Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
40.63%
No
50.00%
Doesn't matter...street racing>track racing
9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Does having a track help keep street racing to a minimum?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 11:03 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does having a track help keep street racing to a minimum?

I always wonder about this, mainly because in my eyes...if there's a facility that's open to the public to use for testing, bragging rights, or just a safe, controlled environment for racing to have fun and not worry about John Doe walking out in front of your car, then why not use it?

This brings up the fact that they just closed the tracks here in Oahu and the local politicians tried and succeeded in keeping away a new "World" facility....WHY? To me, it helps in keeping the streets "safer". I would rather tell someone to go to the tracks where it can't be refuted on who wins or loses, whether it be a straight line or a street course, as opposed to trying to find a stretch of potholed, populated, and uneven street.
So to the question...does it matter that there IS a track to run on? Does it help keep unnecessary street racing off the street? Does it even matter to you?Lol. Or is it all about convenience and opportunity?

Old 05-05-2006, 11:07 PM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker
Default RE: Does having a track help keep street racing to a minimum?

I'd rather race on a track. The ones near here always have open track, "run what you brung" events. I also like knowing that the racing I'm doing is legal, and the best part is that you always know who won, thanks to the drag strip.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:10 PM
RedSS454
Veteran

There used to be 3-4 tracks withing 30 minutes drive time here on the Island. Now that's going back 40-50 years. There is still one oval track, but all the drag strips have disappeared. There is supposed to be one being built in a abandoned 600 acre Industrial Park, but the neighbors are going to shoot it down. Why? The sound and the pollution. Oh, so a Corvette in your bedroom is better for you then the sound?

We get a couple deaths a year here. Last year a 'vette plowed through a fence and into a guys home almost killing the residents. But, this is better then having a 'loud' track. [:@] So the answer is no, the track's aren't doing anything. Occaisionally the cops will shut down a two lane road, but it is usually for filming of a video.

We need a track. Englishtown is way to far.

Chris

Old 05-06-2006, 12:02 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Tracks are fine, but with the demand for housing, many folks have to drive many miles to get to one. Even if one were nearby, you'd only get a small percentage of the people out there. There are too many slow-thinking "opportunity racers" out there who can't think past the next stoplight.......

Dusty

Old 05-06-2006, 12:55 AM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

i can see why people street race, from here i believe the closest track is in epping(sp?) new hampshire, thats a two hour drive and from my house its less than 5 minutes the the mass pike

Old 05-06-2006, 01:21 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I would rather make a day of it. It's nice to be able to race on any track and not worry about getting pulled over, possibly hitting animals and screwing up my fascia, oncoming traffic...etc.

Plus, if things go wrong, you hurt yourself and your car and possibly other car and drivers who know the risk and have paid to take them.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:10 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

screw tracks street racing is so much better. i would rather dodge cars at 95 then cruise on an open track at 105.

Old 05-06-2006, 03:30 AM
casper
Legend

There is no track around here. I think if there was there would not be as many people street racing. The 2 guys that happen to roll up to a stop light, pass each other on the highway or think that there car is faster than everybodys are still gonna street race. The closest track to me is about 3 hours away.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:46 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

i personally would go to a track if it was the right environment (not safety *****..... keep it safe but dont be a jerk to everyone, let the people have fun)

but i think the majority of people would still street race; most people like the thrill of the stoplight to stoplight

(which i understand, i just dont wanna be the guy you read about in the paper with his car/truck wrapped around a tree.....)

Old 05-06-2006, 04:58 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

i personally would go to a track if it was the right environment (not safety *****..... keep it safe but dont be a jerk to everyone, let the people have fun)

but i think the majority of people would still street race; most people like the thrill of the stoplight to stoplight

(which i understand, i just dont wanna be the guy you read about in the paper with his car/truck wrapped around a tree.....)

just dont do it while drunk and u shouldnt be aroudn a tree unless you really suck at driving.

Quick Reply: Does having a track help keep street racing to a minimum?