted Kasey was going to win it.

I'm impressed with his driving skills at such a young age. Plus, he's got the temper to handle the stress...I predict good things for this guy.....

Vader 11-25-2004 11:58 AM

Well deserved, he is a great competitor.

Dodgegirl19 11-25-2004 12:10 PM

I 110% agree... good job Kasey!!

~Amanda

redriderbob 11-25-2004 03:38 PM

Now all Kasey needs is a NEXTEL Cup victory under his belt! Way to go to Tommy Baldwin and the crew to get Kasey a team which fights for the victory at the end of the day, every week!

redriderbob

LilMzRam 11-26-2004 03:34 AM

That is awesome! I'm so thrilled he made Rookie of the Year. He tried so hard to win every weekend, came so close so many times. And never once blew up at any other drivers, unlike some of the veterans. He always looks so calm, so concentrated. There couldn't have been a better choice for that award, IMO. :)

redriderbob 11-26-2004 01:21 PM

· Kasey Kahne won the 2004 Raybestos Rookie of the Year in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series. Kahne finished the 2004 season with four poles, 13 top-five and 14 top-10 finishes in 36 starts. He was the Raybestos Rookie of the Race in 19 events this season.

· Kahne finished 13th in the NEXTEL Cup Series championship standings, three points behind 12th-place Bobby Labonte and 46 better than 14th-place Kevin Harvick.

· Kahne officially captured Raybestos Rookie of the Year by 120 points (376-256) over Brendan Gaughan. He is the 48th winner of the award since the program began in 1957.

· The 24-year-old from Enumclaw, WA, became the youngest Raybestos Rookie of the Year since Jeff Gordon (22 years old - 1993). He started the season as a pure rookie, starting his first career NASCAR NEXTEL Cup race in the season opening Daytona 500.

· Kahne posted four Bud Poles and started on the front row eight times. He had 14 top-10 starts, including five top-fives in the first seven races.

· Kahne tied Ryan Newman (2002) for the rookie record for most second-place finishes (five).

· Kahne's best point position was fourth following Race No. 4 (Atlanta); his worst points position was 41st following the season opener at Daytona. Kahne was in the top-10 for seven races in the 2004 season.

jayski.com

redriderbob

redriderbob 11-26-2004 01:28 PM

Raybestos ROOKIE CONTENDER POINT STANDINGS:

1.) Kasey Kahne Dodge - Evernham Motorsports, 376pts
2.) Brendan Gaughan Dodge - Penske Racing South, 256pts
3.) Brian Vickers Chevrolet - Hendrick Motorsports, 255pts
4.) Scott Wimmer Dodge - Bill Davis Racing, 247pts
5.) Scott Riggs Chevrolet - MBV Motorsports, 237pts
6.) Johnny Sauter Chevrolet - Richard Childress Racing (fired, mid-way through the season), 155pts

Raybestos is a registered trademark licensed to Brake Parts Inc. by Raybestos Products Company

(from Raybestos / Camp and Assoc PR), edited by redriderbob

redriderbob