DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing Talk (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/racing-talk-130/)
-   -   RT vs Mach1? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/racing-talk/52535-rt-vs-mach1.html)

shoafb 03-19-2006 06:00 PM

RT vs Mach1?

Hey guys, my buddy just picked up a nice new 06 charger RT package. Since neither of us want to go race on the freeway...... which one is quicker. I haven't been able to find any specs on the RT. I think I could get him off the line but from a role might be a different story.

Any way, nice site you guys have here.

oh yea, my mach is all stock except for some welded in Borlas but I doubt that increased HP any.

Thanks.

baldyloxs 03-19-2006 06:26 PM

RE: RT vs Mach1?

even though the charger has about 40 to 50 more hp it out weighs the stang by abot 1000lbs our more.No prblem for the stang in the quater I think,but longer run look out i think it would be good.

daddy4count 03-20-2006 05:36 PM

I agree... 'stang will kick off the line, but in a long run (freeway) the gearing in the R/T would prevail.

MGDMike 03-20-2006 05:45 PM

In the 1/4 I'd go with your car... your buddies is a heavy son of a gun. Also I've heard Borlas on your ride somewhere and I think they sound the best.

atnyman 03-20-2006 10:54 PM

Hi, my first post just registered. Got rt charger r/t per group.
all stock, raced a '97 cobra last week. He has brand new motor from mustang magis 2000 miles on it . worked exhaust no cats headers 5 speed manuel ect.. I thuohgt he'd blow my doors off. I beat him from a rolling start about 5mhr. Al.

baldyloxs 03-21-2006 03:59 AM

sweet my girfriend raced on til they got up to about 90,and she said the stang got out of it probally cause she was eatng his lunch.(rolling start)My buddie had a stang he said it wasnt anything like the charger,cuase they got so much torque still at 120mph+ .I just threw him back in his seat at 120+ he was like omfg this thing is bad

Gomango#2968 03-21-2006 04:50 AM

I raced a 05 or 06 GT a few weeks ago from 50mph to about 120mph. I Pulled him by atleast 10 cars. When we got in town he rolled his window down and said wow that Daytona is fast. Gotta love that out of a 4100 lb car. :)

shoafb 03-21-2006 11:52 AM

Thanks guys,

From everything I've been able to find it looks like the Mach1 would fare well from a dead stop but from a role would be much more even unless we ran up to some ungodly speed and he would leave me. We won't be doing neither since we enjoy having a license to drive;)

I'll be seing my buddy next week and will get a good test drive then. It's not broken in yet so no full running up the tach but looks like the tourqe comes on low enough it should be fun.

Did you guys notice any improved performance after the initial 1500 miles? I read something about the breakin of the ECU/Tourqe management system for the 1st 1500 miles.

03neonRT 03-22-2006 03:24 AM

ORIGINAL: baldyloxs

even though the charger has about 40 to 50 more hp it out weighs the stang by abot 1000lbs our more.No prblem for the stang in the quater I think,but longer run look out i think it would be good.

Yeah the Stang would probaly get the jump in the 1/4 unless he had real traction issues...but the weight difference is more like 500lb, not 1000lb or more...

Mach 1 Curb Weight=3,600lb
Charger R/T Curb Weight=4,100lb

_______

500lb difference +/- a couple pounds...still trivial considering the Mach 1 would still win...but hey figure i'd point that one out! lol.

zx9rpilot 03-22-2006 11:07 AM

'06 Mustang GT owner here.....exhaust, intake, tuner, gears. Buddy has an 06 Daytona. Both of us are Auto. Service Managers...

I let him borrow the GT for a week while I was on vacation BEFORE any of the mods. His impression was half to a full second quicker 0-60 and rollings start was equal or better than the Daytona.

With the mods, I smoke him more than Cheech smokes hash!

musclecarneon 03-22-2006 04:58 PM

The Mustang will definetely smoke you on the 1/4 mile, but the charger's a faster car in the long run ... do a 1/2 or full mile and you'll drag the crap out of the 'stang.

shoafb 03-22-2006 10:38 PM

The Mustang will definetely smoke you on the 1/4 mile, but the charger's a faster car in the long run ... do a 1/2 or full mile and you'll drag the crap out of the 'stang.
[/quote]

Yea but the charger is governed off at 145 right? The mustang is 149 so what if we run 10 miles? :)

Dartman69 03-23-2006 01:07 AM

Hmmm...I'm forced to agree with the others on this one. The R/T would likely get trounced off the line, but the top end charge of the 5.7 would likely prevail if you guys raced further than a set of lights.

Incidentally, I raced a white Mach 1 with my SRT-8 the other night- completely annihilated it! What fun! :P

baldyloxs 03-23-2006 02:55 AM

thanks for clearing up the weight diff. it was estimated

Daytona RT 03-23-2006 03:06 AM

CAI.. TB.. Open exhaust Cat back.. Flashpaq. I'll take that 1/4 mile and stomp the stang.. 1/8 mile.. Couldn't do it..

74scamp 03-23-2006 02:02 PM

I think you're right, Daytona R/T. I know mine is a lot quicker/faster with the bolt-ons and the Flashpaq, now.

dave

shoafb 03-23-2006 02:38 PM

I'm talking strictly stock though guys.

You can go back and forth all day throwing mods on either car to make it faster.

Incidentally, I raced a white Mach 1 with my SRT-8 the other night- completely annihilated it! What fun! :P
Yea the SRT-8 would certainly be a handful at best to try and keep up with, but thats apples to oranges really 29k vs 38-40k car right? An 03 cobra would be a more fair comparison I think.

74scamp 03-23-2006 07:54 PM

Yeah, you're right. Add ons could be debated all day long. However, we're still kind of talking "apples to oranges" as someone else so aptly stated. It will be interesting to see how the new Challenger does against the Mustang. That's more of an apples to apples comparison. Still, I wouldn't back down from too many Mustangs with my Charger now, and its' not a Daytona.

dave

dodgebrothers 03-24-2006 12:01 AM

You know, throw another set of gears in that Charger and I'd wager on it in the 1/4. Gearing shed weight quick if you have the torque...and it does

Daytona RT 03-24-2006 03:01 AM

The point of the thread.. from a dodge perspective.. is the process of being competitive with a 4100 pound unit against the units far lighter and with much the same stock horse power.

The process of mods is to get the most out of the unit and for some of us.. the opportunities to be competitive with the imports.. the ponies and GM.. the restrictions and weight loads be damned.

I don't opologize to the readers that have to fairly cut through the alpha male testosterone to try and understand why I would chop a brand new stock exhaust out.. pay $900 for a new Borla.. or risk my warrantee.. and upgrade the programming through the purchase of a $300 Tuner.. Don't bother trying to understand why I spend so much modifying a brand new $35,000 Daytona RT.. I can make it easy for everyone interested...

Alpha Status ~!~.. More Raw Torque.. better competitive performance.. and most important.. to Geld the pony and BBQ the goat.. anymore questions.. just ask me.

74scamp 03-24-2006 10:24 AM

I'm right there with ya, Daytona! I'm almost 60 (next January), and this is my chance to have something I never had before - a Dodge (Chrysler) muscle car. I don't think the original Charger was compared to the Mustang (Cudas and Challengers were there for that); so why is everyone so anxious to compare this one to the Stang? I have a car that I'm very proud of, proud to drive, and proud when people stop me to look at it and ask questions; I've even had "Ricer" guys yell at me to "let 'er rip!" when stopped for stop lights :-). Of course, I don't do that - I don't need to! I know I can roast them.

I'm thinking about those exhaust cutouts that you have on your car, Daytona. I don't drive hard all the time - I don't have to. I know what my car will do and I don't need to prove it to anyone. Still, when the occasion arises to put the look of awe on someone's face, I'm not too shy about it :-).

Yep, I love my car and I don't really care if others don't or believe that their little GT can take me. Just line up with me, give us a clear road ahead, and lets GET IT ON!!!!

dave

shoafb 03-24-2006 11:35 AM

No modding for now. I don't want to loose my warranty and it kills the resale value. The car is fast enough for me and I'm not racing anyone anyway.

74scamp 03-24-2006 12:56 PM

shoafb, I hope you haven't taken offense at anything said here. None is/was intended. I used to frequent another board quite often until I started getting slammed by people who didn't like the new Charger cause it had 4 doors, etc. It's just that comparing the new Charger with the new Mustang is, as said, like comparing apples to oranges - I think you would agree.

Point being, we're having fun, and that's what really counts - no matter what a person might be driving. Whether its a 10 second car, or a 16 second car, if it's fun, that's all that counts.

dave

shoafb 03-24-2006 05:31 PM

No offence taken. I like both cars just fine. Some people need 4 doors, nothing wrong with that.

MACHXLR8 03-26-2006 02:43 PM

Not to break in to this post but 3600 lbs is the weight of a SVT Cobra. My MACH1 weighs 3465lbs. The difference comes from the IRS and the iron block in the Cobra. The MACH1 has an aluminum block and heads. It also has a solid axel with 3:55 gear.
Just giving some more insight to this thread.

300ZXSRT4 03-26-2006 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Gomango#2968

I raced a 05 or 06 GT a few weeks ago from 50mph to about 120mph. I Pulled him by atleast 10 cars. When we got in town he rolled his window down and said wow that Daytona is fast. Gotta love that out of a 4100 lb car. :)
10 car length's...???Whatever you say dude........I think he just hit the brakes and you kept going or it was a V6

baldyloxs 03-27-2006 06:18 AM

kewl guys thanks alot let us know how each machine does !