Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon Grrrr!! Tough Trucks! The Dodge Ramcharger and Plymouth Trailduster were full size SUV's that had good looks and brute strength. The Dodge Power Wagon was comparable to them in toughness, but came in pickup truck form only.

Should I buy 1986 2wd Ramcharger?

Old 06-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Wallyloves5thavenues
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy 1986 2wd Ramcharger?

Hello, I'm a FNG here. Hope ya'll will share some wisdom. We used these Ramchargers on the flight line when I was overseas. The motor pool loved them. Reliable to a fault. Always wanted one. A local guy is selling an '86 he got on ebay from a guy on the coast. Two wheel drive, undetermined number of miles. 318. Someone put a one barrel carb on it. Guess the leanburn II system went out, and they want'd better gas mileage. He really motivated to sell. Asking 1,500 but will take less.
What should I look for in this thirty three year old truck and how would you determine a price.
Thanks,
Wally

Old 06-08-2019, 07:52 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

RUST The first thing to look for!

Old 06-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Wallyloves5thavenues

Moparite, gulf coast not a problem. What about the internals of a thirty plus year old truck. If no oil leaks, what would you look for in engine and transmission. I had two Chrysler Fifth Avenues and the absolute only problem I ever had,was changing out that lean burn carb. After thirty years understandable. What is the solution to this currently?

Old 06-09-2019, 09:02 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

It's like any other car purchase, Check the oil/fluid listen for odd noises leaks etc.. Not sure what gaskets they used in the 80's but the intake to block they use to use cork gaskets and they leaked a lot. If i had it the first thing that would go is the intake/carb. Put on an edelbrock intake and a 4 bbl carb of you choice( i like holleys) or stick with 2bbl intake. The stock one is fine but it didn't do much for performance. The 318/360 727 combo is pretty much a good set up. There is a reason why it was so long. But with anything maintenance an how many miles are on it will tell you. If you take off the oil fill and see a lot of black crud tha't a sign it wasn't maintained. The trans fluid should be red not brown and smell burnt. As for price there are a tot a factors, Look around and see what others sold for in similar condition. That will give you an idea. But if it's rust free and drives fine i'd say go for it. Don't know handy you are but a magnum swap with a overdrive trans would definitely be something to consider if the drive train is tired.

http://www.magnumswap.com/first-steps/

Old 06-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Wallyloves5thavenues

Good advise Moparite. I don't have the time or money to do any swops on a vehicle right now. I thought I would wait in finding one. But considering the appalling POS they call reliable vehicles today, I don't think I can wait much longer. There are a few Ramchargers and Blazers running around town. But, the owners won't let them go for love or money. This trend of computerized non-sense has got to stop. I know many, many people who are looking for an old reliable carburated truck, made out of iron and steel.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Wallyloves5thavenues

Let me get off topic for a minute. When I was overseas, there was a british company that had a government contract to militarize modern trucks. The arabs use light trucks (mainly ancient toyota hi-lux's) as personnel carriers, supply and even mount anti-aircraft guns in the beds. This company would purchase new Toyota,Nissan,GM and Dodge trucks. Then they took off most of the electronic crap to make them more reliable. They took off emissions parts, airbags, cut off engine switchs, dome lights, buzzers, put on new heavy duty bumpers. They re-programmed the computer.
If this can be done for military vehicles why can't we do this with our rides? I've done some research modern car computers are programmed with C programming language or Assembler language. Dodge uses C. If I have to get a newer vehicle why not militarize it. Have you heard of anyone doing this?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallyloves5thavenues
Let me get off topic for a minute. When I was overseas, there was a british company that had a government contract to militarize modern trucks. The arabs use light trucks (mainly ancient toyota hi-lux's) as personnel carriers, supply and even mount anti-aircraft guns in the beds. This company would purchase new Toyota,Nissan,GM and Dodge trucks. Then they took off most of the electronic crap to make them more reliable. They took off emissions parts, airbags, cut off engine switchs, dome lights, buzzers, put on new heavy duty bumpers. They re-programmed the computer.
If this can be done for military vehicles why can't we do this with our rides? I've done some research modern car computers are programmed with C programming language or Assembler language. Dodge uses C. If I have to get a newer vehicle why not militarize it. Have you heard of anyone doing this?
The military isn't constrained by frivolous things like "emissions standards"....... We, the general public, however, are, and uncle Sam gets highly offended if we pull a stunt like that. Many states have inspections, just to make sure you AREN'T doing something like that. Heck, in New Jersey, you can't even pump your own gas........ (I don't remember the last time someone else pumped my gas for me..... that didn't arrive at the gas station IN my vehicle......)

I agree with you though, the 'computerization' of modern vehicles is downright depressing. Heck, even simply things like headlights, and turn signals now require a friggin' computer, and of course, those systems fail, and its an arm, leg, half you soul, and first born male child to get 'em fixed. (and if you don't have kids, well, tough luck, no fix for YOU!) Unfortunately, I see this trend continuing, and the internal combustion engine itself is now living on borrowed time. Everything is going electric. Nissan is rumored to be thinking about a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle again.... Likely within ten years, twenty at the outside, ICEs will be a part of history......

Old 10-25-2019, 07:03 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

the 318 NEVER had a "1 barrel carb" even though they might look that way by looking at the choke butterfly. lots of people think that but no, that would be a 2 barrel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I buy 1986 2wd Ramcharger?