2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 10:26 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

buy your next set of seals from the dealer.

oil resides in every ac component. The accumulator is also a sump for oil. when condensers, accumulators, evaporators are replaced...oil must be added to replace the oil that leaves with the old part. There is a oil balance chart in service information that tells you the amounts to add when replacing a component.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:54 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
...every o ring in the system is to be replaced every single time the system is exposed to air?
Yes sir. It gets into a little bit of chemistry

Old 05-19-2019, 01:01 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you're maybe chasing a problem by not doing everything right at the same time. I had my system come apart on me as while back when changing my heater core. I read up on some stuff and from what it sounds like, you have to replace the accumulator and orifice tube when the system is exposed. Apparently you can also have issues with too much oil in the system. A/c is not my thing so I'm only going off what I've read and heard. I took my truck to a shop to have them recharge it and they told me my accumulator and tube was still fine. So who knows. Apparently I got the tube hooked back up and taken to the shop quick enough for things to still be alright.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:17 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

fixed orfice no...not unless its plugged or you had compressor failure.
accumulator...it has a desiccant that when exposed to air will become moisture laden. Moisture in an ac system reduces efficiency and can become acidic when mixed with oil and refrigerant. Some desiccants came be reclaimed; most cannot.

Quick Reply: AC Leaks