DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Racing Talk (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/racing-talk-130/)
-   -   COT Debut - Why Bristol? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/racing-talk/95958-cot-debut-why-bristol.html)

BTurk 03-01-2007 01:46 PM

COT Debut - Why Bristol?

Anyone else wonder why they picked BRISTOL of all places to debut the Car of Tomorrow? Cause I don't see the logic in this.I mean did someone really stand up in a NASCAR board room and say:

"Hey I've got a great idea! Let's take all thebrand new cars that no one has ever raced before and start them out at Bristol, a track that :

1.Is narrow and hasonly one racing groove, never mind the fact that the cars are now 4 inches wider

2.Isa place where the drivers bump each other and scrape the wall everywhere. Hey, that's a great place to test the durability of that new fragile looking rear wing and front air splitter! Nevermind the fact that the words you'll probably hear most from the announcers booth are "Caution is out, there's debris on the front stretch, looks like someone else lost a front splitter."

3. The aerodynamic template of the car means absolutely nothing and half the drivers could win with a chassis, engine, wheels, seat and that's it.

It'll be great, and at the end of the race the teams will have learned very little about the cars handling and we'll have 20+ race cars that will have to be rebuilt and fixed or completely scrapped, the teams won't mind tearing a whole car up in its first race because we made these to be more cost effective! It's perfect!

Ok, I know I got a little carried away, and I'm all for the Car of Tomorrow, I just don't see Bristol as being the right track to debut it at. What do you all think?

dustyloins 03-01-2007 08:40 PM

RE: COT Debut - Why Bristol?

TV ratings for the Bristol Race (as well as others) were down in 2006 compared to 2005.

Dusty

TMS Bill 03-01-2007 11:15 PM

Bristol is the first track raced at where speeds don't get insane. The COT was called "The Brick" during it's design phase. It was designed to (once again) slow down the racers. Huge, wide, upright billboard of a windshield ... SO much drag. Slip it into a race where speeds are relatively low anyway and maybe no one will notice.

Midnight SRT 03-02-2007 03:00 AM

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

TV ratings for the Bristol Race (as well as others) were down in 2006 compared to 2005.

Dusty
OK........ [sm=grin.gif]

anyway...

Bristol actually might be a good track for these cars, considering how the COT is designed.

scatpackmopar 03-08-2007 07:16 PM

I would like to see the car of tomorrow full time next year. I still say the car of tomorrow will bring back racing to the drivers and teams eliminating unfair aero advantages that came from NASCAR's stupid templates that that always seemed to benefit Chevy. The car of tomorrow will also eliminate the coil binding that has ruined that competition.