Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota Tech
Reload this Page >

Strange Fuel Problem, I think.....

1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Strange Fuel Problem, I think.....

Old 01-14-2019, 09:26 PM
Noonbailey501
Rookie

The repair manual you should have is the Factory Service Manual; it was printed by Bishko for Chrysler Corp, and you can sometimes find them on Ebay. (You may notice you don't drive a Chilton Dakota or a Haynes Dakota, but a Dodge Dakota.)

RwP

Ok I need some help Iím so confused especially the quote in (parentheses) about a Chilton Dakota or a Haynes Dakota is there a difference between the two as it seems to me there wouldnít be a difference except maybe a few things or is there actually a gag about people actually trying to look up what a Chilton Dakota is and not coming up with anything

Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 PM
RalphP
Champion

Heh.

No, it's a pre-emptive comment on folks that I recommend they get the factory service manual, and they'll say "I got both of them!" I ask which? They say "I have both Chilton's and Haynes!"

NEITHER is a FACTORY service manual. Now, if you drove a Chilton Dakota or a Haynes Dakota, they might qualify ...

But neither one is the FACTORY service manual. The FACTORY manual will say "Chrysler Corporation" on the front.

RwP

Old 01-15-2019, 12:01 AM
Noonbailey501
Rookie

So what is the difference in the factory manual and the others as I own the Haynes manual for my 96 DAKOTA and used it to reference from pretty often since YOUTUBE has nothing to offer in the way of help. You got forgive me for my ignorance, Iím just making sure if I just wasted my money on a book and/or need to find the Chrysler Corporation one instead and sorry for getting off the subject of this thread.
DB

Old 01-15-2019, 07:37 AM
RalphP
Champion

Let's see.

What's the difference between a Big Mac and a porterhouse steak prepared properly?

Especially when it comes to electrical; for electrical work, the Haynes and Chiltons won't even make good toilet paper.

Grab a FSM; compare the two. BIG hint #1 - in paper, the FSM is about 3x to 4x the size of the Haynes or the Chiltons.

(Bigger pages, more of them, both.)

RwP

Old 01-15-2019, 08:40 AM
yarddogg77

No worries about hijacking the thread as the issue is fixed. The factory service manual is much better. I don't have one for this truck but Haynes Chilton's lacks alot in most categories. Here's a question. Does the factory service manual cover more than one year and model?

Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Noonbailey501 View Post
So what is the difference in the factory manual and the others as I own the Haynes manual for my 96 DAKOTA and used it to reference from pretty often since YOUTUBE has nothing to offer in the way of help. You got forgive me for my ignorance, Iím just making sure if I just wasted my money on a book and/or need to find the Chrysler Corporation one instead and sorry for getting off the subject of this thread.
DB
The Factory Service manual is the book the mechanics at your dealer use when you bring in your vehicle. No they don't have all vehicles memorized. Look at the FSM's in the FAQ section.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:01 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by yarddogg77 View Post
No worries about hijacking the thread as the issue is fixed. The factory service manual is much better. I don't have one for this truck but Haynes Chilton's lacks alot in most categories. Here's a question. Does the factory service manual cover more than one year and model?
Yes, and No. They are specifically for the year on the label of the manual. If there aren't too many changes, it may apply to a range of years, with some differences. Typically, those changes are wire colors in the wiring diagrams. Of course, dodge, in their infinite wisdom, tends to make pretty significant changes even during the same 'generation' of whatever body style. I know in the second gen full sized trucks, they changed things in a major way on the electronics, and how pretty much anything electrical worked. So, the 97 manual simply won't work for the 98 and newer trucks. I don't *think* dodge did anything that strange on the first gen Dakotas, pretty sure they did on the second gens though.

TLR; Its best to have the correct manual for your year truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Fuel Problem, I think.....

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: