2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 05:13 PM
jimamoses
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission removal

My tranny is slipping and I found part of a clutch pack ring in the pan. I'm considering doing the removal and installation of the trany myself to save some $$. Is this something that a guy who is "kinda ok" with a wrench can handle?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 04-02-2016, 06:24 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The R&R, and not the rebuild? Yeah, a guy who knows how to pay attention and turn wrenches at the same time can pull that off. Just be sure to read through the factory service manual procedure a time or two, and then go crawl over and under and around the truck to make sure that you know what you're looking at before you start taking things apart. That way, if you find something that doesn't look like what the manual led you to expect you can ask about it.

If you've got all tools and consumables (ATF, etc.) on hand at the start, this being your first one, plan on a solid day and a half or two full days for it. With sufficient experience it's a six to eight hour job.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A transmission adapter for your floor jack will help a great deal.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what you have, but assuming it is a Gen2, that has never had a rebuild, You can expect to get the biggest fight from trying to pop the crossmember out of the rails. After that as long as you pay close attention there isn't many ways you could put it back together wrong....and have it actually go fully together and sealed.

I can typically think my way around and repair anything you put in front of Me, but I am no tranny guy. The key is not psyching yourself out over it, once out and on a work bench it it is all about using observation skills and memory to keep track of what bolt came of what hole, and what part came out of where and how.

Last edited by Double Oh Dodge; 04-02-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Consider cutting and rewelding the Y pipe so you don't have to mess with the whole exhaust.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:24 PM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2bit
Consider cutting and rewelding the Y pipe so you don't have to mess with the whole exhaust.
My exhaust was already in need of attention and not only did I NOT cut it, but it was not in my way at all. If it was in the way and made anything at all difficult, it was replacing the leaky oil pan gasket I noticed with the AT out of the way. I initially thought the rear main on the block was bad because I could not SEE the leak source, but knew it was dripping a bit only when hot.

Not only did I drop my own 46RE twice for oversight, but I also dropped the At out of another 1500 2wd for the case that detonated, AND 2 4wd dakota 46 RH's for a friend ALL without cutting exhaust........I Sir, am long way from even being close to a transmission expert
Now speaking with blunt and perhaps a bit of rude honesty.......cutting the exhaust was a totally unnecessary thing to do and nothing more than an idiotic choice, and additional unneeded repair.

A transmission shop technician won't cut your pipes to get it out because it is "easier".
If they ever do cut exhaust then odds are it is required due to an "X pipe" or "H pipe" Sport or performance type assembly further down the line than Our Rams are.

Last edited by Double Oh Dodge; 04-03-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:36 PM
jimamoses
Amateur

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
The R&R, and not the rebuild? Yeah, a guy who knows how to pay attention and turn wrenches at the same time can pull that off. Just be sure to read through the factory service manual procedure a time or two, and then go crawl over and under and around the truck to make sure that you know what you're looking at before you start taking things apart. That way, if you find something that doesn't look like what the manual led you to expect you can ask about it.

If you've got all tools and consumables (ATF, etc.) on hand at the start, this being your first one, plan on a solid day and a half or two full days for it. With sufficient experience it's a six to eight hour job.
Thank you sir!

Old 04-04-2016, 05:41 PM
jimamoses
Amateur

Originally Posted by Double Oh Dodge
Don't know what you have, but assuming it is a Gen2, that has never had a rebuild, You can expect to get the biggest fight from trying to pop the crossmember out of the rails. After that as long as you pay close attention there isn't many ways you could put it back together wrong....and have it actually go fully together and sealed.

I can typically think my way around and repair anything you put in front of Me, but I am no tranny guy. The key is not psyching yourself out over it, once out and on a work bench it it is all about using observation skills and memory to keep track of what bolt came of what hole, and what part came out of where and how.
Thank you very much sir!!

Quick Reply: Transmission removal