DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Ramcharger, Trailduster & Power Wagon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/ramcharger-trailduster-and-power-wagon-59/)
-   -   2006 Power Wagon Question axel lock problems (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/ramcharger-trailduster-and-power-wagon/78549-2006-power-wagon-question-axel-lock-problems.html)

Jimmy1 10-23-2006 09:08 PM

2006 Power Wagon Question axel lock problems

Anyone have any trouble getting their getting the front and rear axels to lock ? my rear wheels will lock after a while of fussing with it but the front ones will not.

JRH_PowerWagon_06 02-24-2007 07:47 AM

RE: 2006 Power Wagon Question axel lock problems

Did you ever get them to work Jimmy?
I tried mine and they worked ok. The smart bar too.
Did you try driving backwards a little bit to engage them. I had to do that for the Front Locker to engage.

Powerubi Wacon 03-07-2007 05:04 AM

I have the same problem with my 2005. Sometimes they will lock (rear/front) within a few feet. Most of the time it takes quite a bit longer. There have been times where I have driven down the trail, a mile or two, waiting for them to lock, without ever locking. The anti-swaybar disconnect, on the other hand, seems to react almost instantly.

coder 03-13-2007 10:31 PM

Hello All,

I just got my new 07 Powerwagon a few days ago, my first Dodge. I just tried the front and rear lockers. The manual says must be in 4LOW, drive less than 3 MPH, did not work when I went over that, and swerving from side-to-side will help. It took my a few try's but it worked for me, hope that helps.

FD929 04-14-2007 12:08 PM

Lockers work fine for me at 24k miles. Sway bar is another thing ...

FD929 06-19-2007 02:19 PM

Well dodge did me one good. The tech's couldn't figure out why my sway bar wouldn't lock back into place, so they just replaced the whole damn thing. :D

JRH_PowerWagon_06 06-20-2007 05:39 AM

ORIGINAL: FD929

Well dodge did me one good. The tech's couldn't figure out why my sway bar wouldn't lock back into place, so they just replaced the whole damn thing. :D
How did you initially know thatthe sway barwas not re-connected? By the dash light on the control button, or did you notice by a change in the trucks on-road handling. Ihave never checked to verify thebar actually works on my truck.

If the problem was in the smart bar control module, they have to replace theentire assembly because it is physically integrated together with the bar.

gooddoc 06-22-2007 12:40 PM

I had similar problems with my '06 that was fixed after they replaced the rear locker and the sway bar assembly. It always locked up quickly after that. So far I've had no problems locking the '07 axles, but I've only attempted it a couple of times since it only has about 350 miles on it. I appears the '06 model year has some issues. I was told the replacement sway bar on my '06 was redesigned from the original, and it did solve the problem. I can't be sure though if it was the rear locker or the sway bar that was the problem since they were both replaced.

Good luck.

JRH_PowerWagon_06 06-25-2007 07:30 AM

According to the Dodge '06 Wiring Diagrams, the front and rear electronic lockers are routed through the smart bar control module located on the bar itself, so I could see howchanging it could solve some locker problems some people are having. This is also the main reason finding a way to make the lockers work in 4HI on a Power Wagon will be next to impossible (compared to the Jeep Rubicon Tru-lock's thatpeople have found away around).

gooddoc 07-02-2007 01:52 AM

I saw this thread again and just remembered something that works for me when the lockers don't want to engage quickly. Take it out of 4-L into 4-H just briefly, then go back into 4-L but make sure you solidly seat the transfer case. I don't know if it's the resetting of the smart bar or the possibiltythat the transfer case is not REALLY socked into 4-L, but it locks quickly after that for me. As was already said - backing up, turning the wheel, and slow speedare also high on the list to go through when locking up. Perhaps it's all voodoo, but I figured I'd share what works for me