DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/ramcharger-trailduster-and-power-wagon-59/)
-   -   1978 Ramcharger - My "new" rig (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/ramcharger-trailduster-and-power-wagon/374782-1978-ramcharger-my-new-rig.html)

dozer556 05-11-2014 12:53 AM

1978 Ramcharger - My "new" rig

2 Attachment(s)
Two quick cellphone shots of the newest addition to my Mopar family, a '78 RC SE -360 & 727, NP203, PS, PB.

Attachment 36504

Attachment 36505

More info & pics to come. Show me your RCs while you're in here!

RDuck 05-11-2014 08:38 AM

That is sweet. I owned a 79.
Couple quick tips...
1. Pull the transmission out and swap the output shaft and install a NP208 out of an 80 and up. Then swap front diff out for 80 up with locking hubs.
2. 80 and up steering box does fit. Gotta keep your pitman arm.
3. 80 up tilt steering column fits but adapter needs to be made to wire it up.
I did it. Easy enough.
4. Weld cracks up around steering box. Lol.
5. While transmission is out, plug existing vent behind torque converter and drill and tap a new one in the top of the case for a fitting to snorkel the vent up high.
6. 8 lug diffs fit great. Dana 44/60. Even Chevy 14 bolts fit the rear without a hassle.
7. Front output flange on 208 fits rear also. If a lift is in the future its a great place for a rear CV. I had a front CV on the rear shaft and never broke it. Broke my truck plenty but not the shafts.
8. CV can have the stops ground off for more flex. I did mine. Never broke. But could I suppose. 8" Lift is a lot in a 106" wb truck.

I could go on but will stop.
Very nice ride you have.

dozer556 05-11-2014 11:45 PM

I'm a little bummed because I can't find my camera at the moment, and I'd like to post some more pics.

Anyway, thanks for tips. I've got a couple of them on the list already.

Overall, she's in decent shape. She's got some cancer in the drivers side door and rear quarter, and some surface rust & scale on the floor. Otherwise she seems pretty solid. Front fenders are good, the entire rear of the interior floor is excellent, top is worn but pretty nice and no dings. Of course, all the seals, window felts, etc. are shot to hell. The paint is very faded and looks original with no touchups - paint code PY8753, which I believe is Medium Blue Metallic. The grille is not too badly beat up, but could use some work.

The engine is a 360, and one of the POs swapped on an Edelbrock Performer intake and carb at some point. Headers and true duals blowing through glasspacks means it's a little loud when you mash the pedal. The 727 shifts really smoothly, and the 203 actually works, as do the dash lights showing the hi or low LOC positions.

The interior is hashed. Leaking top means the carpet has been pulled up. Seats are original and blue with a funky pattern. Rollbar is in place. SE console is there too, minus the lock. Dash is mostly whole, minus the radio. Another PO added a small tach to the right side panel. Not awesome but definitely workable.

The bumpers look straight, but they've been dinged. The front is tweaked on the passenger side, the rear has a twist to it and some surface rust. There is a tow package in place. The tire carrier looks factory, and it came with another 8-spoke wagon wheel and an ancient Uniroyal Land-Trac that I'm going to save for the tire museum.

Speaking of tires, it's got a set of General Grabber APs in 31x10.5x15 that have some nice tread left but are totally dry-rotted. I need to get them off the truck ASAP. Which brings me to...

Not sure what I'm going to do with her, except spend my spare cash on things and fix a bunch of broken stuff. My better half wants a Zombie Apocalypse vehicle that can tow a cute little travel trailer when it needs to. I'm eventually thinking a small lift and some 33s, an axle swap to get the bigger bolt pattern (in 5-bolt, maybe step up to the 8-bolt), and a Magnum 5.9 upgrade in the engine compartment (got one already, so it has got to go into something), but the reality is that I'll end up redoing all the things that make or break a driver first - the aforementioned seals and gaskets, fixing the rust, sprucing up the interior, getting on a set of new tires, adding a radio, etc., blah blah.

We all need something to work on, right? (As if I didn't have enough to do on my D150...)

RDuck 05-12-2014 06:55 AM

I started with a mild face lift.
Ended up a full on monster.
At one time I had 21.5x16.1 Goodyear Terra tires on it.
Being a welder I built my own rims.
16" wide. The tires are 44"x21.5"x16.1".
Massive fender cutting required losing the front wheel wells.

I'll see if I can post an old pic. Not many pics left of that toy.

dozer556 05-15-2014 04:20 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Some more pics...

First, the rust. It's actually not so bad, compared to some vehicles I've owned. It's also fixable with some patch panels, a welder and some elbow grease.

Driver's side door & rocker, rear:

Attachment 36399

Driver's side door, front:

Attachment 36400

The only ding on the truck is the driver's side rear, under the taillight:

Attachment 36401

You can really see the paint fade here:

Attachment 36402

Interior is hased, but I wish I could save those funky 70's seatcovers:

Attachment 36403

Attachment 36404

Attachment 36405