2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering wheel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 10:14 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel replacement

Somehow I got lucky at the salvage yard and found 2 steering wheels in immaculate condition for my 94 1500. On my way! Came out of a older Dakota, and the other out of a 2 gen Ram. Although this is a pretty easy procedure, I thought I'd just do a right up, and just share my experience.

Tools Needed:
Steering wheel puller
13/16 socket
Ratchet
10mm Deep Socket
Philips Screwdriver
Some pliers

1: Start by disconnecting the battery, as we will be removing the air bag.
2: I reccomend that you wait 5-10 minutes to let any additional power drain from the airbag, before working on the unit.
3: Take your philips screw driver and remove the two screws holding the cruise buttons in, if not equipped, the cover in its place at the bottom of the wheel. Be carful with the little lock clip, as it is fragile and might snap off.
Steering wheel replacement-img_3468.jpg

4: Now take your 10mm deep socket, is needs to be deep as the nuts holding the airbag on have studs that stick out kinda far. There are four nuts, remove them, and use some arm strength to turn the wheel, as you can't undo the 2 lower ones without turning the wheel. Have your keys handy, because if you turn the wheel too far, it will lock up, and you have to turn the ignition to unlock it. Once all 4 nuts are removed carefully pull the airbag unit out, and pull on the connector, and then set it off to the side.
Steering wheel replacement-img_3464.jpg
Steering wheel replacement-img_3462.jpg

5: now take your 13/16 and remove the center nut on the steering wheel.

6: Take your puller kit, which can be rented at most auto parts stores, and intall it onto the wheel and the center hub. And turn away. Should break free quite easily.
Steering wheel replacement-img_3466.jpg

7: once the wheel is loose, disconnect your horn connector, and then fish both the horn and cruise and airbag connectors through their respective holes. Be very careful that you don't pull off the clock spring as you fish the wires through as it will want to come off. And Viola, the wheel is removed.
Steering wheel replacement-img_3465.jpg

8: now reverse the steps as above and you will have a newish wheel put on. Jut remember that there is one big spring on the wheel so you won't be off or tilted when putting the wheel back on.
Steering wheel replacement-img_3472.jpg

9: also when putting the center 13/16 nut back on, torque it to 45 ft lbs as that is factory specs. If you don't have a torque wrench, tight is good.

10: If you put everything back together in reverse, then you are done! Enjoy your newish steering wheel

Bonus pics of the old wheel and new wheels.
Steering wheel replacement-img_3463.jpg
Steering wheel replacement-img_3469.jpg
Steering wheel replacement-img_3473.jpg
Steering wheel replacement-img_3456.jpg
Steering wheel replacement-img_3475.jpg
Steering wheel replacement-img_3458.jpg

Old 01-28-2017, 12:36 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice job, thank you. The new wheel looks a lot better.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:32 AM
Tboned
Rookie

Thanks for write up!

Old 01-28-2017, 07:48 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

Great job!

Now go to Advance Auto and get this particular steering wheel cover. Its the one I use. It will give it a nice modern feel and look, along with keeping it from looking like the old one down the line.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...30b/26983158-P

Old 01-28-2017, 10:11 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Indeed, very nice write-up.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:21 AM
eeretz

Hi @CJSuhr I hope you're doing fine.

I'm new to this forum. I found somewhat difficult to find a decent wheel like the one you just swapped. Your old one is better than mine that unluckily got in the hands of some chap with extreme anxiety around the honk buttons and peeled its leather.

That said, would you please sell this old one to me?

Thanks!

Eric.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:02 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

No need to hunt for good used ones anymore, You can get new leather that matches the original. Contact them if you have a 94-97 as the 98 and up is pictured. "Make sure your wheel looks as in pictures and if it does not, contact us prior to ordering."

https://www.redlinegoods.com/Ram9402...saAr7QEALw_wcB

Old 08-15-2021, 10:31 AM
Thomas bridges
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eeretz
Hi @CJSuhr I hope you're doing fine.

I'm new to this forum. I found somewhat difficult to find a decent wheel like the one you just swapped. Your old one is better than mine that unluckily got in the hands of some chap with extreme anxiety around the honk buttons and peeled its leather.

That said, would you please sell this old one to me?

Thanks!

Eric.
hey eric I got the exact one id be willing to sell. Let me know

Quick Reply: Steering wheel replacement