Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

1988 ramcharger newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Oldbull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what are some good performance parts to start with?? Are there any good websites that have a bug variety of parts for these trucks?

Old 10-10-2017, 09:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Jegs, Summit, lots o' folks sell parts.

I would start with headers, and a good free-flowing exhaust. Then maybe a better intake manifold..... A lot depends on what your power goals are, and what kind of budget you are going to be working with.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Oldbull

Id like to get maybe 300-400 hp?? Is that reasonable?? I was thinking about doing hooker headers and cherry bomb glasspacks. Would that be a good sounding exhaust setup?? Cherry bomb makes a glasspack turn down that bolts to the end of the manifold and turns down underneath the cab i was thinking about doing that. But i want it to have a nice sound, not just like a loud obnoxious old v8 sound

Old 10-10-2017, 11:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Given your is an SUV, you want the exhaust to exit either at the rear, or, at least, behind the rear tires, otherwise, it will find its way inside. Not a good scene. (also, I don't think its legal.... depends on where you are I suppose.)

There are a buncha videos on youtube, that will give you an idea of what various exhaust combinations sound like. Might want to explore there, and see what ya like.

For that kind of power, you are likely going to need headers, heads, intake, cam, and custom tuning..... The tuning can get expensive.... gotta send the PCM out, they do their thing, you try it out, if it works good, you are set, if not, gotta send it back again. (and they will probably want to see some data logs as well.)

Have you considered just doing a crate motor?

Old 10-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Oldbull

Yes i have but i read youd have to send the computer out for that too. As well as change the fuel tank or sending unit?? If i was to send the computer out where wouod i send it to?? Who or what company tunes these trucks

Old 10-10-2017, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Only one I know of is B&G something or other.

If you were feelin' really froggy..... you could upgrade to a 96-97 OBDII system, (and hence, a magnum motor, and 4 speed auto) and be able to flash your pcm. Still would have to spend for the tuner, and custom tunes (around 500 bucks.) but, it would be MUCH easier to get it dialed in.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:34 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Up grade to a magnum motor and run a carb. Then you don't need to mess with the pcm. You still can use it to run the ignition.
http://www.magnumswap.com/first-steps/