Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

saturns!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 01:00 AM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: saturns!!!

Alright, enough bashing my beloved Holden Monaro/Pontiac GTO... as for the Saturn drivers watch out... there is one Saturn I know of that would kick some butt on the street, lol...

Saturn Ion Bonneville Racer

Will parachutes become the next fashion trend, taking the place of Supra-sized rear wings and neon as the latest non-essential accessories? Only in the 200-mph club to which this Saturn Ion proudly belongs. Last month, this car set a land-speed record in the G/Blown Fuel Altered class by averaging 212.684 mph, besting the previous 183.086 record mph record set in 2001 by a Honda Civic. This multi-team engineering saw output on the production supercharged 2.2-liter/200-horsepower Ecotec engine soar. The salt-flat racer used an exhaust-driven turbocharger and burned methanol fuel to boost the Ecotec's output to 700 horsepower. As extreme as this sounds, the Ecotec engine produces more than 1100 horsepower in the front-drive Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire entries in the NHRA Summit Sport Compact drag racing series. The record-setting engine shares a surprising number of components with the production engine. To help enthusiasts with their horsepower pursuits, GM has just released the "Ecotec Engine Handbook" available through local dealerships.

MotorTrend.com

redriderbob

Old 06-02-2004, 01:09 AM
redriderbob
Banned

All serious-ness now. Saturn drives will be racing more up and down the streets as of now, because of the new Ion Redline...

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7370

redriderbob

Old 06-02-2004, 01:34 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, i know first hand...every panel on my RT has a little white tag, that says in red lettering "genuine mitsubishi parts"

as for the GTO, i simply dont like GM..or ford..mostly fords though. i dont know why they stopped making the firebird. taking that car and making it a gto, would be like dodge taking an omni, and dropping a huge engine in it,and calling it the 2005 cuda. but i do see your point. but then again...this is a dodge board, and my mouth has never writen a check that my car cant cash. )

and while i know better than to badmouth the new hemi on here, it Is a small block....so i know what you meant there too.but im just jealous because i dont have a hemi..however, my truck does have a 360 in it

Old 06-02-2004, 01:43 AM
redriderbob
Banned

Gotta love freedom of speech! lol.

redriderbob

Old 06-02-2004, 01:57 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

and the redline put out far worse numbers than originally expected...mid to high 14s i believe...

Old 06-02-2004, 05:10 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OFF TOPIC:
I have a problem with the bringing back of names that have meaning and history to them, just to slap on something that in no way resembles it's name sake. The only ones that have done it correctly are the latest version of the T-Bird and the upcomming Mustang and GT. These are heavily styled after the originals and are very deserving of their names. You could just glance at these cars and know exactly what they are, because they are true and faithful reproductions of the originals. If someone didn't even know that they made new versions of these classics, they would still instantly know what they are. It looks as though Ford is the only one that can seem to get it right, which I hate to say, but it's true. The Mustang and the T-Birds never went away for any real length of time and they always stayed true to their heritage, they never went 4 door or FWD.

The new GTO is at least somewhat faithful to the basic design of the original, RWD, 2 door and a V8. The new Hemi is a smallblock, but it has hemispherical heads, so it's somewhat faithful. The new 300 is also somewhat faithful as well, although I think it should have been styled after the originals. The new Charger, if it ever see the light of day, will be a steaming pile of poo. They will be the reverse of the wrongfully named 80's Chargers, the 80's Chargers were 2 door FWD and the new one will be 4 door RWD. Neither of these cars should have ever beared the Charger name. If you want to bring back a classic, then do it right like Ford did.....God how I hate to say that. But if they wish to continue the car line anew, then at least get the formula right, GM did at least that with the GTO.....God how I hate to say that.

Why can't DCX get off their collective a**es and at least see that everyone else is getting at least the formula right and that they aren't. I mean, how hard is this formula: 2 door + front mounted engine RWD + V8 (preferably a big block Hemi, but at least a Hemi) + style & muscle = Charger, Cuda, Roadrunner, Challenger, GTX, Super Bee, R/T, etc.

ON TOPIC:
The new Ion Redline has decent performance, but it should be a hard seller with better looking and performing options out there at the same price with better warranties. The only part I like about it is the RX8 style rear doors.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:07 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

good call 71..i agree 100%...

ve always said that eventually dodge is going to have to make a RWD pnoy car,. but with the drop of the camaro and firetird lines, im not so sure anymore. i just dont understand how they haventm gotten around to it. perhaps the venom concept, but stripped down to get it in the mustang Gt price range. the new hemi, the Strat RT interior, with the late 90s venom body.

Old 06-03-2004, 06:29 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, yes. The Venom concept car. Another great idea that went nowhere, just like the Razor. I would have bought a Razor if they would have made it, an SRT-4 with 2 doors, no rear seat, no carpet even and front engine RWD that's light as hell. It didn't look that great, but the Venom did.

[IMG]local://upfiles/193/Ge964532453.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2004, 03:05 PM
red91RT
Veteran

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT
.but im just jealous because i dont have a hemi...
We are brothers in arm then. [sm=smiley20.gif] In fact, I've even considered dropping my LT-1 into Jimmy project so that I can buy a used Hemi Ram in a couple years to replace it.

D@#$! Some fool had to bring up the Razor. That was MY car--in fact if it was coming there'd be no question about the solstice/SRT4 dilema.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:08 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

[/quote]

D@#$! Some fool had to bring up the Razor. That was MY car--in fact if it was coming there'd be no question about the solstice/SRT4 dilema.
[/quote]

The ouija board says "....buy the srt-4....or know the wrath of mother mopar...."
*weird sound* "ooooooooweeeeeeeooooooooo"
[sm=smiley2.gif]

Quick Reply: saturns!!!