DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/ramcharger-trailduster-and-power-wagon-59/)
-   -   what kind of axles? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/ramcharger-trailduster-and-power-wagon/51863-what-kind-of-axles.html)

b2boomer 03-13-2006 01:52 AM

what kind of axles?

i just purchased a 1976 d100 power wagon 4X4,can anyone tell me a little about the axles and the t-case it is 5 lug, no visible lockable hubs,318 i think manual tranny. how does the 4X4 work? thank you for your time

steved 03-13-2006 07:01 PM

RE: what kind of axles?

Alxes will most likely be a D44F and Corp 9.25 rear.

The D44F probably has a large nut in the center of the hub, correct?? It is most likely a fulltime 4wd truck...those D44s were noted to eat bearings...if you take the wheel off, you will see an extra hole between two of the wheel studs...if you rotate this hole straight up, you can add grease to those bearings with a grease gun (for zerk fittings) unless someone has moved it from the straight up.

And if it is a fulltime 4wd truck, it will have a NP203 transfercase. It has 5 positions...clear forward is "lo-loc", one notch back is "lo", then nuetral, then "hi", then finally all the way back is "hi-loc". Normal driving is done in "hi"...extremely slippery roads (snow) may need "hi loc". You can use lo and lo-loc offroad.

steved

b2boomer 03-14-2006 02:50 AM

are these called unit bearings?and if so can i just take knuckles from a ford or chevy to eleminate them?and if so what make and year should i find to replace these unit bearing knuckles because i am going to be offroading quite a bit and i have heard that the unit bearings suck and are not good for what i want the axles for,thank you very much for your reply and your time,you have been very informative

The Burning Rom 03-14-2006 02:52 AM

http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

That should help you identify them.

Most likely it is the Dana 44 and 9 1/4" Corporate though, especially since you say they're 5 lug.

The T-case could be an NP205 though. You'd be very lucky if it was. Those are virtually bullet-proof! :D

b2boomer 03-14-2006 03:06 AM

thanks for replying yes your right the np-205's are very durable ,but mine has the dreaded 203which i just got rid of.but could i do a knuckle swap like i mentioned in my last post?and then i could have manual locking hubs,thank you for the info and your time. kevin

steved 03-14-2006 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: b2boomer

thanks for replying yes your right the np-205's are very durable ,but mine has the dreaded 203which i just got rid of.but could i do a knuckle swap like i mentioned in my last post?and then i could have manual locking hubs,thank you for the info and your time. kevin
Since you stated they had NO HUBS, that ruled out an NP205.

I don't know what is so "dreaded" about the NP203...it is rated every bit as high as a NP205 (it came in 10k pound trucks). The NP203 only really had issues because people didn't maintain them...I had several of these that were still going strong at 200k+ miles. And if you think the chain is the weak link...it is wider (and heavier) than the tcases under the newer rams with a CTD up front.

These axles do not have unit bearings...each bearing/race is replaceable within each hub, they are very similar to the newer rams with the unit bearings because both are a live-spindle design.

As for the swap...unless you swap tailshafts and tailshaft housing on the tranny...the only thing you can bolt to that tranny is a 203. If I were to do a swap, I would find a D44/9.25 from a 80-84 dodge truck...you need to swap the rear too because this is the only [truck] D44 dodge used the small 5x4.5 pattern on. The 80-84 will give you several advantages...lockout hubs, 5x5.5 pattern, these are non-CAD axles, and are a direct bolt in. Your other option since you need to swap the rear too, would be to find a set of axles from a 3/4 ton (eight lug)...while the D44HD front axle would be no stronger (unless you stumble on a D60F), you could upgrade the rear to a fullfloat axle (D60 most common). Converting to GM stuff will only get you headache...the axles are 6 lug (or eight if 3/4 ton)...you going to carry two spares?

Since I had one of these trucks, IMHO, I'd wheel the crap out of it...make sure the tcase is filled with 10w30 motor oil (this is what they call for), grease the front D44 hubs everytime you get back from a wheeling trip (to get the mud/water out of them), and have fun till you actually break it...then upgrade.

steved

b2boomer 03-15-2006 12:38 AM

hey steve can you give me a simple basic description of how it works mechanicly the d-44locks up to work offroad or does it stay locked?i actually got a heck of a deal on this power wagon the motor is locked up and the tranny is burnt and as for the t-case it has a hole in it the size of nebraska i paid $200.00 the truck is on its way to the crusher all i took was the leafs and front and rear axle assemblys i want to put this in a bronco 2 dont laugh how can i make this d-44 work part time or what parts will interchange with it thanks alot for the good info steve

steved 03-15-2006 11:48 AM

Ok, first, do you have the correct side differential drop?? I though most fords were a driver's side drop...that dodge D44F will be a passenger side drop. If you intend on using your factory tcase, it won't work if the drops are different.

Secondly, that axle doesn't have any "locking" mechanism...it is a, for lack of any better term, direct drive. The hubs are directly connected to the axleshafts...there is no way to unlock it. That axle is actually probably a good choice for a B2 if it will work...you don't have the weight of a fullsize and therefore the bearings should not cause you any problems if maintained...the outer shafts are a true 1.3/30 spline (like the inners), not the more common 19 spline stub, so they are a touch stronger.

On the down side, without locking hubs, you will suffer slightly in fuel mileage and may get a little extra vibration...but if this is just a "toy" that gets driven to the trail and on the trail...I would not worry about that. And to point out this fact, all the newer dodges run a very similar set up...no locking hubs, no disconnect (2001 up), front drivetrain just spins all the time...it doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal.

I would not be afraid to run this axle...all the ones I had served me well...just keep the bearings full of grease.

steved

Dr. Righteous 04-26-2006 12:47 PM

HEY Steved,

In a similar situation with a '78 W150 Powerwagon my Dad gave to me after he fried the clutch.
It has been converted to "part time" 4wd, the front hubs have lockouts. But my goal is a tough trail beast.
I need to run AT LEAST 35" mudders. Are the stock axles up to it??
All this truck needs (mechanically) is a clutch. It has the wimpy 3 speed manual which I would LOVE to swap in a NP435.
The xfer case is a NP203. As you said before, an excellent case but overshadowed by it's big brother the NP205 with GEARS instead of a chain. BUT, as far as cases go, the NP203 is MUCH tougher than the newer aluminum cases.