Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

'88 RC has a vibrations and rattling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM
grimm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 RC has a vibrations and rattling?

Hello all, I have a couple questions about my 88 RC.
It has a 360/727/241 driveline, and I have vibrations sometimes. They seem to go through the steering wheel, and happens from 95km and up on the speedo (its also out by at least 10, i havnt had it over 105), but its not consistent. If it does at 95, it might quit when I hit 100,then resume at 105, or stop when I slow down some and then start again. It doesnt seem to matter on the weather, itll do it whether its -30*C or 0*C. I noticed one day that the rear drive shaft has a dent in it, would this maybe be the culprit?
Also I have a rattling in the front end, it seems to be coming from under the trans hump/pass side. It mainly does it over washboards or repeated bumps, but it also is not consistent and doesnt do it regular. I checked the shocks/u-bolts/spring hangers and they all seem tight, so im not sure what it is. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Bad_Moose
Rookie

I have a '89 w/150k miles.

Sounds to me like a tie rod end, possibly ball joints or even a bad u-joint.

Out of balance drive shaft it would get worse as your speed increased.

as to the rattle it is 25 years old, ball joints, spring bushings, broken motor, trans, transfer case mount anything that's mounted. Take a pry bar and check your mounts and front end parts, you can have someone turn the steering wheel and look to see if anything is moving in a direction is shouldn't.

hope this helps

Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 PM
rjtx667
Amateur

if you feel it on the steering wheel there is a high probability that its the front end. I would defiantly check the tie rod ends. I have had 3 of these trucks and every single one had bad tie rod ends, and 1 had bad ball joints.

The tie rod ends are easy to replace and are not too bad of a price off amazon or rock auto. Go for the moog problem solvers.

If its anything like mine when you take the tie rod down, they are so warn out there is no stiffness to them at all, and it can cause some bad walking as well.

ok... I pulled out my 92 FSM and here are a list of things to check for front wheel shimmy, which is what this sounds like.

1) loose or worn wheel bearings
2) wheel/tire out of balance
3) uneven tire tread wear
4) worn tie rod ends
5) loose or worn suspension arm bushings (not really applicable on 4wd)
6) loose or worn upper suspension ball joint
7) incorrect front wheel alignment (particularly caster)

I can attest to number 7 as well, drove the truck for about a day after I replaced the tie rod ends, was a very scary experience and I suggest once they are replaced don't go above about 50 till you get it aligned.

Hope it helps

Quick Reply: '88 RC has a vibrations and rattling?