Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

1986 ramcharger engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 PM
YOTA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1986 ramcharger engine questions

hi iv got an 86 with a 318-727 trans my question is its been sitting for about 4 years what can i do to get the engine running that wont hurt anything im kinda flying blind here.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:39 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first, pull the plugs and see if it turns over freely, and wouldnt hurt to put a little oil in the spark plug holes, a tune up--plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all oil and filter change, probably have to pull the carb and clean it, new fuel lines would be good, and if you have bad fuel in the tank, well start pulling your hair out now, there are ways to clean it, but i have never had very good luck with it, the best option is to find a clean tank and replace it, if the fuel just smells bad and is all still liquid you will be ok with a drain and flush, but if it has varnished or has other contamination, it really sucks, good luck

Old 02-08-2010, 01:46 PM
LRevell
Thumbs up

DT75, thanks for the tips! I have an '85 Ramcharger, same 318 motor and trans - also been sitting several years. I know I need a new radiator and suspect a bad fuel pump.
Have been meaning to get her running again, but the lousy gas mileage kept it back burnered.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Hammer Down
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a can or two of seafoam in the tank before draining would help to loosen up any varnish and gunk before draining.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Guitar Man

We have the same truck and our neighbor said the carburetor is hooked up incorrectly anyone got a place that shows how to reattach it properly?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Guitar Man

We have the same truck (86 Power Wagon, 318 engine) and our neighbor said the carburetor is hooked up incorrectly. Anyone got a site that shows how to properly reattach one?

Quick Reply: 1986 ramcharger engine questions