Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 manual hard shifting while stopped

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 manual hard shifting while stopped

Old 06-20-2019, 01:50 PM
Everett45
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dremel tool did the trick, finally got that cursed bearing race out. I cleaned out the hole and aside from some cut marks and mangling on the outer rim it felt fine and should easily accept a bearing. However, the needle bearing they gave me weeble wobbles around in the hole. It fits decent on the shaft, could be tighter though. Iíve heard that needle bearings are not a good way to go, they donít last with all the dust and eat your input shaft? Should I find an oillite bushing and if itís the same fit maybe center punch the OD of it?

Old 06-20-2019, 05:29 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could use a bushing if you can find one. Only time the pilot bearing actually does anything is when your in gear with the clutch disengaged, at a stop light, or stop sign, aside from keeping the input shaft centered, The input shaft will always spin at engine speed any other time. I usually put my truck in neutral and let the clutch out if I'm gonna be a minute or two at a light.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Ramman18
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never saw the OEM bearing, only the crappy one the shop had installed and my Sachs replacement which should be the same as the original. Both were needle style.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 manual hard shifting while stopped

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: