Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

racing a celica

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:35 AM
00stratusman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing a celica

I was in Columbus in my stock '00 Stratus, and had just left Easton, which is one of the biggest shopping centers on the eastside. It's around 9:00 pm on a Friday night, so the road's pretty busy. Everyone's doing like 45,50mph and I'm getting pretty bored, so I find a whole in the traffic and gun it, before I know it I'm weaving in and out of traffic doing like 70,75mph. And as I'm passing cars I'm paying attention to the traffic ahead of me, when I check my review mirror and see a set of headlights jerk out from behind a car and start catching up to me really fast. My first thought was "OH CRAP, COP!!!" then I remembered I hadn't passed a cop and started to recognize the headlights as belonging to a '00+ Toyota Celica. So I slowed done just to see what this guy wanted. He caught up to me, looked at me, gave me the race signal, dropped a gear (which is when I heard his fart can) and took off. So I floored it and caugt up to and passed him, then we played the typical cat and mouse game for a few miles and came up on a light, at this point I was ahead of him. Well, right after the intersection the two lanes merge, and had put enough distance between him and I through the intersection that he didn't have enough time to pass me, so I won. I don't know if I won because I had luck, skill, or a good ol' Americanmade car, but I won.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:02 PM
tyler819
Veteran
Default RE: racing a celica

the toyota celica gt is really slow, especially the auto ones. I know this because my friend with a '92 integra autobone stock beat one thatwe gave a2 car length head start. He was in front of us untill we got to 2nd gear and then we passed him easily and kept on pulling on him, i got the whole thing on camera. But the celica gt-s is a different story, they are pretty quick with 180hp.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:16 PM
00stratusman

I thought it was just kind of funny that a bone stock Stratus beat a Celica, alot of my friends didn't believe me. They have the whole "it's a Celica, so it's got to be fast" idea. That and the look on the guys face when I passed him the last time was priceless, it was "Wait, I have a Celica, I'm supposed to win?!?"

Old 01-23-2007, 02:13 AM
tyler819
Veteran

lol yea was it manuel or auto? because i know that the auto ones probly run close to a 17 in the 1/4 mile. I should put the vids on this post of me and my friend giving a celica two car lengths and beating it by like 4.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:39 PM
skate_or_die2008
Rookie

That does suprize me but thats becaue i dont know much about celicas ive heard from friends that they were fast and they do look it but i've never tested it ... thats awesome man.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO!!

LOL!!!

But its nice to put those things where they should be. There was a Celica here not just a couple months ago that wanted to run. All I could tell was it had underglow and lambo door conversion. I lost him easily.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:18 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah...ive driven a few of the auto base model celicas, and they arent very fast at all.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:52 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to show how slow the Celica GTS is with an auto, a friend of mine got a Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 with the 6-spd.instead of the manual Celica GTS. The numbers show the Tiburon GT quicker to 60 mph, but the both have the same 1/4 mile times.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:21 PM
00stratusman

Sorry, no video, it would be funny though. It was a manual, but form the sounds of it that really didn't matter too much. I don't get the lambo door conversion, no offense if anyone has them, it just seems like all the cars I see that have them are either all-show cars or heavy-as-hell ricers who couldn't run even if they wanted too. But yeah I had to have him by 2 or 3 car lengths.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:12 PM
skate_or_die2008
Rookie

It just depends what its on but some lambo doors look pretty kool

Quick Reply: racing a celica